[Feature Request] .mdx support is an image MDF/MDS combined into file
Thumbs Up 
I have DAEMON Tools Lite & Astroburn,
I used DAEMON Tools Lite to Image my own copies of FF10 and FF12 (PCSX2 seems to like them ok, for the MDF files that is.).

both in MDF and MDX format..
that is I noticed this newer format, come to figure out its just the MDS and MDF files combined into a single FILE HUWAYYYY no more multi-file Game images.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_Tools
Quote:The default file format of DAEMON Tools is Media Data eXtended (MDX). MDX is a disc image file format similar to MDS/MDF images. It supports all of MDS/MDF format features except that all data is in one monolithic file only. The files of these types bear the filename extension of .mdx.[19][20]

MDX file contains metadata of original media - specifically the main physical parameters of disc, such as layer breaks, sessions, tracks and other. It could be described as being an archive file containing all data from a CD/DVD. It also supports data compression. MDX file includes the magic number "MEDIA DESCRIPTOR" at the beginning of the file.

It will be really great/cool to see PCSX2 support this new(since last I had known/checked) format.

EDIT(2017-08-10):
any chance of this getting done?
it should be relatively easy considering that a
.mdx is nothing more then  .mds file tacked onto the head of the .mdf file...
I ask that way I would need a single file per game backup....  instead of two (.mds/.mdx)
this these two are the best image format for a DVD game disc...
(PC Specs)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-PRO (BIOS_r4602 [02/23/2023])
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti 8GB XC3 model by EVGA
GFX Drivers: Nvidia v536.40
RAM: 32GB, 2x G.Skill 16GB DDR4

Sponsored links

What is the advantage over .iso for pcsx2? The compression?
(04-10-2014, 08:26 PM)willkuer Wrote: What is the advantage over .iso for pcsx2? The compression?

is like the option 'compress iso' of Linuz Iso CDVD plugin...in a new format
I don't know anything about compression... but it combines the MDF and MDS files into one... so no more two files for every game

it should be easy to implement, I would hope so at least...

I gave links to the info and a Quoted excerpt of the details...

if the Dev's need more info they can always contact DAEMON Tools directly to get more info or who ever..

I recall ISO was good for re-burning... maybe but it is an old format...

MDS/MDF format is best if you intend to use it with Programs on a PC...

we had to use image-mounting alot at the LAN center I volunteered for games that would complain if the disc was not in the PC.. X(
ie we couldn't just hand out games disc like that too much risk of loss
(PC Specs)
Whats wrong with using ISOs?
PCSX2 works just fine with it so there is no need for an external tool and its just 1 file too.
MDS/MDFs are only useful for their copy protection features and that does not help for PS2/emulated games anyway, besides ISOs are usually smaler in size so that saves some disk space.
(04-11-2014, 08:12 PM)Grove4L Wrote: besides ISOs are usually smaler in size so that saves some disk space.

ehm...No.In size usually was 4 GB with Iso compression you can make like 10% less of iso image....I suppose newest compression mdx are better than Bz2 used in Linuz Iso plugin.......
my iso's range from 2.9-3.2GB, its small enough imo.
is it possible to add support for it?
since it is more or less a simple combination of MDF & MDS files in a single file...
it shouldn't be a problem to add support...??
(PC Specs)
I think is possible.....But i don't know for sure.....
I don't think the devs will care of providing support for non ISO formats just now, the team is already overloaded with emulation issues.

The point of those extended formats is they allow a series of resources not available on ISO and none of those are useful to PCSX2.

If still wanting to use MDF then you are restricted to use Daemon Tools or any virtual driver and run the PS2 emulated games from the plugin.

Set the virtual driver letter and make sure "Plugin" is selected on PCSX2 gui. But be aware that is not the preferred option.
Imagination is where we are truly real