FPS 10 or so on a Dell XPS 15 - L502X
Hello to everyone,

I'm a noob when it comes to PCSX2, actually, my doing this for my Son. Yeah, I know its typically the kid who knows more about computer than the parent, but . . . I've been into computers since I was in college (1974, yeah, I'm old).

My Son's laptop is a Dell XPS 15 (L502X) and thus far every game I've tried runs really slowly (e.g. FPS 10 to 13), when not in a prerecorded scene or intro.

I downloaded and installed 0.9.8 (the most recent and I think supported) and watched some Youtube videos about how to configure PCSX2. I got the controller working and am using the performance on average (tried levels 1, 2, and last one 3). All have the same results.

NOTE: I also tried setting affinity to processor 0 and 1, only. This didn't help. (I didn't do the other settings suggested in one message, as I couldn't find them.)

NOTE: I set priority to high and again no change.

NOTE: I'm using the Dell Turbo monitor and the CPU is running at 2.8 Ghz once the emulator starts.

I'm also doing a full boot / startup.

I'd really appreciate help / direction, as I've been using Google, as well as the search for this forum. While there is stuff to read, I'm not having much luck in finding anything helpful. As ALL games have this same issue, I'm suspecting it is something common to all games. (Like the processor issue I read about.)

Thanks!

PrisonGuy

Sponsored links

They would still need the hardware which the Laptop got and if you or your son gonna play on it, it is always recommended to pur your power savings settings to High Performance Smile
DELL XPS 15 (L502x) Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1333 640GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M,
that's what Google popped up for me, if it's the same computer then with the right speed hacks (such as MTVU from the SVN Releases) he should be able to get most games to play+^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
(04-06-2012, 10:41 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: They would still need the hardware which the Laptop got and if you or your son gonna play on it, it is always recommended to pur your power savings settings to High Performance Smile

Thank you for the heads up and help. Here is what I know about the system:

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Service Pack 1
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: XPS L502X
Rating: 5.4 Windows Experience Index
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20Ghz (Turbo to 2.80 Ghz)
Installed Memory: 8.00 GB (7.90 GB usable)
System Type: 64-bit Operating System

Intel® HD Graphics Family
Approx Total Memory: 1696 MB
DAC Type: Internal
Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

What else, if anything, would people need to know *and* how should I look it up for them (in your opinion)?

Again thanks! :-)

PrisonGuy.
(04-06-2012, 11:49 PM)ChikTikka Wrote: DELL XPS 15 (L502x) Notebook Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory DDR3 1333 640GB HDD 7200rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M,
that's what Google popped up for me, if it's the same computer then with the right speed hacks (such as MTVU from the SVN Releases) he should be able to get most games to play+^_^+

Hello,

Thank you for your reply and help.

Are the SVN accumulative? By that I mean: I noticed the MTVU fix you mention is # 5144. If I was to install # 5145 or 5146 would that also include the MTVU fix you mention? Would the "average" setting for the speed hack for the proper level?

Thank you,

PrisonGuy.
Yes they are accumulative, the latest one has all previous fixes in it. MTVU is a checkbox so it can only be on or off, no levels like EE and VU cycle steal hacks
[Image: newsig.jpg]
**updated**
be remind using pcsx2 on laptop is "farther" different than using pcsx2 desktops
laptops is already known or being slowed and less powerhouse on intense emulation

if could be use on a desktop:
*proper heat dissipation
*enough powerhouse(e.g. 650~950W PSW)
*latest i5~i7 has a "minimum" clock speed of 3.3Ghz
*hardware Maintenance in an eased.

if using an laptop if using pcsx2:
*the only factor here is limited heat dissipation as a caution on monitoring a temperatures you don't want to fry a laptop isn't it?
*running on batteries hates pcsx2 e.g. 50% battery life = 50% CPU usage cut.
*low on TDP thus processing power is not gonna be high.
*i already evaded running pcsx2 on my i7-laptop(i7-740QM) when it unsupassed 100C upon running pcsx2 i don't want to massacre a laptop isn't it.
*when it gets dusty it's pretty hard to remove the dust from the CPU heatsink making it hard to dissipate the heat need an air suction or an "oxygen tank" from the flame cutting tools of some sorts.

(04-07-2012, 02:37 AM)PrisonGuy Wrote: Intel® HD Graphics Family
Approx Total Memory: 1696 MB
DAC Type: Internal
Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DirectDraw Acceleration: Enabled
Direct3D Acceleration: Enabled
AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled

add pcsx2 to your Nvidia optimus or right click pcsx2's icon then choose high performance video card.
or read this
http://pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/NVIDIA-O...s-Customiz
Main PC1:i5-4670,HD7770(Active!)
Main PC2:i5-11600K,GTX1660Ti(Active!)
PCSX2 Discord server IGN:smartstrike
PCSX2 version uses:Custom compiled build 1.7.0 64-bit(to be update regularly)
smartstk's YouTube Channel
(04-07-2012, 03:18 AM)tallbender Wrote: add pcsx2 to your Nvidia optimus or right click pcsx2's icon then choose high performance video card.
or read this

Totally this^^^^, if i remember right, it defaults to the Intel Video chip for some reason and it took me 2 days to figure out what was wrong and set it to my 540M. and make sure your power plan is set to high performance.+^_^+ also don't worry if your i7 mobile gets to 80°C, they are rated to function to 90°C.
MTVU stands for Multi-Threaded Vector Unit (a PS2 CPU core name). The hack is used in separating Vector Core #1 to a separate a thread which imo is closer to actual PS2 hardware thus increasing speed. Vector core 0 is still attached to the EE thread for better synchronization i believe (i'm still learning how this thing works)+^_^+
Signature purposefully left blank.
(04-07-2012, 03:00 AM)Bositman Wrote: Yes they are accumulative, the latest one has all previous fixes in it. MTVU is a checkbox so it can only be on or off, no levels like EE and VU cycle steal hacks

Again .. noob ... ah, where do I find this check box?

Thanks! :-)
(04-07-2012, 03:18 AM)tallbender Wrote: add pcsx2 to your Nvidia optimus or right click pcsx2's icon then choose high performance video card.
or read this

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I've seen where this reduces my CPU usage!

But the games are still playing really slow 5fps - 18fps.

NOTE: I do have the power settings on High Performance.

I look forward to reading the article you suggest, though.

Thanks! :-)

(04-07-2012, 03:06 AM)tallbender Wrote: **updated**
be remind using pcsx2 on laptop is "farther" different than using pcsx2 desktops
laptops is already known or being slowed and less powerhouse on intense emulation

if could be use on a desktop:
*proper heat dissipation
*enough powerhouse(e.g. 650~950W PSW)
*latest i5~i7 has a "minimum" clock speed of 3.3Ghz
*hardware Maintenance in an eased.

if using an laptop if using pcsx2:
*the only factor here is limited heat dissipation as a caution on monitoring a temperatures you don't want to fry a laptop isn't it?
*running on batteries hates pcsx2 e.g. 50% battery life = 50% CPU usage cut.
*low on TDP thus processing power is not gonna be high.
*i already evaded running pcsx2 on my i7-laptop(i7-740QM) when it unsupassed 100C upon running pcsx2 i don't want to massacre a laptop isn't it.
*when it gets dusty it's pretty hard to remove the dust from the CPU heatsink making it hard to dissipate the heat need an air suction or an "oxygen tank" from the flame cutting tools of some sorts.

Thank you so very much for the detailed information.

We're running with the AC power and high performance. Still having performance issues 5fps to 18fps.

Hoping it can work :-)

Thanks!