Entire System Freezing
(04-12-2017, 06:59 PM)CK1 Wrote: AVX2 only gives a speedboost SW renderer. What exactly did you try to change? This is most likely a configuration issue with the user's hardware.

I've just been playing Gran Turismo 4 on 5x native. My computer runs it fine, but I only set it to 5x native to try and reproduce this problem, and I did. 

I came into the pits, and my computer almost froze. After 10 seconds of stuttering and jerkiness, Windows gave me an error message saying I'm low on RAM. It only freezes when it's loading a new scene. For example, on the race menu to the actual race. Or whilst racing and then it loads the pit animations. So yes, there is definitely a lack of RAM whilst on 5x native.

The micro stuttering whilst racing seems to have disappeared after enabling v-sync in the GS window setup. I still have it on other games though...

Sponsored links

(04-12-2017, 06:59 PM)CK1 Wrote: AVX2 only gives a speedboost SW renderer. What exactly did you try to change? This is most likely a configuration issue with the user's hardware.

This is what I changed. Tho I don't like some of the results , more info in the commit Smile

First I thought it will maybe help the OP , but I guess what I'm talking about is a bit different than the op's issue so nvm.
(04-12-2017, 09:10 PM)lightningterror Wrote: This is what I changed. Tho I don't like some of the results , more info in the commit Smile

First I thought it will maybe help the OP , but I guess what I'm talking about is a bit different than the op's issue so nvm.

I will have to check this out.

I've definitely figured out why the system freezes, it's due to a lack of RAM in certain areas, on certain resolutions. The PCSX2 console states this as well ('GSDX out of memory' or something). It did the exact same thing on Beam.NG earlier.

As for the micro stutters, they have pretty much gone now on PCSX2. On Assetto Corsa, I seem to have fixed it by changing the GeForce v-sync from Adaptive to Fast, so maybe it'll work on other games too. The only problem is that I have a 60Hz monitor and Assetto Corsa now plays at over 100 FPS, so gameplay doesn't look as smooth now. However, I don't know if this has truly fixed things. Maybe new GeForce drivers will sort this. I will definitely have to buy more RAM by the looks of things though.

Cheers!
RAM or VRAM is the same. It depends of the driver magic.

Technically a 32 bits process is limited to 4GB of RAM. However the driver (Nvidia) can cheat and put some texture in a separate process cache. So you can use more VRAM/RAM than the 4GB limit but it can kill your PC.

As I said previously, you don't have enough memory to handle this game at 5x, at least not with the current way that it is emulated. Even with more memory, it will hit eventually the 4GB limit. And honestly I'm not sure there is any real quality difference between 3x and 5x.
(04-13-2017, 12:05 PM)gregory Wrote: RAM or VRAM is the same. It depends of the driver magic.

Technically a 32 bits process is limited to 4GB of RAM. However the driver (Nvidia) can cheat and put some texture in a separate process cache. So you can use more VRAM/RAM than the 4GB limit but it can kill your PC.

As I said previously, you don't have enough memory to handle this game at 5x, at least not with the current way that it is emulated. Even with more memory, it will hit eventually the 4GB limit. And honestly I'm not sure there is any real quality difference between 3x and 5x.

I only used 5x native to try and reproduce my original problem.

I usually play on 3x or sometimes 4x. There's not a real quality difference, I just change the resolution to reduce blurriness.
(04-14-2017, 12:47 AM)Rally-boy123 Wrote: I only used 5x native to try and reproduce my original problem.

I usually play on 3x or sometimes 4x. There's not a real quality difference, I just change the resolution to reduce blurriness.

Just a little heads up, GT4 uses progressive scan so you'd better be using that. It kills all the stutering and the game runs better overall. I use 3X native and it looks great. Another thing, for the devs now: For whateveer reason the buffer size when the game gets past the "Sony Computer Entertainment Presents", in game, gets to a enormous size(since I'm using 3x, it goes to 3072x3072) and it only resets when you open the gs plugin config and press ok. Same happens with Tourist Trophy, since same engine.

I had this same problem of my system freezing up because of that. Switching to progressive scan seemed to remedy the issue, but the buffer is still with that absurd resolution, obviously it's going to freeze up.
Quote: I had this same problem of my system freezing up because of that. Switching to progressive scan seemed to remedy the issue, but the buffer is still with that absurd resolution, obviously it's going to freeze up.
It isn't absurd. The framebuffer size of the PS2 is 2048x2048 (without upscaling). However unlike "modern GPU" you can overlap multiple framebuffers so they can still fit in the 4MB memory. Modern GPU will instead allocate multiple framebuffer and consume GB of VRAM.