Drakan 2 random freezeups
(10-01-2009, 09:28 PM)elvin presler Wrote: Oh, I would not know how to compile dog poo...but, I did google a bit and found version 0.9.7.1913 (can't find the exact link again now but TONS of versions here: *removed*)

Results:
1. Very little trouble with the graphics on the trees. I saw it but only briefly and only once or twice.
2. With the speed hacks/tweaks, it was running at 100% and even a bit over at time...very, very fast compared to 0.9.6 or the 1888 release on the PCSX2 page.
3. I can't find anyway to run the PS2 bios alone to set up language and time and all that.

You can run bios even without the game ISO/DVD inserted.
That's exactly how (smoothly with minor GFX errors) it performs in 1736. 1913 is the old GUI version I take it. Well, good luck in your quest of awakening the dragon mother! Smile
Please check out http://wiki.pcsx2.net
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!

Sponsored links

(10-02-2009, 07:01 AM)ng__ Wrote: You can run bios even without the game ISO/DVD inserted.
That's exactly how (smoothly with minor GFX errors) it performs in 1736. 1913 is the old GUI version I take it.

No, this 1913 (using 1834 from same people now) thing is some build with the new GUI...apparently from someone other than the folks here. I don't know what the 1736 one is, never was able to find it. Is that another unofficial build? This other build I found still has the graphical glitches, just not as bad with the better frame rate. It's definitely playable though.

I can find no way to run the PS2 BIOS on this one though. Several of the usual options are missing (memcard settings, etc). If I try to run it without a cd/iso it just opens a browser to locate one rather than running the bios.
(10-03-2009, 02:31 AM)elvin presler Wrote: I can find no way to run the PS2 BIOS on this one though. Several of the usual options are missing (memcard settings, etc). If I try to run it without a cd/iso it just opens a browser to locate one rather than running the bios.

Play in English then Smile
Ok, I can upload both r1736 and r710 (which you'll be needing for sure) along with plugins and provide their links on Drakan Wiki page if you wish.
Find your favorite game and correct its page. You may help others looking for that info!
(10-03-2009, 01:30 PM)ng__ Wrote: Play in English then Smile
Ok, I can upload both r1736 and r710 (which you'll be needing for sure) along with plugins and provide their links on Drakan Wiki page if you wish.

Thanks, but this r1834 version seems to work as well as I think any will at this time...and I don't need 2 versions to run it that way. You may want to check it out yourself. I got it from a site named EMU.Crimsonrain. Don't know who they are, but they have many, many versions. Almost daily updates. Their newer versions seem to only run at 800x600 windowed oddly, but 1834 seems the best mix of speed, options vs stability for me. So far it has never crashed, locked up or had any slow down. Just a bit of texture problems that all except 0.9.6 have it seems. 0.9.6 is just too slow, not having VU Cycle Stealing, which seems to be the speed hack that makes all the difference. Huge speed up. Thanks again for that tip ng__.

As for the BIOS, I just ran it in 0.9.6, set it all up, then saved all the bios files, and a "memory card" with nothing but the system settings on it, then use that.
(10-03-2009, 09:40 PM)elvin presler Wrote:
(10-03-2009, 01:30 PM)ng__ Wrote: Play in English then Smile

Thanks, but this r1834 version seems to work as well as I think any will at this time...and I don't need 2 versions to run it that way. You may want to check it out yourself. I got it from a site named EMU.Crimsonrain. Don't know who they are, but they have many, many versions. Almost daily updates. Their newer versions seem to only run at 800x600 windowed oddly, but 1834 seems the best mix of speed, options vs stability for me. So far it has never crashed, locked up or had any slow down. Just a bit of texture problems that all except 0.9.6 have it seems. 0.9.6 is just too slow, not having VU Cycle Stealing, which seems to be the speed hack that makes all the difference. Huge speed up. Thanks again for that tip ng__.

As for the BIOS, I just ran it in 0.9.6, set it all up, then saved all the bios files, and a "memory card" with nothing but the system settings on it, then use that.

OK. But if your 1834 will crash when switching between locations (it will not be in the Shadowmire but either in Khossa Vole or Andrellian Isles) don't panic and just download r710 from the metioned Drakan page. I've uploaded the archive with exes and plugins just in case.
Thanks. I have not gotten that far yet, so may very well need it. I wouldn't mind trying out that r1736 just to test if it's better anyway.

By the way, have you tried the official r1888 beta? Is it newer or older than r1736? r1888 does have all or most of the speed tweaks you mentioned. I just had not found where they were before. The one that really helps is VU Cycle Stealing. To me that is the one that takes Drakan from too slow to playable at 100% speed. I actually have to limit frames now to keep it at the desired 50 FPS. I have not found any version that has that and does not have the graphics bug though.
(10-04-2009, 08:57 PM)elvin presler Wrote: Thanks. I have not gotten that far yet, so may very well need it. I wouldn't mind trying out that r1736 just to test if it's better anyway.

By the way, have you tried the official r1888 beta? Is it newer or older than r1736? r1888 does have all or most of the speed tweaks you mentioned. I just had not found where they were before. The one that really helps is VU Cycle Stealing. To me that is the one that takes Drakan from too slow to playable at 100% speed. I actually have to limit frames now to keep it at the desired 50 FPS. I have not found any version that has that and does not have the graphics bug though.

Sadly those GFX bugs are present in all playable versions. But they are mostly ignorable! r1888 must be the version with the new GUI. This is the version from the future as most of the features from the old GUI aren't implemented yet. Of course they will be present in the new GUI in time but for now you'd like to stick to the old GUI versions.

I myself will finish the game in 1736 whether it's better or worse than the others. It has to be finished in one version to be called playable after all Smile
The r1888 I have is the official public beta from here, old GUI. Works well, but with graphic glitches, not sure about crashing on level change, though I did get from the start area to the Islands area with no problem.

Now...here's the interesting part I just learned. So, the VU Cycle Stealing is what is giving this game a huge speed boost. So I went hunting for the oldest version I could find with VU Stealing to see if I could get one before the graphical glitches (like 0.9.6) but after the speed boost. I found one! From that same EMU.Crimsonrain place, I got version r985 (old GUI). r984 was their first to have VU Cycle Stealing. I have not tested much yet for level change crashing (got your 710 version just in case though) but so far it runs at 100% speed and no graphics glitches, and no freezing in certain spots like 0.9.6 does! So this one, so far, has neither of the 2 main hang ups and is fast like the newest betas. Woot!

(10-04-2009, 09:19 PM)ng__ Wrote: It has to be finished in one version to be called playable after all Smile

That is the main thing. I'm going to play and test this r985 version some more and see if I hit any snags. After more testing, if all is well, I'll add the info to your wiki page.

...and thanks again for all the info.
elvin presler:
As I said before, you can go up to revision 1384 and not get the graphic problem.
Every version after that (yes, that includes 1736 or 1888 Tongue2 ) will have the glitch.
Ah...I think I mis-read that as r1834, and of course, had the glitches.