Emulator ignoring settings I apply?
Hey gang,

I was changing the settings on version 1.2.1 and when I restarted the emulator I noticed that the Texture Filtering options was being ignored by the game. I turned off all the options and then turned all of them on and saw no graphical changes (Shade boost, Filtering, HW Hacks, etc.). The only thing I see does change is resolution/scaling.

Thinking of solutions, I uninstalled the emulator and temp files and after re-installing I see I am still having the same issue. It's frustrating as I legitimately don't know what else to do. I've also changed between Direct3D9 and 11 and have gotten the same result.

Is this an uncommon issue?

Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsored links

shade boost and those other options should take effect, please provide your GSdx.ini file.

on the mean time, please try the latest development version from here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(08-02-2015, 03:04 PM)ssakash Wrote: shade boost and those other options should take effect, please provide your GSdx.ini file.

on the mean time, please try the latest development version from here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/index.php

Here's the file and an image showing the lack of graphical changes. In my previous attempt the character would become noticeably sharper, but now the text is the only thing changing despite the fact that I've turned every option on. I've also tried with another game.

Quote:[Settings]
Adapter=10DE:1200:15683842:A1
Renderer=3
Interlace=7
AspectRatio=0
upscale_multiplier=1
filter=1
paltex=1
logz=0
fba=0
aa1=1
nativeres=0
resx=1024
resy=768
extrathreads=0
AnisotropicFiltering=1
ShadeBoost=1
Fxaa=1
shaderfx=1
UserHacks=1
UserHacks_MSAA=0
UserHacks_AlphaHack=1
UserHacks_HalfPixelOffset=1
UserHacks_SpriteHack=1
UserHacks_SkipDraw=0
UserHacks_WildHack=1
UserHacks_AggressiveCRC=1
UserHacks_AlphaStencil=1
UserHacks_NVIDIAHack=1
UserHacks_DisableCrcHacks=0
UserHacks_TCOffset=0
ShadeBoost_Contrast=50
ShadeBoost_Brightness=50
ShadeBoost_Saturation=56
MaxAnisotropy=1

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Texture Filtering is definitely taking effect there in those screenshots.

What happens when you set it to full? (Can you show a screenshot with that option as well?)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
also, Anistropic Filtering 1X is same as disabled. I should remove that option to prevent confusion. I could notice the difference between those two screenshots.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(08-02-2015, 03:19 PM)Ryudo Wrote: Texture Filtering is definitely taking effect there in those screenshots.

What happens when you set it to full? (Can you show a screenshot with that option as well?)

Could you clarify when you say "full" in regards to texture filtering? Can't say I've been working with PCSX2 for long.

Attached is a screenshot of the developmental link and the following settings. It seems to be blurrier than the stable build?

(08-02-2015, 03:25 PM)EpicJC Wrote: Could you clarify when you say "full" in regards to texture filtering? Can't say I've been working with PCSX2 for long.

that's a three state checkbox, you forgot about one state ( the checked one) which enables filtering on all textures whereas half state only does it where the actual game does it like the GS.
- Refraction
(08-02-2015, 03:29 PM)ssakash Wrote: that's a three state checkbox, you forgot about one state ( the checked one) which enables filtering on all textures whereas half state only does it where the actual game does it like the GS.

Oh, well I feel rather dumb. Okay I definitely see the changes now (as seen in this screenshot). Primary issue solved! Multiple tutorials stated to use the box icon instead of check in Texture Filtering, hence my confusion.

Thank you!

PS: Unrelated to the topic but since you've been so helpful: Which of these graphical options has the most impact on performance? I'm interested in streaming PS2 games that I own (such as this one) and that definitely may lower FPS.

(08-02-2015, 03:37 PM)EpicJC Wrote: PS: Unrelated to the topic but since you've been so helpful: Which of these graphical options has the most impact on performance? I'm interested in streaming PS2 games that I own (such as this one) and that definitely may lower FPS.

That would definitely be the upscaling and MSAA.
Generally, AF should be more demanding than FXAA, since the sample count required for AF makes it quite intensive on the GPU bandwidth side. FXAA shouldn't be much demanding , the only other demanding settings are the higher modes in Blending unit accuracy if you're using Opengl (hardware mode).

PS: also the other demanding things are the upscalng feature and MSAA as pointed out by coornio. though remember, MSAA could cause issues on some games and Opengl doesn't support it yet.
- Refraction