FFXII on Ubuntu 16.04 slow and choppy sound
Hello!

So as the title says the performance in Final Fantasy XII is sometimes slow and makes the sound go choppy or robotic. It slows down when there's more action or characters on screen.

I've tried all sorts of configurations to tackle this but it seems I have no idea what I'm doing, since nothing has worked.

I'm using these plugins: libGSdx-1.0.0, libonepad-1.1.0, libspu2x-2.0.0, libCDVDnull, libUSBnull-0.7.0, libFWnull-0.7.0, libdev9null-0.5.0

Europe v2.00 BIOS

Ubuntu 16.04 64-bit
8 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1400
GeForce GT 630 (Gallium 0.4 on NV108)
X.Org driver

Sponsored links

What are your gsdx settings ?
Since your GPU is a bit weak you shouldn't push internal res too high
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(12-14-2017, 04:16 PM)jesalvein Wrote: What are your gsdx settings ?
Since your GPU is a bit weak you shouldn't push internal res too high
I took screenshots of the settings.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

what do the ee% & GS% say when it's slow ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
ee goes under 60% when things start to get choppy and I saw it get as low as 18%
GS can be around 20 - 50 % when choppy.

The first Playstation 2 intro screen is super slow and they both go down to 1%
I would suggest to install the proprietary driver which should be much faster.
(12-15-2017, 11:06 AM)gregory Wrote: I would suggest to install the proprietary driver which should be much faster.

I will try that. It seems to have gotten better on it's own. The day I had the slowest performance I also experience the whole computer freezing. Just total pause and zero responsiveness. Yesterday and today it hasn't done that anymore and the game slows down much less. Maybe I can get 100% performance with the proprietary drivers.
So I had system freezes on my Ubuntu 16.04 and just didn't want to start digging. At least more than I wanted to hop distros so I'm now trying out Pop!_os which ran FFXII perfectly. Could even raise resolution to 3x so the game looks much nicer now.

It slows down in menus with the 3x res though, but nothing that worries me.

I THINK I have the proprietary drivers now for Nvidia. That brings me to an interesting point about Pop!_os. Why would you remove a setting like that? I can configure my drivers without installing new software. Pop's nice but they've deleted too many things in effort to make it simplistic and clean. But.. it works and I know how to install software.. so it's not broken and ain't gonna fix it.