FPS Drops, phenom II
Hello, I'll make use of this thread for the same purpose. At the moment I'm having troubles with framedrops too, during loading screens and cutscenes it is alright(God of War II and Ratchet: Gladiator), but actual gameplay is really bad. I've tried various videos, but I'm starting to think I should start configuring my emulator AND my hardware, although my hardware is more than capable of running this.
Anyway here are my specs: Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 45 °C (6core at ~3,3GHz, can be overclocked to 3,7 if needed, but rather not)
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 671MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-990FXA-UD3 (Socket M2) 41 °C
Graphics
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) 50 °C (HD6950)
Storage
465GB Western Digital WDC WD50 00AAKX-001CA0 SATA Disk Device (SATA) 35 °C

The problem right now is that even with speedhack enabled and lowest settings that the gameplay still drops to 30 fps.
I would love to be helped and if possible(you will have to tell me howto) I will post as many logs as possible to fix this problem.
This emulator makes me feel so nostalgic, the Playstation 2 has carried me through a lot of years and right now it is eating dust, but it would be amazing if I could just run these games on my pc, saves space!

Edit:
Found this bit in a sticky thread:
Will work at a reasonably playable speed (this does not mean full speed):
AMD Phenom II

How come it works slowly on a Phenom II?
I'm running the Dolphin emulator without any fps drops, how come a ps2 emulator, which should be less demanding is having a hard time?
I'm no hardware expert but I guess the problem lies with the compatibility?
If anyone would care to help I would be amazed.
If it is not possible with this emulator, then just tell me, I will stop trying then.

Sponsored links

This CPU has an STP of 1260.
Considering pcsx2 "sweet spot "is around 1600, the performances drops you get in demanding games aren't surprising.
Quote:How come it works slowly on a Phenom II?
I'm running the Dolphin emulator without any fps drops, how come a ps2 emulator, which should be less demanding is having a hard time?
Er... Care to explain why it should be less demanding ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(06-26-2015, 10:32 PM)jesalvein Wrote: This CPU has an STP of 1260.
Considering pcsx2 "sweet spot "is around 1600, the performances drops you get in demanding games aren't surprising.
Er... Care to explain why it should be less demanding ?

Actually no clue, I'm just saying stupid stuff it seems, checked up my facts.
But this basically means that I won't be able to use the emulator properly, unless I upgrade my processor?

I'm considering building a new pc anyway, my best go is an i7, right?
(06-26-2015, 11:38 PM)NicoNL Wrote: Actually no clue, I'm just saying stupid stuff it seems, checked up my facts.
But this basically means that I won't be able to use the emulator properly, unless I upgrade my processor?

I'm considering building a new pc anyway, my best go is an i7, right?

If you want an i7, go with the 4790K, otherwise go with i5-4690K imo. (Saves you about a 100 bucks probably? Not sure about the current pricing.)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
your cpu had same stp as my cpu @ stock and i dont OC and i can run some demanding rather demanding games like Xenosaga, DQ8, VP2 just fine at 3x,4x with most Shader effects in GSDX shader on , then again i been told i shouldnt be able too. and me and blyss couldnt fiqure out why. same scenes he has struggles to keep 40fps in xenosaga i get 60fps. and blyss has much higher stp then mine.

I still think 1260 stp on amd is not same as intel. or maybe they are just not with pcsx2. that or there are magic gnomes in my pc. and if there are well they can stay. can try give the guides in my sig a go but would not expect any miracles
its probably because the multithreading is better on the intel (especially as you have hyperthreading which is great for queuing thread stuff up) and PCSX2 doesn't only use 1 core, it has up to 3 threads which need to be controlled.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Thanks for the help so far.
I've decided to build a new pc, not only because of this emulator, but also because my current PC is giving in on some points.

I'll be going for an i7 4790k 4x 4.0GHZ with an nvidia GTX970 4GB.
Also probably going for a Gigabyte motherboard: Z97 D3H
As for RAM and what computer case I should take I'm not certain yet, but I want my cpu to be watercooled, because right now my pc sounds like a vacuumcleaner.

Ain't no way I'll be having fps problems after this.
if you get an all in one cooler, the corsair fans are pretty noisy, i would recommend replacing them with Noctual NF-F12 fans as these still have good static pressure but are a lot quieter
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]