FFX minor slowdown when scene changes
Does the same happen in your PS2? If it does then it's the game's fault.
CPU:
Intel Core2 Duo T5450 (1.666 GHz)
[Image: gzztty.png]
GPU:
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (500 MHz)
GPU-Z Validation
Other:
RAM: DDR2-666 (2 GB)
---
Not a gaming PC, but I'll try to get a better one in the future.

Sponsored links

(05-21-2014, 10:35 PM)rama Wrote: You can try using async spu2 to fix the audio side of the issue.
The problem could be CDVD related but I'm not sure.
Please try the new compressed reader by creating a .gz of your iso.

correct me i wrong here but using compression reader even it save space, would slow down reading of uncompressed iso no?

Also since when has HDD even fragmented become to slow for iso reading on the HDD is still 5x faster if not more so the the loading of the ps2 from disc/dvd. even so same amount data game wish is loaded regardless unless this is now because by the emulator it self. I fail to see or understand how iso read off hdd is to slow is suddenly to slow .

Though i am curious to the out come of ramdisk the whole iso when even if the ramdisk did fix would make no sense to me that same about data has come off the iso to load the scenes.

Could provide and example of scene change? preferable at begin of the game I have save where titus first lands in zanarkand. like does happen in the initial prerenderd scenes before you get to the start menu? if so these are my findings

Initial prerender cut scene I get drop from 59.98 fps to about 49.98 fps can hear the sound pause a sec too when the scene changes from the (black screen with credits) to the actual scene. Each and ever time I let it run. (well atlest from boot first boot of the game) if I let loop the fps/sound drop dont seem to there. but i just cant bring my self to buy that reading the iso (my iso is not fragmented none of my iso are as i just did defrag last night) off hdd is to slow to keep up, 100mb reads off defraged hdd is still way faster then ps2 ever loaded anything and the dont happen on ps2. but i guess i could be wrong.

DX11 hw
x4 native
Texture Filter (full)
4x AF
GSDX shader (everything on but color grading)

If i change to DX9 frame drop ist still there but instead of 49 fps it 53 fps sound pause still there. still only happens on first boot of game loops do not do it.
(05-22-2014, 08:21 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: correct me i wrong here but using compression reader even it save space, would slow down reading of uncompressed iso no?

Not always. For instance, the compressed file is smaller, so it's spread over less HDD fragments than uncompressed file, and sometimes fragmentation can make the game slower than the decompression. Most of the time it probably won't be faster though, true. But probably also not much slower, if at all.

(05-22-2014, 08:21 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Also since when has HDD even fragmented become to slow for iso reading on the HDD is still 5x faster if not more so the the loading of the ps2 from disc/dvd. even so same amount data game wish is loaded regardless unless this is now because by the emulator it self. I fail to see or understand how iso read off hdd is to slow is suddenly to slow .

HDD fragmentation can cause it to be slower than DVD on some cases, especially if on a DVD the data is the next sector (so accessed close to instant with a DVD) and on HDD due to fragmentation it's miles away.
(05-22-2014, 08:36 PM)avih Wrote: Not always. For instance, the compressed file is smaller, so it's spread over less HDD fragments than uncompressed file, and sometimes fragmentation can make the game slower than the decompression. Most of the time it probably won't be faster though, true. But probably also not much slower, if at all.

HDD fragmentation can cause it to be slower than DVD on some cases, especially if on a DVD the data is the next sector (so accessed close to instant with a DVD) and on HDD due to fragmentation it's miles away.

like said my iso are not fragment there also at front of the drive. even stranger i see the fps in in same exact spot every time on initial loading. I tried the fast Cdvd no difference if i think about i think this always happens i just never pay attention to to i read this topic. but like Blyss Sarania effect like demi are smooth as silk.

so i really cant bring my self to believe reading the iso off hdd is slower then dvd reading in anyway. anyway my test where doing use 1.3.0.5927

Just done test with the iso on my SSD samsung 830 128g and fps drop is still there on initial load of game in same scene in any loop after that is not there. Im sorry but i dont buy 300+ mb read are to slow as there are no heads on ssd. even in worst of cases SSD will always be way way faster then dvd read. i think it caching/compile thing but i know nothing about programing.

Just ran in DX11 software mode 3 thread. There is NO fps drop or sound issue with the transition from black screen with credits to actual scene. Put back DX11 hw mode its there.

EE/GS in DX11 25-35/ 25-40 no spike in either when the fps/sound issue appears

EE/GS DX11 software 25ish/25 ish no spikes no fps/sound issue

Either way i curious to what causes it. And if ramdisk would actual fix this.
(05-22-2014, 08:59 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: like said my iso are not fragment there also at front of the drive.

You were asking if it's possible, I answered yes, on some cases it's possible. I didn't say that it's because your HDD was fragmented.

(05-22-2014, 08:59 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: Just done test with the iso on my SSD samsung 830 128g and fps drop is still there on initial load of game in same scene in any loop after that is not there. Im sorry but i dont buy 300+ mb read are to slow as there are no heads on ssd. even in worst of cases SSD will always be way way faster then dvd read. i think it caching/compile thing but i know nothing about programing.

Again, I never said this issue was due to slow disk access, just that disk access may cause issues. If you'll read my posts again, you'll see I specifically said I think it's NOT disk access:

(05-22-2014, 03:01 AM)avih Wrote: Bottom line, I would guess that this is VU recompilation more than anything else. But it's still a guess, and I don't have this game to try myself.
Didnt notice your first post on the first page said that sorry. but like said from my tests its not HDD issue at all. Works fine in software mode no slow down at all but in hw mode it happes
As far as examples, I don't remember at the start of the game, but say for instance, in the Kilika temple, when you first walk into the chamber of the fayth area where Lulu, Wakka and Kimarhi are standing, it did it then. Also upon first entering the temple. I am going to attempt the ramdisk plan now and see how it works out.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Okay I haven't tested the game yet, but I wanna say that ImDisk is awesome! I had been wondering if there was a tool that could mount/unmount ramdisks in Windows without a reboot. There is. Having to reboot is the main reason I haven't used a ramdisk before actually.

(Forgive me if this is common knowledge, but it's new to me. The only other ramdisk software I've tried requires a reboot to mount/unmount it. E.g. if you boot with the ramdisk, you are stuck with less ram and if you need more you gotta reboot... etc)
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Okay, it's NOT disc access. Even with the ISO in ram, those slowdowns still happen.
Check, and thanks Smile