Fatal Frame 2 odd graphics issue
Hi, all,

First post, so excuse me if this is the wrong place.

I'm trying to play Fatal Frame 2 on PCSX2 r5262, and I'm getting an odd bug that I haven't been able to fix. If you don't know, in Fatal Frame 2 you take pictures of ghosts using a special camera. When you have a ghost centered in your viewfinder, the ring in the center of the view lights up, and you can take a picture.

So, the problem. In DX11 hardware mode, I have to get very close to a ghost for the ring to light up so I can get a shot. As in, the camera is about an inch from their face. In software mode, the bug disappears, so I assume it's a GSdx problem. At first, I thought it was simply a problem with the first-person viewfinder, but sometimes, also in hardware mode only, ghosts don't move as they're supposed to, but just stand there, and the camera doesn't automatically "snap" to ghosts as it does in software. It seems that hardware mode somehow breaks the game's ghost detection. I've tried the alpha hack and the offset hack; the former did nothing and the latter created really weird artifacts. I've also tried it after disabling speedhacks. Finally, I've tried it with an older svn (r5161 I think) and the 0.9.8 stable release.

Is there anything I can try, or do I resign myself to playing in low quality?

Sponsored links

0.9.6 hardware mode works fine, works on fatal frame zero too, not quite sure about crimson butterfly.
otherwise, software mode your only choice
can you post the emulog.txt from the pcsx2 console while your playing?
Fact and Fiction, Where do you draw the line?
(06-03-2012, 11:17 PM)Fanoffemdom14 Wrote: can you post the emulog.txt from the pcsx2 console while your playing?

couldn't, completed it about 2years ago, if i remembered correctly, somewhere around within svn 2000-3000 introduced this bug
http://pcsx2.net/download/viewcategory/3...0-9-6.html
found 0.9.6, glad we have new website with everything, just default setting is fine
(06-03-2012, 10:53 PM)AcidRains Wrote: 0.9.6 hardware mode works fine, works on fatal frame zero too, not quite sure about crimson butterfly.
otherwise, software mode your only choice

You means you play Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on PCSX2? Blink
(06-04-2012, 03:43 AM)Livy Wrote: You means you play Mask of the Lunar Eclipse on PCSX2? Blink

ntsc-j series i got, so first is zero, follow by crimson butterfly and third is tormented, i think in ntsc-u is different listing.
no i haven't found a way to play mask of lunar eclipse on pcsx2Laugh
@ Fitz

Are you sure you don't touch any weird settings? I also had that game and I can make Zero Shot easily without going too near to the ghost..

Everything was fine here, the ghost also was moving and attacking like it should...
You can use DX9 hardware mode instead. It's a known bug
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(06-04-2012, 12:48 PM)Bositman Wrote: You can use DX9 hardware mode instead. It's a known bug
Okay. Is there any advantage to DX11 mode over DX9 mode in general? Just wondering if I should leave it on DX9 for compatibility's sake.
In this case DX9 is better. Usually DX11 has less bugs and is faster
[Image: newsig.jpg]