FPS 10 or so on a Dell XPS 15 - L502X
Download MSI Afterburner and make sure pcsx2 is using your GPU. If it's not, download the latest drivers from Nvidia's site, not Dell's.

Sponsored links

(04-07-2012, 10:18 AM)synce Wrote: Download MSI Afterburner and make sure pcsx2 is using your GPU. If it's not, download the latest drivers from Nvidia's site, not Dell's.

Thanks for the reply, when I got the laptop I immediately upgraded the graphics drivers to the Nvidia drivers. As for Afterburner, I'm hoping it won't be necessary, as it does put a strain on the system and I'm not sure my Son will monitor it well enough. He feels a computer is like a car, you get into it and drive (nothing more to it).

Again thanks!
UPDATE: I have been able to get SOME parts of games to work at close to 60 fps, but many others are still at 8-16 fps. Well, at least with one game -- Gauntlet Dark Legacy (running off of an ISO).

NOTE: What is different this time is I simply decided to try the game out even at 8-16 fps to see what happened. I walked into an area where the game almost immediately jumped to 51-60 fps. I went back to the other area and, yup, down to 8-16 fps. BTW, before starting the game I set the game to use only 2 cores. Next time I'll try more cores.

Is this normal???? Does it point to another problem or solution, etc?

Thanks for reading and we appreciate your help.
OK, I've been able to get the area with 8-16 fps in Gauntlet Dark Legacy up to 22 to 25 fps. What I did was change the Plugins as follows:

Configured the GSdx 4600 to use Direct 10 Hardware instead of Direct 9 Hardware -- With texture filtering off I get 23-25 fps and with it on I'm getting 19 - 23 fps.
QUESTION: What is texture filtering and should it be on or off?

Configured the CDVD use Linuz Iso CDVD instead of the default (sorry forgot what it was).

PrisonGuy

Any thoughts on improving this even more?
hi,
i think you have not added your pcsx2 into high-performance NVidia processor
i am having Dell XPS 15 - L501X (GT 420M)
works perfect for me
i get over 60 fps
- MAKE SURE it uses the NVIDIA GPU and not the Intel one.
- MAKE SURE your CPU frequency can go up to around 3GHz while you play (it won't always stay there, but it's important to make sure it can get there if needed).
- Try presets 4-5 (sometimes even 6, e.g. at God Of War games, but for most games it will cause false FPS reads).
- Try lower resolution at GSdx settings (check "Native resolution", or, for the sake of it, try custom resolution of 256x256 just to see how if affects speed - it WILL look ugly though).
- Try to enable 8-bit textures at GSdx (depends on the game).
- Try to enable MTVU at the speedhacks panel of the configuration (only useful because you have 4 actual cores).

And yes, it's normal that some "harder to emulate" parts of some games will have lower FPS (e.g. menus sometimes run faster than in-game, and lots of enemies on screen or otherwise intense graphics will take its toll). Also, some games are harder to emulate than others, so your speed will change with different games.

Also, no need to use the CDVD plugin or to mount the DVD ISO image. PCSX2 supports reading ISO files directly: CDVD -> Iso Selector -> Browse (the plugin is mostly useful only to read actual DVD media which you put at the DVD tray, and it will be slower than using an ISO image).

Report back.
Could you try running the gam in native resolution under the gsdx plugin...it might help you...

I meant game not gam...sorry
Intel core i5 3210m @3.1ghz
Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2Gb DDR5 (Core:975mhz/Memory:1000mhz)Cool
8Gb DDR3 1600hmz Ram
1Tb Hdd
1600x900 Hd resolutionBiggrin
Windows 8.1 64bit
Plus use average speed hacks...i'm really not sure if it'll work for you but you could always try Smile
Intel core i5 3210m @3.1ghz
Nvidia Geforce GT650m 2Gb DDR5 (Core:975mhz/Memory:1000mhz)Cool
8Gb DDR3 1600hmz Ram
1Tb Hdd
1600x900 Hd resolutionBiggrin
Windows 8.1 64bit
Hi PrisonGuy.

I'm a notebook user too.I do have some recommendation about config of pcsx2 for your ref.

1)I will place the ISO into usb for pcxs2.You may wonder it is slower than place it in hdd.In fact ,the ISO in usb is better since window system will engage hdd resource in background whatever it is doing (especially for single hdd notebook).It can also protect your system hdd from quick aging too.
2)pcxs2 directx is suggested to selected dx11hardware.other option will only degrade performance.
3)You can try to enable MTVU for 4 core cpu.
4)sound mixing selected to hermite(better high),output setting to directsound (x-audio is not as good as direct sound)

I'm using 720qm cpu with hd5850 graphics.It is ok performance after i changed the points mentioned about.

I hope it can help