Few problems running SoTC
Hello there!

Two nights ago at about 5 in the morning, I was watching Shadow of The Colossus gameplay on PCSX2 and thought that I have to give this whole thing a shot myself, so I'm pretty new to this whole thing.

I downloaded the latest revision of PCSX2 (5818) and looked up how to set the whole thing up. This is my current config:

EE Cycle: 2
VU Cycle: 2
MTVU: Disabled
GSdx32-SSE4-r5818
Renderer: Direct3D 11 (Hardware)
Resolution 6x Native
Texture Filtering On, Agressive CRC On, Half-pixel Offset On
Everything else is default.

And these are my specs:

Intel i7 920 Quad Core 2.67 Ghz (Not overclocked)
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 580
Windows 7 Professional

It might be that my CPU possibly can't handle the game fully, as it's not that new, but I thought I could use some advice nonetheless.

While running everything on default and running the game on the config above did make a pretty big difference in the FPS counter, the game itself doesn't seem too affected. I have bloom, four-eyed colossus, and my FPS dips between 40 to 60 almost everywhere outside of Shrine of Worship.

Am I not doing something I should be doing? Or is the problem on my computer's side? I realize the game needs some massive CPU power to run, but I thought that I have enough firepower to tackle this game. I might've been wrong about that though. The game is playable enough, I'm just wondering if I can smoothen it out more.

Hope someone has some ideas, thanks a lot in advance Smile

Sponsored links

Any reason you have mtvu disabled? Also consider overclocking. I have the same cpu and can hit 3.4ghz with just a bclk adjustment and drop the memory multiplier, I could even run it under stock voltage!
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-20-2014, 02:58 PM)refraction Wrote: Any reason you have mtvu disabled? Also consider overclocking. I have the same cpu and can hit 3.4ghz with just a bclk adjustment and drop the memory multiplier, I could even run it under stock voltage!

mtvu is a slowdown for Shadow of the Colosuss.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
Quote:Resolution 6x Native
Blink
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
6x might be okay on that card, but yes dropping it to 3-4x might help
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(01-20-2014, 02:52 PM)unstabLized Wrote: EE Cycle: 2

Won't using this slow down SotC severly?
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(01-20-2014, 03:51 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: Won't using this slow down SotC severly?

Nope. It works well.

I think Refractions advice is the best. Especially if the OP can't use MTVU.
Lenovo Y50-70 Gaming Laptop
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz - 3.6Ghz Quad Core
Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB
8GB DDR3 Ram
15.6'' Full HD 1920 x 1080 IPS
Windows 10 64 Bit
---
Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.4Ghz
Gigabyte H81M
Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB
8GB DDR 3 Ram
1TB WD Black
Windows 10 64 Bit
Phillips 23.6" 1920x1080 IPS
Besides overclocking the CPU and enabling MTVU, he needs to check his GPU usage. When the game runs at 60 real fps (near the starting point, because it's very empty) it pushes the GPU very hard, and resolutions above 3x native will cause the game to be below fullspeed with my overclocked Nvidia 760. When the game internally drops to 30fps or even less, GPU usage falls down a lot.

IIRC, the underclocking that VU cycle stealing causes, makes the game run at 30fps max. If that's his case, then the GPU may not be the limiting factor, and he just needs overclocking and/or MTVU.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30 DDR5
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
Just reduce the resolution to native. If that helps, then don't use x6, if it doesn't, then it's not the GPU.
Quote:EE Cycle: 2
VU Cycle: 2

Set this to 0

Quote:MTVU: Disabled

Enable it!

Quote:Resolution 6x Native

No,no...There are game that you will be able to play on this res, but SoTC is not one of them...3x max, even 2x for more comfort gameplay.

Quote:Intel i7 920 Quad Core 2.67 Ghz (Not overclocked)

Overclock it...You will see hude improvement in pcsx2.