Feature Freeze, Compatibility List, A Call
PCSX2 is a very mature and feature rich PlayStation 2 emulator. I've kept an eye on the project since the days of linuzappz showing off builds that could boot the bios at a fraction of a frame per second. I remember the day we got FFXs to boot into it's opening scene and getting excited at seeing Yuna's horribly mangled face. That said there's some things that I believe we need to call on the greater community for. The compatibly list is horribly out of date and likely wrong in many cases. Ex. Does anyone really believe that Dead or Alive Hardcore Japanese release doesn't work when the American version does? Does anyone really believe that only 0.46% of games emulate perfectly? Is it fair to keep a game that is impossible to test because the service was shut down (final fantasy 11) listed as only getting into menus? Should there be an alternative category for games that only get into menus because of missing peripheral emulation(eye toy). I've seen games last tested as far back as 0.9.2(released in 2006) and there are probably older. Were their regressions in these games? Nobody really knows. How many of them elevated from playable to perfect? Nobody knows. There are over 1800 games released for the system just in the US never mind all the European, and Asian versions and exclusives. We can't undertake the task by ourselves to test this huge amount of games. It's why I'm suggesting we put out the call to YouTube "long players" to do what us few can't and test these games and upload the video evidence to YouTube and only ask that they label the videos with pcsx2.

Sponsored links

The Perfect rating was established in the past year or so. The game has to be complete 100% because otherwise the result isn't verified. Obviously this takes time and people willing to write a new report for the games they've finished

As for using Youtube videos, it's not a perfect system. Often they are using all sorts of hacks and weird configs to make the game work "better" (in their eyes). In that sense, it's hard to verify what they're doing as accurate. That's also pretty much the reason we don't use them, it's just not concrete data to go off of.
(01-05-2020, 12:29 AM)CK1 Wrote: The Perfect rating was established in the past year or so. The game has to be complete 100% because otherwise the result isn't verified. Obviously this takes time and people willing to write a new report for the games they've finished

As for using Youtube videos, it's not a perfect system. Often they are using all sorts of hacks and weird configs to make the game work "better" (in their eyes). In that sense, it's hard to verify what they're doing as accurate. That's also pretty much the reason we don't use them, it's just not concrete data to go off of.
if testing should require some sort of specific configuration isn't it possible to create some sort of "testers" edition that has extremely limited configuration options and disables all options for hacks?
We already have the development builds, I don't see the point in limiting configuration options further at people would likely be confused Tongue