FF XII having 30-40% slowdown on High-End computer.
Greetings. Despite being a skilled computer tech, I am unable to find a viable solutiom to my particular problem.

Running Final Fantasy XII on my computer, it runs perfectly at a solid 100%, except when opening the menu, especially the Equip menu. It will bog down to 60-70%.

The weird thing is my setup.

Intel i5-2450
6GB DDR5 RAM
Intel HD3000 On-Board Graphics
Windows 10 Pro
PSCX2 1.4.0

WAY more than sufficient to run the game.

Looking at the Performance screen, I am only utilizing 31% of my processor, clocking an impressive 2.85+GHz, and never exceeding 40% RAM consumption.

I have tried a very large number of setting changes, and have been unable to solve the menu lag. Anyone who knows PSCX2 well have any ideas?

Before anyone asks, Yes, I am running the BIOS of of my GEN2 PS2, and the ISO off of my FFXII Disc, loaded onto my Laptop.

Sponsored links

Sorry but thats far from highend seeing as how its a sandy bridge based system without a dedicated GPU. Drop the resolution down to native if you running hardware mode. For software mode try changing the extra rendering threads to 2-3.

Edit nevermind you have a laptop with only a dualcore i5. But yeah its your problem seeing as how it only has 1400 stp comapred to the recomended 1600-1800 STP and some games even require 2k+ STP. So yeah my comment about that NOT being highend still stands. I have a similar laptop with a 2520m and a dedicated nvidia nvs 4200m and PCSX2 is pretty unusable on it.
(01-13-2017, 03:30 AM)Topken Wrote: Sorry but thats far from highend seeing as how its a sandy bridge based system without a dedicated GPU. Drop the resolution down to native if you running hardware mode. For software mode try changing the extra rendering threads to 2-3.

Edit nevermind you have a laptop with only a dualcore i5. But yeah its your problem seeing as how it only has 1400 stp comapred to the recomended 1600-1800 STP and some games even require 2k+ STP. So yeah my comment about that NOT being highend still stands. I have a similar laptop with a 2520m and a dedicated nvidia nvs 4200m and PCSX2 is pretty unusable on it.

How can we determine the STP for a certain game?
(01-13-2017, 04:02 AM)phillypls Wrote: How can we determine the STP for a certain game?

STP is just the single threaded perf for a CPU. We tend to go off of the numbers reported by performance mark 8 since they seem to coincide with PCSX2 fairly well, though it can get a bit more complicated with 3 or more cores involved since some games take advantage of MTVU more than others.

http://cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(01-13-2017, 04:10 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: STP is just the single threaded perf for a CPU. We tend to go off of the numbers reported by performance mark 8 since they seem to coincide with PCSX2 fairly well, though it can get a bit more complicated with 3 or more cores involved since some games take advantage of MTVU more than others.

http://cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Thanks! How do we get those performance mark numbers?
(01-13-2017, 03:30 AM)Topken Wrote: Sorry but thats far from highend seeing as how its a sandy bridge based system without a dedicated GPU. Drop the resolution down to native if you running hardware mode. For software mode try changing the extra rendering threads to 2-3.

Thats all well and good except my laptop runs skyrim with HD upgrades at ULTRA settings without lag, so its not lacking processing power. And the GPU is dedicated. Just not aftermarket. There is more to a computer than just the processor. A good processor is worthless without good supporting hardware, and a weak processor can be a powerhouse with good support hardware like this particular model. I'm not here to argue my laptop. I'm trying to fix a specific problem.

Second, the game is able to run without any lag whatsoever except for the one single static menu. I actually have to keep framerate limiting on because it spikes to 180-200fps and 220% or so and hyper-accelerates the game. If I disable framerate limiting, the Equip menu works correctly, but it spikes the main game speed.

Resolution is set to native. I have tried Direct3D11 and Direct3D9, both hardware and software. I also tried frameskipping. It fixed the menu lag, but causes the screen to hang up even though the game runs like normal judging from the sound.
Quote:Thats all well and good except my laptop runs skyrim with HD upgrades at ULTRA settings without lag

Emulation != native x x86-64 applications. Second, no one here cares what 7 year old game you can run even with some high res texture mods. It means nothing, and it's not even impressive considering a large number of us can do far far better than that.

Quote:There is more to a computer than just the processor.

Yes, there's a CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, Southbridge, ect.

Quote: A good processor is worthless without good supporting hardware, and a weak processor can be a powerhouse with good support hardware like this particular model.

Yes, but you have neither.

Quote:I'm not here to argue my laptop. I'm trying to fix a specific problem.

Then why are you not listening to people with years of experience with PCSX2?

Quote:Second, the game is able to run without any lag whatsoever except for the one single static menu.

The menus aren't static and are overlaid on top of the game with some blurring to make it look pretty.

Quote: I actually have to keep framerate limiting on because it spikes to 180-200fps and 220% or so and hyper-accelerates the game. If I disable framerate limiting, the Equip menu works correctly, but it spikes the main game speed.

Maybe show screenshots of your speedhacks tab then? They are called hacks for a reason.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Allright. My desktop is having the identical problem.

i7-7700K @4.20GHz
16GB DDR5 RAM
NVidia GTX 950ti
Windows 10 Pro
PSCX2 1.4.0

I guarantee you, it is NOT a hardware problem.
(01-13-2017, 04:55 AM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Emulation != native x x86-64 applications. Second, no one here cares what 7 year old game you can run even with some high res texture mods. It means nothing, and it's not even impressive considering a large number of us can do far far better than that.

Final Fantasy XII is a 10-13 year old game, on an inferior (yet wonderful) game system. Your argument is invalid.

Also, according to the terms of service, bashing my posts without contributing is a violation, so if you're going to be a Jerk and not help, just shut up and keep it to yourself.
Shaide Nobbs is right.. You have to remember something. Pcsx2 is emulating the entire ps2 console in its entirety. You honestly know nothing about this program and how it runs, You have no right to tell him off. And imho Your laptop system is a PoS. Your PC is better but I chalk this one up to out of date drivers as well as user problems... But in the mean time try turning off "allow 8 bit textures" in gdsx, or increasing the skipdraw hack under hw hacks in gdsx. Unfortunately as I'm going to tell and and as the forum has said, Your computer is quite weak for pcsx2. Never compare a pc game to emulation cause that argument is invalid.

In any case. I don't really care if my advice for the emulation helps or not, You are an ***** and should be treated like one. Grow up and learn computer technology before you call a laptop a high end system.

Also considering Nobbs is on the bug squad, He knows A lot more about this program then even i do. And i have been using this program since 2011 or 2012.

Considering I can play this game just fine, the problem isnt the hardware or the program.
[Image: xckarn-5.png]