Dual hearts settings?
I am trying to play Dual hearts at full speed. It seems to run pretty well with EE cyclerate and Vu cycle stealing all the way up. However, That is a pretty bad combo to be running and I want to know if there is a better way.

Sponsored links

So you're saying that only those maxed speedhacks get you a playable framerate?

We'll need your computer's hardware specifications in any case.
(10-21-2011, 02:53 PM)rama Wrote: So you're saying that only those maxed speedhacks get you a playable framerate?

We'll need your computer's hardware specifications in any case.

Intel core i3 4 cores at @ 3.20GHz
4 gigs of ram
and an intel HD on board graphics card. (It runs every other game I have at 60fps and higher so I don't think its my generic graphics card. xD)
Core i3 are not 4-core, but 2-core with Hyper-threading.

Intel's integrated graphics units are not what you'd call a graphics card.

As with PS2 emulation in general, results will vary by the game. Even if that IGP can handle some others, it will inevitably be the bottleneck with some games/scenes.

If Speedhacks are helping, it would usually be your CPU that need be faster, though. (That's with this game).

Also note that using cycle sliders (especially at max) can cause a false framerate readouts. Watch for that. Wink
(10-23-2011, 03:55 AM)Rezard Wrote: Core i3 are not 4-core, but 2-core with Hyper-threading.

Intel's integrated graphics units are not what you'd call a graphics card.

As with PS2 emulation in general, results will vary by the game. Even if that IGP can handle some others, it will inevitably be the bottleneck with some games/scenes.

If Speedhacks are helping, it would usually be your CPU that need be faster, though. (That's with this game).

Also note that using cycle sliders (especially at max) can cause a false framerate readouts. Watch for that. Wink
I find it odd though, as my cpu barely hits 40% usage. Is it really my CPU that is at fault?
PCSX2 has always been a 2-core operation (MYVU aside).
So 50% of it is the two logical cores sitting there doing nothing.

Is it really your CPU?
Well, let's check:

Does raising the internal res lower the FPS?
Or lowering it raise the FPS?
That would indicate your GPU is limiting that game/scene.

With the question of the GPU out of the way, and assuming it's not the limiting factor:

Does the game/scene run slow while the EE% is topping out?
Does the application of Speedhacks improve the FPS?
This would indicate your CPU is what's limiting you.

A computer's processor being too slow is a very common occurance with PCSX2. If it's not one or the other (CPU/GPU), it's most likely a compatibility issue with the emulator to be overcome by development, or just ridiculously overkill hardware (like the future holds in comparison to now).
(10-23-2011, 04:16 AM)Rezard Wrote: PCSX2 has always been a 2-core operation (MYVU aside).
So 50% of it is the two logical cores sitting there doing nothing.

Is it really your CPU?
Well, let's check:

Does raising the internal res lower the FPS?
Or lowering it raise the FPS?
That would indicate your GPU is limiting that game/scene.

With the question of the GPU out of the way, and assuming it's not the limiting factor:

Does the game/scene run slow while the EE% is topping out?
Does the application of Speedhacks improve the FPS?
This would indicate your CPU is what's limiting you.

A computer's processor being too slow is a very common occurance with PCSX2.

The resolution doesn't have too much of an effect. So I suppose that it must be my CPU. I had a similar problem with another game, but a few changes to the settings had it running perfectly. I doubt that I will get that lucky again.

Or maybe it could be a compatibility issue, but to find out i'll be waiting anyway. XD
Thank you for your time! I'll get a better computer eventually! ^^
If changing the res didn't effect the FPS at all, then it usually would be CPU to blame.

I just gotta say, from any general stand-point, that IGP most often will be your bottleneck.
Most anything integrated is slow for the emulator (many or most games), and an i3 @ 3.2Ghz is typically pretty good for most games.

Can you overclock your CPU by chance?
If you can, raising it some will certainly show if it was holding you back. Wink

Also, can you disable Hyper-threading?
It's not helping, and it may even be hindering (based on my experience).
(10-23-2011, 04:46 AM)Rezard Wrote: If changing the res didn't effect the FPS at all, then it usually would be CPU to blame.

I just gotta say, from any general stand-point, that IGP most often will be your bottleneck.
Most anything integrated is slow for the emulator (many or most games), and an i3 @ 3.2Ghz is typically pretty good for most games.

Can you overclock your CPU by chance?
If you can, raising it some will certainly show if it was holding you back. Wink

Also, can you disable Hyper-threading?
It's not helping, and it may even be hindering (based on my experience).

I'm not exactly sure how to disable hyper threading.

Would it help at all to tell you that the game flashes alot unless i use GSdX10 (software)? (And this only applies to this game)

I would overclock, but I don't have a good enough cooling system, and don't want to risk killing my CPU.

Also, in game, when I'm facing a wall the game runs pretty quickly.
Hyper-threading would be an option in your motherboard's BIOS. It would be an "On" or "Off" option. If you could tell me your motherboard's make and model, I may be able to direct you.

Flickering dark?
Try pausing, then resuming emulation (under the System menu).

Overclocking can be easy as pie, and safe as well.
The stock cooler would certainly be enough for a mild OC, and disabling HT will most likely reduce the running temps, too. Wink
Again; tell me your motherboard's make and model, and I could help you (with 100% safe advice).

When facing a wall, there is usually much less to process/render.