Erratic frame-drop intervals
Hm. Well it can't be the type of HDD since I use Toshiba and Samsung. But they are rather fragmented (over 60%) since I rarely defrag those drives, haha. I'll report once defrag them.

About the power settings. I have it set to high since I don't use it on a laptop. There is an advanced option and it's set to 20 minutes regarding the HDD option. Would setting it to something around a normal playthrough be fine (say 80 minutes)? Thanks for the help by the way!

Sponsored links

Yeah that should be fine at 80 minutes, hopefully the defrag will help a bit too Tongue I recommend using Defraggler, windows defrag sucks monkey butts Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Not much improvement. However I did lessen the problem to the point where it only happens when more enemies are present, during load screens (including opening the map), and during wait mode for some reason.

Using a newer 1.5 version (2016 100 418 3048)
Speedhacks: Set EE to -2, VU to 2, every other speedhack ticked.
GS: Un-ticked Disable Framelimiting (100, 50, 100) and set the native FPS to 120 (probably seemed to help the most)
GPU: D3D11, Interlaced to None, Large Framebuffer
4x native, bilinear ps2, 2x filtering (might increase it to max or disable it since it's no MSAA), CRC Hack - Aggressive

HDD has been defragged with defraggler (would never use windows' defrag tool, heh).

Something must've changed recently because I somewhat have meddled with these settings before, the only new change is the emulator SVN and un-ticking the framelimit as well as setting the native to 120.
Haha, yes. I'm still trying to fix this so I can play as smooth as possible. But I've noticed a few things worth mentioning.

1.) The little stutters happen when I visit a new enemy or a cut-scene, but if I use a save-state, then re-load after the cut-scene or fighting the enemy, the stutter no longer happens. Does this have to do with virtual memory within the game or emulator's cache?

2.) I was recording the footage and I noticed that the stutter happens for 20 frames (of 60). So I suppose 1/3rd of a second and erratic intervals. THe stutter begins at 0 frames, and is frozen for 17 frames. It then resumes normally for the last 3 frames.
The audio on the other hand plays normally for 7 frames, then mutes for another 13 frames, and then is synced again with the whole game. Could this problem be part of a latency issue?

I also came across a day where I ran into no stutter whatsoever. I cannot replicate the environment and I regret rebooting my PC, haha.
Alright. One last update before I give up on this. I noticed that the problem could revolve around the EE option. When a dip occurs, the framebuffer lowers along with the EE. Increasing it and lowering it (EE) in speedhacks does little to nothing. Changing its options from Chop/Zero, Positive, Nearest and its clamping mode may have done something (not sure if the dip lasted much shorter than usual. It's no more than 20 frames). Changing it to Negative causes the game to freeze. Biggest noticeable change is having the EE IOP set to Interpreter with a Round Mode of Chop/Zero at Full clamping mode. After about 10 minutes, the problem comes back.

This problem does persist in software mode now with speedhacks off (and on).

I've monitored my GPU, given it a stronger more power consumption to 115% (I cannot go higher than that without long term risk). I've also left the fan speed at its max power so that the GPU stays cool under 40c. Overclocked the GPU just a little (an extra 150mhz leaving the gpu clock at 1605).

I've also applied a 4gb patch as a long shot attempt (nothing Tongue).

In the nVidia CP, I've played around with the Vsync settings in tandem with the emulator's Vsync. This also goes along with triple buffering. The only result was the screen tearing. No real huge upgrade or downgrade. Just a nuisance.

I have to say though. Trying to figure this out has been the most fun I've had in a while for emulation set-ups. It takes me back to when I started emulating. Haha. By the by, I am recording my gameplay so if that'll help somehow pinpoint the problem, i'll post something.
As i've said before, if your EE % drops and none of the others are hitting 98+%, it is something outside of the emulator causing the emulator to slow down.

In an ideal world, the emulator will be running at full speed with a low EE% or it will be trying it's hardest to hit full speed and the EE, GS or VU will be pegged at 98-100%, depending on which one is working the hardest. IF you aren't pulling full speed and none of those values are up past 98%, something else is taking the time up instead of the emulator.

Hmm are you using the Vsync option in the GS tab of the emulator settings? Try turning that off, I have known it to cause issues in the past, it's better just to use the frame limiter if you can. It would be really great if you could post screenshots of all your settings. You can easily get pictures of the main emulator settings by clicking the camera in the bottom left corner of each tab, you will need to do SPU2-X and GSDX manually though.

(10-15-2016, 02:35 AM)refraction Wrote: As i've said before, if your EE % drops and none of the others are hitting 98+%, it is something outside of the emulator causing the emulator to slow down.

In an ideal world, the emulator will be running at full speed with a low EE% or it will be trying it's hardest to hit full speed and the EE, GS or VU will be pegged at 98-100%, depending on which one is working the hardest. IF you aren't pulling full speed and none of those values are up past 98%, something else is taking the time up instead of the emulator.

Hmm are you using the Vsync option in the GS tab of the emulator settings? Try turning that off, I have known it to cause issues in the past, it's better just to use the frame limiter if you can.  It would be really great if you could post screenshots of all your settings.  You can easily get pictures of the main emulator settings by clicking the camera in the bottom left corner of each tab, you will need to do SPU2-X and GSDX manually though.

EE never goes past 60% (at peak). It usually lingers around 42% for the most part. As for the screenshots, I'll post my most recent success.

Also re-posting my specs for reference:

Win 7 64-bit

16gb Ram
i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (39c on load)
Nvidia GTX 1060 (52c)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Yeah try dropping the internal resolution in gsdx down to native x3 and set the wait for vertical sync in the gs window screen to unticked just to see how that goes

(10-15-2016, 03:21 AM)refraction Wrote: Yeah try dropping the internal resolution in gsdx down to native x3  and set the wait for vertical sync in the gs window screen to unticked just to see how that goes

Unfortunately to report that the same thing is still happening. Also did a reboot with only the DS4 Windows software on.