FFX running very slowly
Hey, I'm rather new here, and I'm having trouble running FFX properly, so help would be much appreciated.

My computer specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
2 GB DDR2 Ram
some awful POS sound card
Windows XP

The RAM is a little weak, but the GPU is a horse and the processor is generally powerful enough to handle anything I throw at it.

However, FFX is running very slowly. As soon as the intro movie hits, the intro song is playing half as fast as it should be, and the movie is running very slowly. I've tried dozens of different configurations, and I really can't figure out what the problem is.

I also have a laptop which has an absolutely abysmal onboard GPU, 3GB of DDR3 RAM, and a Pentium Dual Core 2.0 GHz T4200 processor, and it actually managed to run it a little better (which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me), but still not very well at all.It is, however, running Vista, which gives it DX10, so that certainly might help.
(I just tried to run it again with DX10 enabled, and my laptop BSOD'd on me. That can't be good.)

So basically... Why is it running so slowly? Is my processor not equipped to handle this? Because I'm fairly sure that none of the options/plugins are causing this, as I've tried so many different configurations...

I can post them, though, if I need to. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored links

Your processor is weak. Even though it probably can handle everyday use, pcsx2 is just very intensive. I would say to try playing with the speedhacks, but it would seem you already have. Hopefully someone else will have some more optimistic advice.
(08-17-2009, 08:27 PM)Gabbo3 Wrote: My computer specs are as follows:

Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
[...]

The RAM is a little weak, but the GPU is a horse and the processor is generally powerful enough to handle anything I throw at it.

Apparently you've never thrown PCSX2 at it. Wink

To give you an idea of comparison, a Core2 Duo 2.2ghz series CPU is roughly 2x to 2.5x more powerful than your Pentium D, and if you read, a lot of folks with such CPUs struggle to get nice fps in many games. Especially FMVs, which are 90% work of your CPU (the video card just does very basic image display in that case).

Emulating the PS2 is very complicated, and requires an incredible amount of work compared to native PC games. So yeah, you're going to be hard pressed to get playable framerates with that CPU.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(08-17-2009, 08:48 PM)Air Wrote: To give you an idea of comparison, a Core2 Duo 2.2ghz series CPU is roughly 2x to 2.5x more powerful than your Pentium D, and if you read, a lot of folks with such CPUs struggle to get nice fps in many games. Especially FMVs, which are 90% work of your CPU (the video card just does very basic image display in that case).

I'll back that by saying right now I'm playing metal Gear Solid 3. FMVs play at 14fps, the game will get about 30 most times. I'm running a Pentium Dual Core @2.2 (e2200) I know most with Core 2 Duos pull faster speeds
So basically... Time for a new processor?
pretty much
Well that's a bummer.
Would probably just be cheaper to buy an old PS2 Tongue
if you want to play pcsx2 on your computer, definitely. I would suggest a Core 2 Duo E8400, since it seems to be quite popular for the emulation...
My Laptop:
CPU: intel T4200 @ 2.0 ghz
GPU: Intel GMA X4500M
Ram: 3 Gb DDR2
SO: WinVista Home Premium // Windows 7 Ultimate x32
I'm running an E2200, something a little faster should suffice (like an [email protected]) mind you I'm talking stock, not overclocked
(08-17-2009, 09:45 PM)Gabbo3 Wrote: Well that's a bummer.
Would probably just be cheaper to buy an old PS2 Tongue

Well, basically, you're supposed to own a PS2 to use this emulator legally.

Didn' t you read the rules ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go