FFX FMV is flickering
I have an issue with the FMV's while playing FFX. So does a lot of other people apparently (I did some searching) but none of the suggested solutions out there seems to fix it for me.

The problem and very strange issue is that the FMV's seems to flicker or flash alternate frames between the last frame of the game before the FMV starts and the actual FMV. So that the last frame of the game is frozen while the FMV is playing/flickering. But here is the very strange thing. It doesn't happen with every FMV and it doesn't happen all the time with the same FMV even though I changed no settings. So that the FMV may play fine once but the next time I play through the exact same FMV it is flickering. Mostly though, every FMV is flickering which makes them unwatchable.

Most threads I read about this issue says that turning on interlacing (F5) while the FMV plays will fix the problem. But that does nothing for me what so ever. I've also tried using Native in GSdx and Logarithmic Z. Nothing seems to work. I have tried both dx10 and dx9, and also the different versions with support for different SSE instructions. Nothing has helped. (maybe I haven't found the right combination of these things?)

I'm using v0.9.6 of PCSX2 and have tried the version of GSdx that comes with it and also the latest GSdx v0.1.14 r887. Still no luck. I tried ZeroGS 0.97.1 briefly which played at least two FMV's normally but it created BIG graphical issues elsewhere in the game so that is also a no go.

Is there something I haven't tried or something I'm doing wrong?

PC:
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU: nvidia 285 gtx
6GB ram
Vista x64

Sponsored links

are you using the PAL FFX?
(04-08-2009, 05:46 PM)Saiki Wrote: are you using the PAL FFX?

Nope, NTSC. Why? Is there an issue with the PAL version and PCSX2
(04-08-2009, 06:01 PM)Fr33m4n Wrote:

well, I don't have the PAL one, but I can say that under gsdx10 it has not flickered once on me yet. what plugin settings are you using?
(04-08-2009, 06:03 PM)Saiki Wrote:
(04-08-2009, 06:01 PM)Fr33m4n Wrote:

well, I don't have the PAL one, but I can say that under gsdx10 it has not flickered once on me yet. what plugin settings are you using?

I'll post a screenshot of my settings:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

your card has dx10, use it. (grey nloop and texture filtering, disable vsync)
(04-08-2009, 06:07 PM)Saiki Wrote: your card has dx10, use it. (grey nloop and texture filtering, disable vsync)

The reason I'm not using dx 10 is that it creates an annoying black line down the faces of some of the characters.

But I'll give it a go in case that is what is causing it.
the lines are minor, but the rest of it is nearly flawless.

FF12 has the same issue with the lines, but the game plays beautifully
(04-08-2009, 06:09 PM)Saiki Wrote: the lines are minor, but the rest of it is nearly flawless.

FF12 has the same issue with the lines, but the game plays beautifully

Well, as far as I can tell the graphics looks the same with dx9 and dx10 except that dx10 has that annoying black line. That is why I'm currently sticking with dx10.

I'm not sure if I have a savepoint near an FMV but I'll try immediately and see if I can find one.
fmvs are all over the place, you're bound to run into a few quickly (or run the demo vid when you boot FFX)