Dump PS2 DVD to ISO on Mac? [solved, see post #6]
(04-16-2011, 12:46 PM)mubbsy Wrote: you dont need to make an iso. it'll do that itself, but if you just copied and pasted what he put there it wont work.

1. Insert DVD, and in the terminal do:
2. diskutil unmountDisk disk1
3. dd if=/dev/disk1 of=/path/to/dumped_iso/Shadow_of_the_colossus.iso

the part in part 3 says /path/to/dumped_iso/ISONAME.iso is saying you have to pick where its going. most of the time /Users/*your computer username*/Desktop/my_iso.iso

then dont touch it for like 30 min or until terminal says youre good
tried this. its almost an hour and didnt receive any message

Sponsored links

well keep waiting cus you should get a message saying its done and it might take longer based on your disc drive, disc condition and what else your computer is doing while youre trying to copy a whole disc.
another way to check is to find where the file is being saved to and highlight it and it'll tell you its size. when the size stops increasing it should be done. a lot of ps2 discs are dual layer and will be about 8-9gig because they arent being compressed. a lot of versions of games have been cerated with blank space removed, and other useless crap taken out to reduce size, but if you're making a pure rip, be prepared for a large file size.
13" 2010 Mac Book Pro - Snow Leopard 10.6.7 - Pcsx2 Version: 0.9.6 (and praying on 0.9.7 to release)
2.4Ghz Intel Duo Core | NVIDIA 320M (256mb) | 4 Gigs 1067mhz DDR3 Ram

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I followed the instructions above but for some reason, the iso that is being made is gigantic. It takes up the rest of my startup disk space (62 GB). Is that normal?

Also, before I tried the code above, I made disk image with Toast Titanium and made and iso there. However, it won't work with PCSX2. Do you guys have any idea why?

Thanks
(09-09-2011, 01:22 PM)Krumm Wrote: Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I followed the instructions above but for some reason, the iso that is being made is gigantic. It takes up the rest of my startup disk space (62 GB). Is that normal?

Also, before I tried the code above, I made disk image with Toast Titanium and made and iso there. However, it won't work with PCSX2. Do you guys have any idea why?

Thanks

Thats not much information, what game are you trying to Dump, and what state is the disk in?
"Eventually you too will hear it, The Last Melody"
(09-09-2011, 02:23 PM)Kaze Wrote: Thats not much information, what game are you trying to Dump, and what state is the disk in?

So I'm clearly a newbie. The game is Superman: Shadow of Apokolips (I'm a geek) and it's barely got a scratch on it (if that is what you mean by state). I bought it used for PS2 but discovered my PS3 model isn't backwards compatible so I figured I'd try an emulator.
How much space did it take? shouldn't be bigger than 4GB
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
most direct dumps are 9gigish. 4.5gig x 2 (for dual layer) is 9. even if its empty space the direct dump is byte by byte so even empty data takes space.
13" 2010 Mac Book Pro - Snow Leopard 10.6.7 - Pcsx2 Version: 0.9.6 (and praying on 0.9.7 to release)

I have tried this Mac emulator.... I can't say any game really works on here. ISOs simply crash and the fact that the DVD player isn't available to play the game straight off of.... This, I guess, is the one time that PCs win over the Mac.... Then again... thank God for BootCamp. (Then again I hate having to boot over every time just to play a game and then boot back over when I want to get actual work done.
P.S. I don't know if this matters, but I'm running a 15inch MacBook Pro 2011 running OSX.7 Lion. Don't know if that makes a difference, but I'm sure it does since no PowerPC features work anymore.

Well, anyways, if I could figure out a solution to why nothing works that'd be great. It would be especially beneficial with the Multiple Desktop feature of Lion.

Offset 0xaa002cf2 invalid. Legit SIGSEGV. Aborting.
pcsx2.sh: line 2: 1652 Segmentation fault: 11 ./pcsx2

Perhaps this'll be a possible revision in the Mac version to actually recognize the Disc Drive...?

Also, has anyone tried adding an external Disc drive? Does that change anything? I'm thinking about getting one eventually anyways, because the PCSX2 running with a DVD disc just makes the system fairly warm. Hot I should say.

I love the Mac, but it does have limitations... particularly in the Gaming Department.
Here's the thing.

The mac version of pcsx2 was made by ONE person (zedr0n).
Every feature (such as running from disc drive) has to be coded by him unless you know your way around mac coding very well in which case you should be helping develop the emulator.

As for your game crashes, which games are you trying to run, and did you install the newest nvideo cg framework, and have the snow leopard version of pcsx2 installed? Also, the newest version of xquartz (formerly x11 - and if you have x11 an upgrade is HIGHLY recommended) helps a lot.

It still says no such file or directory. I'm goin' craaazy.