FPS troubles
I have searched through quite a few threads lookings for answers on why my fps is sickly 10-12 just playing the intro to a game and didnt find an answer, that made any difference anyway.

CPU: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core 2.1GHz
Ram: 3GB
GPU: ATI Radeon 3100 -256MB Displayed - 1.2GB Shared

I realize I don't have a beast of a machine here but its a laptop and I am forced to settle with it instead of my desktop (joined the Army) for now.

All I am trying to do so far is play Gladius, and theres no way this laptop cant out do a PS2.

Any help?

Diag attached

.txt   DxDiag.txt (Size: 27,46 KB / Downloads: 640)

Sponsored links

(08-21-2009, 07:05 AM)russell25u Wrote: All I am trying to do so far is play Gladius, and theres no way this laptop cant out do a PS2.

Sure, your laptop can probably outdo a PS2, though not by as much as you probably think. And that's moot. What it can't do is emulate one.

Quick explanation: Emulation requires creating and managing what we fancy pants programmers call a Virtual Machine. This particular virtual machine (a PS2) is a combination of four (4!!) MIPS cpus, we have to translate and execute each MIPS instruction for each of these CPUs using a series of Intel cpu instructions, and additionally all memory references must be translated from PS2 mappings to PC mappings. For reference: The max potential throughput of the PS2's four parallel cpus is ~ 1.2 billion instructions per second.

Furthermore we have to record and maintain the entire machine state as each instruction is executed: This includes over 100 CPU registers, DMA controllers, and a Graphics Synthesizer (which is entirely unlike any modern video card and so it requires a great deal of conversion logic to render PS2 output).

Yes, someday PCSX2 will be faster than it is now. But it will prolly still suck on your laptop. Sorry. Unsure
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Besides of what Air just explained you have to consider the recommended specs for PCSX2 are way higher than you have, you might have to use software renderer on GSdx I think but usually this "stuck" low fps might be caused by some software in your computer but it's also possible the game just wont run any higher.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Enable all speedhacks, brought my 2005 laptop to 30fps in another 3d game.
But still, i also doubt you'll get more than 30-40fps on your laptop in that game.