Poll: How should the EE cycle rate slider be handled ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Invert the slider
66.67%
14 66.67%
Follow the current slider format
33.33%
7 33.33%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

EE overclock slider
On second thought, I think maybe splitting is the best solution. Every solution has a drawback:
- A slider on the Speedhacks page: Why do some settings decrease the speed?
- A slider on another page: Why aren't settings that increase the speed on the Speedhacks page?
- Two sliders: Need to handle how a setting override the other. We can have a check box above each slider to disable/enable the option. Only one option can be enabled at a time. The Speedhacks (underclock) option will be enabled by default.

Splitting is the only solution that doesn't call the location of the settings into question.

(11-10-2015, 04:09 PM)Bositman Wrote: I agree with NOT inverting it. Everyone who has been using PCSX2 over the past time will get confused by it. N00bs will always think slider to the right -> moar speed, total noobs will always put all sliders to right. Yes I agree people should read about the options they mess with and then modify them, but years of experiences says most people are visual types and never read anything before jumping to 'maxing out' the options.

Moreover it's pretty hard to expect the average user to be able to realize what kind of effect overclocking or underclocking the emulated PS2 processor would have on his game...so they just know that right side = more speed (usually)

Now that I think about it, this makes sense. The problem is the overclock part doesn't increase the speed, but you can also look at it as an Inverse Speedhacks option as negative values are used for the settings.

Sponsored links

Welp this is a clusterf*ck of opinions XD

Edit: The censor doesn't catch clusterf*ck, I had to do that manually...
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
overclock is still a speedhack though, in cases where real hardware is a bottleneck. And regardless of how splitting would be done, having two settings on separate pages that depend on one of them being disabled would be terrible for ux
Quote:Admins and devs count at least double.

Ref gets 4 points then since he's an admin and also a dev. Tongue2

(11-10-2015, 07:50 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: Now that I think about it, this makes sense. The problem is the overclock part doesn't increase the speed, but you can also look at it as an Inverse Speedhacks option as negative values are used for the settings.

Speedhacks are meant to impact the speed factor , not necessarily increase them Tongue2

Quote: Two sliders: Need to handle how a setting override the other. We can have a check box above each slider to disable/enable the option. Only one option can be enabled at a time. The Speedhacks (underclock) option will be enabled by default.

splitting the sliders doesn't really seem to be the ideal solution in my opinion, maybe I'm the only one who thinks so ?
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(11-11-2015, 05:30 AM)ssakash Wrote: Speedhacks are meant to impact the speed factor , not necessarily increase them Tongue2

splitting the sliders doesn't really seem to be the ideal solution in my opinion, maybe I'm the only one who thinks so ?

1. I agree. As I said "speedhacks" not "speeduphacks"

2. Nope, I agree as I've said. It seems split pretty evenly in my observation.

One option if we are concerned is to do a thing that was originally suggested for the overclock stuff - throw an informational popup window the very first time(and only the very first time) the user touches the clock control slider. If we wanna get evil we could even run it with a timer to avoid them clicking it away Evil

Anyway that might be a meet in the middle option.

Oh also, I started this whole thing so I get 99 vote points. And ssakash rewrote it so he does too.

Get rekt.

XD
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-11-2015, 05:30 AM)ssakash Wrote: Speedhacks are meant to impact the speed factor , not necessarily increase them Tongue2

I'm not sure about the definition, but I believe most users who open the Speedhacks page want to increase the speed of emulation, not decrease it.

(11-11-2015, 05:30 AM)ssakash Wrote: splitting the sliders doesn't really seem to be the ideal solution in my opinion, maybe I'm the only one who thinks so ?

I didn't say that it's an ideal solution. Maybe you mean you don't think that it's the best solution. That's normal. Different people have different opinions.
(11-11-2015, 07:31 PM)xemnas99 Wrote: I'm not sure about the definition, but I believe most users who open the Speedhacks page want to increase the speed of emulation, not decrease it.

Perhaps that is their intention, yes. But even excluding the overclock, almost all the other major hacks can slow things down too. EE underclock, vu stealing, and MTVU all can in the right situations.
Ref had a very nice idea. At least I think it is nice. Call it as you like and align it as you like but the two limits are not -2 and 2 or -50% or 50% but 'faster' and 'smoother'.

So maybe something like:
Code:
                  EE clock rate
        ≪-----------------------------≫
Faster             Accurate             Smoother

What do you think?
I honestly think it's pretty bad as I had to stop and think which side was which -.-

And I'm not a noob.

Both faster and smoother sound like they would reduce stuttering/lag etc. So to me both sound like they are gonna make it faster.

That's my opinion anyway but that's just me.
(11-11-2015, 08:27 PM)Blyss Sarania Wrote: I'm a noob.

-.-''

Code:
                   EE clock rate
        ≪-----------------------------≫
Faster             Accurate             Smoother
EE underclock                       EE overclock