Exiting gracefully out of PCSX2
First...I've been using PCSX2 for ...I don't know 2 years + now? I love it. It's not always graceful but it gives me a chance to emulate the best video game system ever (Trolls be nice to me...)

Anyways...so exiting out of PCSX2 has never been fun. The ESC button which I've read about sporadically in this forum closes the game and whatnot but I have to actually kill the PCSX2 process in Task Manager to close it down fully. I use GameBrowser in Media Browser (in Windows Media Center to launch my games from and it's pretty sweet. For most Emulations I just hit the Clear / ESC button on my remote and it closes the emulation and returns me to WMC. PCSX2 and Dolphin don't allow me to do this. It closes PCSX2 and just sits there. I have to go into Task Manager, kill the process, then it brings WMC back up for me.

Anyone have any tips or tricks I can use? I am currently using PCSX2 0.9.8 r4600.

Sponsored links

escape should just close the emulation window, you should shutdown PCSX2 from the GUI and that will end it.
(12-20-2011, 10:42 PM)bmsox622 Wrote: First...I've been using PCSX2 for ...I don't know 2 years + now? I love it. It's not always graceful but it gives me a chance to emulate the best video game system ever (Trolls be nice to me...)

Anyways...so exiting out of PCSX2 has never been fun. The ESC button which I've read about sporadically in this forum closes the game and whatnot but I have to actually kill the PCSX2 process in Task Manager to close it down fully. I use GameBrowser in Media Browser (in Windows Media Center to launch my games from and it's pretty sweet. For most Emulations I just hit the Clear / ESC button on my remote and it closes the emulation and returns me to WMC. PCSX2 and Dolphin don't allow me to do this. It closes PCSX2 and just sits there. I have to go into Task Manager, kill the process, then it brings WMC back up for me.

Anyone have any tips or tricks I can use? I am currently using PCSX2 0.9.8 r4600.

I've created a launcher for just such issues (I currently launch out of XBMC, but I'm sure the concept is the same). It's the thread titled CLI Launcher in the Tools/Applications thread. Check it out!

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-CLI-Launcher
(12-20-2011, 11:07 PM)Saiki Wrote: escape should just close the emulation window, you should shutdown PCSX2 from the GUI and that will end it.

Right...I totally get that and that will close the program outright but I'm trying to do this from my couch with a regular Logitech universal remote so I can return back to WMC. The ESC button does close the Emulation but I'm looking for a way (Macro? Anything) to close the program when I hit the ESC key either once or twice or something.

Thanks bzim for the launcher, I actually did look at that before and it is very awesome. The program inside WMC that I use currently does that already just can't close it fully.
Maybe try the "Exit emulator on window close" option in the Lilypad settings.
(12-20-2011, 11:13 PM)bmsox622 Wrote: Right...I totally get that and that will close the program outright but I'm trying to do this from my couch with a regular Logitech universal remote so I can return back to WMC. The ESC button does close the Emulation but I'm looking for a way (Macro? Anything) to close the program when I hit the ESC key either once or twice or something.

Thanks bzim for the launcher, I actually did look at that before and it is very awesome. The program inside WMC that I use currently does that already just can't close it fully.

Unfortunately, it's a current 'bug' in pcsx2 (if you launch with nogui it will strand the process). If you don't need the full CLI Launcher, you could probably write a simple autoit script (http://www.autoitscript.com/site/autoit/) to watch the process and close on escape.
Ahhh hah....

Rezard - I actually already have that set. It just closes the emulation window.

I think what bzim said is right...it's a bug. I'm going to check into this AutoIt thing...that might be very useful!! Thanks for the tip! If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all for it!!!

Thanks again guys seriously.
I think there must be a bug with that hack. I happened to still have an older GSdx plugin selected when I tried just now, and it kills the process entirely when I close the GS window. Unfortunately, this setup (GSdx 0.1.14 and PCSX2 0.9.8) has an issue with the Esc key closing the GS window.

Just checked the Lilypad thread:

"Close emulator on close" kills the emulator instead. I don't recommend this, as I'm not sure how well everything cleans up after itself when you do this.

I guess I should be surprised it worked at all for me.
Also please note that the MTVU speedhack is known to leave rogue pcsx2 processes, even on proper closing the app.
It's a known bug which we'll hopefully fix some day (soon) Tongue2
Can we quote that rama? lol