Enabling Progressive scan?
I have a question for the devs (or anyone who can answer)

I'm going to use Star Ocean Til the End of Time as an example, to enable progressive you hold down triangle and X on boot (i assume foot boot is required for that) would it be possible to force that to be on or make the game think we held down those buttons via emulation? I'd work on just making a pnach for it but i've no idea where i'd start..

But it's not just this game, i am thinking about any games that have native progressive. Kinda like how Dolphin has an option for it in the menu, Maybe PCSX2 could do it? Of course only for supported games.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64

Sponsored links

IDK if an option for that is even needed or not. Why not just hold down the buttons? It works, I just tried with star ocean til the end of time:

[Image: prog_zps49398c5b.png]
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Also, Asmodean said here

Asmodean Wrote:Imo, it would make more sense to try implement a progressive hack, rather than another deinterlace filter. Which wouldn't work for all games of course, but it's better than nothing. As of right now, I can enable the progressive flag for most games I've tried, in memory with pnaches.

And the thread goes on from there. You were active in that topic, is this what you were talking about? Maybe I misunderstood your OP.
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I was actually the last person to post in that thread haha.

Having issues with the hacks though. They say progressive but they are clearly still interlaced.

And I just used SOTET as an example, soul calibur 3 doesn't have an option for it. So you have to hold the buttons. No big deal but I have reasons for wanting it without holding down the buttons.
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(11-12-2013, 07:44 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: I was actually the last person to post in that thread haha.

Having issues with the hacks though. They say progressive but they are clearly still interlaced.

And I just used SOTET as an example, soul calibur 3 doesn't have an option for it. So you have to hold the buttons. No big deal but I have reasons for wanting it without holding down the buttons.

I actually got that screenshot above by holding the buttons. I did full boot, held triangle and cross, and that comes up.
Just curious...aren't the scaling modes,MSAA,TF and so on enough?
Why do people ask for more,can the games actually look even better than 6x resolution,MSAA 4x and texture filtering.

At least here,almost any game I try look real good even at native or 2x let alone with all those enhancements.
You can use shaders too,to enhance the quality even more,so why
(11-12-2013, 08:03 PM)vsub Wrote: Just curious...aren't the scaling modes,MSAA,TF and so on enough?
Why do people ask for more,can the games actually look even better than 6x resolution,MSAA 4x and texture filtering.

At least here,almost any game I try look real good even at native or 2x let alone with all those enhancements.
You can use shaders too,to enhance the quality even more,so why

Do you understand what interlacing is? It doesn't matter how many enhancements there are if you're bothered by tiny scanlines moving all over the place.
vsub, It was more of a convenience, Also i am fairly certain that you have to use fastboot for cheats to work (was that way years ago, Don't know about now) cheats that include widescreen patches. Hence my issue (not that SOTET needs one, but again, it's an example) i'll check that once i am home.

More so i am not asking them to make all games progressive, Just a way to force them as progressive IF the game natively supports it.

I have made a multitude of fake progressive patches, but i am 90% certain it is just a progressive flag thats activated, not true progressive scanning as any game i use it on that requires deinterlacing still shakes/whatever that game does when it needs deinterlacing.

It isn't so much an enhancement as a fix for games that otherwise need deinterlacing.

And from a quality stand point. Skyrim looks amazing but i still have so many texture mods it uses 3.4GB of VRAM, why is it like that? Because i can make it that way Tongue If something can be enhanced, Why not enhance it? Thats my motto.
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
(11-12-2013, 08:40 PM)hellbringer616 Wrote: vsub, It was more of a convenience, Also i am fairly certain that you have to use fastboot for cheats to work (was that way years ago, Don't know about now) cheats that include widescreen patches. Hence my issue (not that SOTET needs one, but again, it's an example) i'll check that once i am home.

Widescreen patch for Xenosaga Episode 1 works if I Boot Full.
(11-12-2013, 08:08 PM)metalmallow Wrote: Do you understand what interlacing is? It doesn't matter how many enhancements there are if you're bothered by tiny scanlines moving all over the place.

Honestly, my eyes are bad enough I can't see them. But, if a person could, I can see why it would be annoying.

I could see the scanlines on the PSP3000 and it bothered me. Obviously they weren't from interlacing, but it's the same annoyance.