Even with a new rig, I'm still unable to play Shadow of Colossus smoothly! :-(
(02-10-2012, 04:43 AM)DrHycodan Wrote: well I know it runs full speed with the VU hack, but whats the point if your depending on a hack to run a game properly?

Just putting the slider to 1 won't cause a slowdown or hurt the game (higher values will though) so I don't see the issue here, you should be happy this is all that's needed to get it going fullspeed since a lot of people aren't as lucky and have to use higher values.

the only way pcsx2 can run the game properly is a faster cpu (5~ GHz), even then they will most likely have to use the MTVU hack .

btw this game is actually weak compared to some games (like killzone or primal they can bring any cpu to its knees.) Smile

Sponsored links

And yea, we know how ridiculous that sounds. Imagine now that without the heavy optimizations and tricks,
PCSX2 wouldn't be able to play this half as fast as it does.
The reality of PS2 emulation is that it's >slow<.
(02-10-2012, 01:59 AM)DrHycodan Wrote: Uh that's bull. I'm on a core i7 3930k at 4.5ghz and it still doesnt run smooth w/o speedhacks.

Ouch, even @4.5GHz! (o_O)
Damn this game Angry

(02-10-2012, 02:15 AM)hyakki Wrote: set VU cycle stealing to 1 and mtvu speed hack that should be good enough for 60fps and still run smoothly, if you still get slow downs then lower the upscale res in gsdx (possible gs limitation)

Will try that, I will keep trying until i get 60FPS Smile

(02-10-2012, 07:27 AM)hyakki Wrote: btw this game is actually weak compared to some games (like killzone or primal they can bring any cpu to its knees.) Smile

Haven't tried those...
But thanks for the tip, I NEED a game that will push my CPU to the limit! Laugh

(02-10-2012, 08:14 AM)rama Wrote: And yea, we know how ridiculous that sounds. Imagine now that without the heavy optimizations and tricks,
PCSX2 wouldn't be able to play this half as fast as it does.
The reality of PS2 emulation is that it's >slow<.

I don't mean to say that Pcsx2 is the issue here or not optimized, not at all.
Infact, pcsx2 is an amazing piece of SW, and it IS optimized!
But its just this game that really annoys me! Angry
And the fact that my cpu is not pushed, not even the clock speed (via turbo boost), thats my issue..

Anyway, I will keep trying, thanks to all for the inputs! Smile
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja
turbo boost triggers on 1 core only when the others aren't used.
Since pcsx2 uses 2 cores, it won't happen...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(02-10-2012, 01:53 PM)jesalvein Wrote: turbo boost triggers on 1 core only when the others aren't used.
Since pcsx2 uses 2 cores, it won't happen...

I understand that,
The thing is, in some scenes, the clock speed goes upto to 3.1GHz
While fighting a colossus, the clock speed stays at 2.4GHz! (o_O)
Not sure if it tries to use more cores VS less clock speed...but it gets slower.
My rig: Malibal P150HM - Core i7-2760QM upto 3.5GHz - 8GB DDR3 @1600MHz - ATI 6990M 2GB GDDR5 - 500GB@7200RPMNinja
Some games just seem to frak out pscx2, They dont even have to be particularly gpu cpu intensive. Tekken5 runs Flawlessly on my Rig without speed hacks while tekken tag gives me major slow downs, so it really depends What pscx2 is emulating and not necessarily the performance hit on the real ps2.Also some games run faster on earlier builds, while others run better on later ones. Bottom line use the speed hack when necessary and dont think if you had a 10ghz cpu it would run 100% because for strange reasons it probably wont Smile
)
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(02-10-2012, 03:00 PM)ahmed_p800 Wrote: I understand that,
The thing is, in some scenes, the clock speed goes upto to 3.1GHz
While fighting a colossus, the clock speed stays at 2.4GHz! (o_O)
Not sure if it tries to use more cores VS less clock speed...but it gets slower.
Here is a tip if you don't want your CPU to downclock you can get a program called 'Real Temp' when the cpu is at the max clock go to settings -> and Uncheck EIST this will keep the cpu at that clock..(until you re-enable it)

another way is to set the min - max processor state in the system power profiles(Control panel - power options), I think its easier and quicker to use real temp though, it also has an option to disable turbo - plus you can keep an eye on the temps Tongue2

(02-10-2012, 03:06 PM)omnikam Wrote: Some games just seem to frak out pscx2, They dont even have to be particularly gpu cpu intensive. Tekken5 runs Flawlessly on my Rig without speed hacks while tekken tag gives me major slow downs, so it really depends What pscx2 is emulating and not necessarily the performance hit on the real ps2.Also some games run faster on earlier builds, while others run better on later ones. Bottom line use the speed hack when necessary and dont think if you had a 10ghz cpu it would run 100% because for strange reasons it probably wont Smile

Yeah, thats true, I see you have the i7 2670QM, did you notice the clock speed on your CPU while playing Pcsx2?

(02-10-2012, 03:51 PM)hyakki Wrote: Here is a tip if you don't want your CPU to downclock you can get a program called 'Real Temp' when the cpu is at the max clock go to settings -> and Uncheck EIST this will keep the cpu at that clock..(until you re-enable it)

another way is to set the min - max processor state in the system power profiles(Control panel - power options), I think its easier and quicker to use real temp though, it also has an option to disable turbo - plus you can keep an eye on the temps Tongue2

Now THATS what im talking about...THANKS ALOT MAN!!! Laugh

In SOC, outside the temple, the CPU used to run @2.4GHz...
By disabling the EIST, Now its running @3 - 3.3GHz!!!! Laugh
The game is much smoother!

+REP

By the way, any side effects on the CPU when doing that?

Your cpu won't be able to downclock itself when idle. But EIST never slowed me down in the first place.
(02-10-2012, 06:03 PM)DrHycodan Wrote: Your cpu won't be able to downclock itself when idle. But EIST never slowed me down in the first place.

hmmm, with me I noticed the clock speed jumped to 3.1GHz when disabled, but not always.

I wish SandyBridge cpus were unlocked, wouldve made life easier.