Emulating the PS2 frimware?
I've been keeping up on the progress of RPCS3 for a while now ( It is the PS3 "equivalent" of PCSX2 for those who don't know).

And I have noticed something in particular that sparked my interest.

In their "Long term goals" they plan to "Implement every system module in the emulator. This will allow the emulator to work without the PS3 firmware."

I wonder if there is any particular reason this hasn't been done in PCSX2 yet, I'm pretty sure it have been mentioned a lot in the past (and I pretty much forgot  Tongue  ) but i'm curious if anything changed regarding this since apparently it is somehow legal to do such a thing.

Sponsored links

(03-19-2018, 01:01 AM)Serial Hacker Wrote: In their "Long term goals" they plan to "Implement every system module in the emulator. This will allow the emulator to work without the PS3 firmware."

I wonder if there is any particular reason this hasn't been done in PCSX2 yet, I'm pretty sure it have been mentioned a lot in the past (and I pretty much forgot  Tongue  ) but i'm curious if anything changed regarding this since apparently it is somehow legal to do such a thing.
If I had to guess, that should mean that they'd like to replace the code currently provided by sony's OFW with their own [open source] one.
Which is really not required at all, even for perfect emulation - but hey, guess like that makes you own the platform more.

The closest PS2 relative would be the BIOS, if any.
Which would make much more sense to open, given it's not that freely redistributable in the first place.
But nobody's currently interested into continuing fps2bios.
RPCS3 has implemented HLE, something which I think I recall the PCSX2 devs saying they won't be implementing anytime soon.
Intel i5 4460 @ 3.20 GHz,
GTX 1050 Ti,
8GB RAM,
And some other gubbins that make things work.
Yeah the BIOS is basically the firmware for the PS2 and PS1. There are some Emulators that create their own BIOS while others use the offical bios from the console you own. and yes its possible t HLE the BIOS which is what epsxe has started doing no idea how well it works these days tho.