Extremely confusing drop in performance
Hi all, I've been playing all week and from one day to the next, suddenly PCSX2 is performing very poorly. I haven't changed any settings in between gaming sessions and I haven't changed any hardware configurations or installed any software. I tried restarting the computer but it still runs way worse than it did before.

Anyone else have this problem? I have absolutely no idea what could've caused this sudden drop in performance.

Sponsored links

Could it be that you have reached a particularly demanding point in a game? Perhaps large open fields or the such that would cause a performance hit as pcsx2 has to render everything.
(07-31-2009, 12:56 AM)nasageek Wrote: Could it be that you have reached a particularly demanding point in a game? Perhaps large open fields or the such that would cause a performance hit as pcsx2 has to render everything.

Unfortunately, the game slows down right when I start it up. I know the way certain parts of the intro/title screen are supposed to run, but now it runs considerably worse in those same parts.Wacko
Then perhaps it is a scheduled task you are unaware of. Check task manager and make sure pcsx2 isn't having any clock cycles stolen from it by some other program. There is also the slight possibility you have gotten a virus (even though you haven't installed anything).
(07-31-2009, 01:00 AM)nasageek Wrote: Then perhaps it is a scheduled task you are unaware of. Check task manager and make sure pcsx2 isn't having any clock cycles stolen from it by some other program. There is also the slight possibility you have gotten a virus (even though you haven't installed anything).

I've checked task manager and there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary there. I'm running a spyware/virus scan on the computer now to see if anything is up there. Thanks for the help so far.
what is your pc config???
Did you change your drivers...Do you have at least 15+GB of free space on system partition/pcsx2 partition?
Oh yes a defrag *could* be in order also (but doubtful you'd need one to be honest; fragmentation would not impact performance by that much)
Could also be a dust problem. Too much dust inside the computer could cause heat problems. That leads to the CPU slowing itself down to prevent overheating. So...yeah, it's something you should look into if all else fail.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
This happened to my mate once. Just random, it did eventually sort itsself out....
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHZ, 4GB PC8500 @ 1100MHZ, 4870x2 @ Stock.