FF XII running fast and slow
Since a while I'm trying to get Final Fantasy 12 running on my PC, but it doesn't want to run on normal speed. I know, you must have heard this question before, but before you're going to kick me off the board, I would like some tips about the configuration. I checked your manuals, but I can't find any game specific configuration tips.

As far as I found out, it's best running on the ZeroGS plugin (fourth standard option). Some movies are playing on normal speed (I was amazed when I saw 49 fps continiously), but the game itself and other movies vary between 7 and 18 fps. I'm playing the PAL version, so as long as it stays above 35 I'm more then happy.

According to my system settings, it has to be possible to run it on that speed. Now my question is, how?

While playing, I continiously receive the message 'ZeroGS: Invalid unpack type'. At the beginning, this was 'ZeroGS: VU1 too much data, ignore if gfx are fine'. Maybe this means something to you, hopefully enough to tell me what's the problem and how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored links

Quote:According to my system settings, it has to be possible to run it on that speed

and your system settings are ?...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-12-2009, 02:26 PM)jesalvein Wrote:
Quote:According to my system settings, it has to be possible to run it on that speed

and your system settings are ?...

Win XP SP3
3,2 GHz Intel processor (supports SSE2)
1 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6200 256Mb DDR2 TV DVI

As far as I understood the FAQ, this should be enough to run 30 fps.
with latest rev and all speedhacks enabled, maybe.... But don't expect miracles with a weak rig like the one you have
(05-12-2009, 11:16 PM)GenGF Wrote: ...
Win XP SP3
3,2 GHz Intel processor (supports SSE2)
1 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce 6200 256Mb DDR2 TV DVI

As far as I understood the FAQ, this should be enough to run 30 fps.

FAQ Wrote:What are the requirements for using this emulator?

Minimum
* Windows 2000 or newer/Linux OS
* CPU that supports SSE2 (Pentium 4 and up, Athlon64 and up)
* GPU that supports Pixel Shaders 2.0
* 512mb RAM

Recommended
* Windows Vista 32bit/64bit
* CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.2ghz or better
* GPU: 8600gt or better
* 1gb RAM (2gb if on Vista)

don't know where you read that with your system you'll get at least 30 fps with ff12. unless your intel cpu is at least a core2duo or newer you're not even close to the recommended specs.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403
As far as I know, I have more then enough to run at minimum. A normal PC game runs on perfect speed with bad graphics on 'minimum' requirements.

Unless your minimum just means you need that to get 5 fps, it should work fine.
Quote:A normal PC game runs on perfect speed with bad graphics on 'minimum' requirements.

sure... Can you tell me what makes you think that FFXII running under pcsx2 is a "normal pc game" ?

Quote:Unless your minimum just means you need that to get 5 fps, it should work fine

It means the emulator boots. Not that you will get playable speeds.
(05-13-2009, 08:15 AM)GenGF Wrote: As far as I know, I have more then enough to run at minimum. A normal PC game runs on perfect speed with bad graphics on 'minimum' requirements.

Unless your minimum just means you need that to get 5 fps, it should work fine.

Emulation is different...

Rolleyes
Ok, next question:

What does it take to make my computer run pcsx2 correctly? Will an upgrade be enough? Or do I need to get a complete newer rig?

And what (to fall back on my first question), are the most suitable options to run the game? I can't imagine I'm playing with the best options, so till I have better specs I want to push everything out what's possible.

And how about the fails I get? What is the cause?

Quote:While playing, I continiously receive the message 'ZeroGS: Invalid unpack type'. At the beginning, this was 'ZeroGS: VU1 too much data, ignore if gfx are fine'. Maybe this means something to you, hopefully enough to tell me what's the problem and how to proceed.
(05-13-2009, 10:05 AM)GenGF Wrote: Ok, next question:

What does it take to make my computer run pcsx2 correctly? Will an upgrade be enough? Or do I need to get a complete newer rig?

it will run pcsx2 "correctly", but you'll have speed problems with many games. minimum requirements only tell you that some less intensive games will be playable at a reasonable speed, if you want 50-60 fps for most of the compatible games then you need the recommended specs or something comparable.

your upgrade options depend on your mainboard. what is it exactly?

speed config: update pscx2/plugins - install latest directx sdk/gpu drivers - run the game as an iso file from your hdd - try gsdx/zerogs - anti-aliasing off/native resolution on - fullscreen - no texture filtering - set clamp modes in advanced options to none/normal - activate speedhacks, but only one by one, some of them may break your game completely (please correct me if something is wrong or missing)

and i have absolutely no idea about your zerogs error messages.
CPU Core [email protected] | GPU Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 | RAM 8GB DDR-3 1600MHz CL9 | OS Win7 Ultimate (x64) SP1
EMU PCSX2 v1.1.0 r5645 | GS GSdx SSE4 r5632 | SPU2 SPU2-X r5559 | PAD LilyPad r5403 | CDVD cdvdGigaherz r5403