FF12 Slowdown Help (Used to work fine)
With the help of some of the more patient forum goers, I was able to get FF12 running on my laptop at a consistent 60 fps using the gsdx10 direct3D10 software on native resolution a few months ago. At the time my discs were cleaned and defragmented and I used a 4gig flashdrive for extra RAM.
However, when I tried to run it again yesterday under the same conditions, the framerate sunk to around 30 and wouldn't rise. I tried closing EVERYTHING that wasn't pcsx2 through task manager, but with no noticeable increase in framerate. My laptop was plugged in (This was a problem once, causing the framerate to take a similar plummet). I am at my wit's end, and any assistance or ideas would be immensely appreciated!

Sponsored links

Here's some more setting information if it will help:

EE/IOP:
EmotionEngine: Recompiler
IOP: Recompiler
Round Mode: Chop/Zero
Clamping Mode: None

VUs:
VU0: microVU Recompiler
VU1: microVU Recompiler
Round Mode: Chop/Zero
Clamping Mode: None

GS:
Base Framerate Adjust: 100%
Slow Motion Adjust: 50%
Turbo Adjust: 200%
Frame Skipping: Disabled
Frames to Draw/Skip: 2

GS Window:
Aspect Ratio: Standard (4:3)
Custom Window Size: 640x480

Speedhacks:
EE Cyclerate: 2
VU Cycle Stealing: 1
Enable INTC Spin Detection
Enable Wait Loop Detection
Enable fast CDVD
mVU Flag Hack

Game Fixes: None

And here are my laptop specs if they are needed:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
64-bit Operating System
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
Is your Power Plan on "High Performance"?
Does your laptop have Optimus?

What do the EE% and GS% say when the game is slow?

FYI - That 4gb flashdrive will not help a bit. The internal 4gb you have already is more than sufficient (and faster, as well).
(10-17-2011, 09:33 PM)Rezard Wrote: Is your Power Plan on "High Performance"?
Does your laptop have Optimus?

What do the EE% and GS% say when the game is slow?

FYI - That 4gb flashdrive will not help a bit. The internal 4gb you have already is more than sufficient (and faster, as well).

My power plan is on Maximum performance. How do I check for Optimus, and is it good for the emulator? As for the EE% and GS%, during the opening cinematic, the former is close to 100% and the latter is between 15% and 20%, but during gameplay when the framerate is around 20-30fps they both stick to the upper 90%. When I first start the pcsx2 and see the playstation logo, they both fluctuate wildly, and the framerate is everywhere.
Optimus sucks for performance.
The reason being that it's when a laptop can dynamically switch between your dedicated GPU and the integrated one. Odds are your laptop would have been advertised as having it if it did, since they're usually quite proud of these things.

In either case, you should be able to access your nVidia Control Panel, and set how it handles the pcsx2.exe specifically.

That'd be my current guess as to what's throttling you. That, or maybe your CPU is getting hot, and throttling itself.

Also worth mentioning is the slow motion mode, in case you've inadvertently enabled it (shift+Tab I think it was). That'll cap you at 30fps.
(10-17-2011, 10:10 PM)Rezard Wrote: Optimus sucks for performance.
The reason being that it's when a laptop can dynamically switch between your dedicated GPU and the integrated one. Odds are your laptop would have been advertised as having it if it did, since they're usually quite proud of these things.

In either case, you should be able to access your nVidia Control Panel, and set how it handles the pcsx2.exe specifically.

That'd be my current guess as to what's throttling you. That, or maybe your CPU is getting hot, and throttling itself.

Also worth mentioning is the slow motion mode, in case you've inadvertently enabled it (shift+Tab I think it was). That'll cap you at 30fps.

Alright, so I think I found what you were talking about, but switching to the high performance Nvidia processor didn't help the framerate at all. And slomo wasn't the problem either. What really confuses me is that the emulator used to run smoothly a few months ago before I tinkered with any of these things, and I don't think I changed any major settings. I've downloaded new applications since then, but even when I close everything and end all nonrelated functions the framerate is still sluggish at best. When there is nothing on the screen or it is only occupied by very simplistic graphics, the framerate stays around 60fps, but as soon as any 3d rendering is required, it plummets.
Your graphics card is crap. Try enabling 8-bit textures in GSDX and see if that help.
I'm not sure about the GFX card because I have never used a Quadro or FireGL before. And even if the integrated Intel HD 3000 is in used, he should be able to get full speed with native. In fact I have tested this game on an i3 @ 2.13 Ghz and Intel HD (not 3000) and the game runs well (45 FPS at the opening scene), although 2x native decreases emulation speed a bit.

Why does PCSX2 system requirement not mention the performance of Xeon/Operton and Quadro/FireGL? They are far more expensive than the odinary i7/Phenom 2 and GeForce/Radeon HD, respectively.
they are usually 10-15% slower than the architecture its based off.
They're just not made for this, technically.

It's like bringing a knife to a gun fight.
Sure, you can win;
But it better be one hell of a knife.