File Mods
So I'm not sure what this would fall under, but I have a Disc copy of Crash Nitro Karts and I went through absolute hell to decrypt the Assets folder to rebalance all the characters. (spend hours on this) but now I don't know how to get these modified files (in a folder on my PC) to work with the disc version. I was hoping PCSX2 had a way to implement these new files into the game and if so can someone give me a brief tutorial, sadly these types of adjustments aren't possible via cheat engine.

Update: I managed to get out of Format underworld. now the rest is easy peasy file tinckering until there are no bug or unforseen crashes <3 thanks you guy!

Sponsored links

Probably the best move is, if you haven't already, dump your disc to an ISO. We generally recommend ImgBurn, and I personally recommend getting it from https://ninite.com, since Ninite is nice and blocks all the adware crap that some installers (ImgBurn is guilty of this) come with.

Once you have an ISO, you can start breaking things. The catch is, you have to be crafty with how you do so. If you unpack an ISO and then just casually repack its contents into a brand new ISO, chances are the formatting will be nowhere near what a PS2 game is actually expecting, and PCSX2 will then ***** its pants when you try to run it.

What I can recommend without getting into software that you have to pay for to spoof disc formats and such, is a little bit of patience and a hex editor. Specifically, HxD if you are on Windows. You can use HxD to directly modify the ISO contents without completely screwing the formatting up. Just copy paste the new file contents in and you should be set. Things could get complicated if the file sizes do not match though, so watch out for that. I would recommend to minimize chances of breaking things that you use the Tools > Open Disk Image option rather than directly opening the ISO.

Edit: An example of a quick text swap done not with patches but an ISO modification in HxD: https://i.imgur.com/aCclcEF.png
(02-08-2020, 01:14 AM)pandubz Wrote: Probably the best move is, if you haven't already, dump your disc to an ISO. We generally recommend ImgBurn, and I personally recommend getting it from https://ninite.com, since Ninite is nice and blocks all the adware crap that some installers (ImgBurn is guilty of this) come with.

Once you have an ISO, you can start breaking things. The catch is, you have to be crafty with how you do so. If you unpack an ISO and then just casually repack its contents into a brand new ISO, chances are the formatting will be nowhere near what a PS2 game is actually expecting, and PCSX2 will then ***** its pants when you try to run it.

What I can recommend without getting into software that you have to pay for to spoof disc formats and such, is a little bit of patience and a hex editor. Specifically, HxD if you are on Windows. You can use HxD to directly modify the ISO contents without completely screwing the formatting up. Just copy paste the new file contents in and you should be set. Things could get complicated if the file sizes do not match though, so watch out for that. I would recommend to minimize chances of breaking things that you use the Tools > Open Disk Image option rather than directly opening the ISO.

Edit: An example of a quick text swap done not with patches but an ISO modification in HxD: https://i.imgur.com/aCclcEF.png

I forgot to update this post, I did get the disc on ISO but now I'm just working around with the file so that it won't register as "Unreconized format" on PSX screen. I didn't know file size was relevant but I do have the option to pack the GOB file alittle more! Thank you btw, I was very close to just pulling hair lol (PS this is my first time relying on a forum)
File size is not always important but most of the time to be "sort" order(lba) is( the files located at specific sectors of the disc)

Some games expect the file to be at a specific address of the disc/image,they don't rely on file names
CDVD IML2ISO 5.30 or Xpert can usually do this but there are some picky games that also check the size of all of the files or/and the disc
Those are usually used to shrunk dvd9 games or dvd5 games that are using false lba or/and dummy files to increase the disc size to make it easier for the PS2 laser to read the disc but when playing from your internal hdd on the phat PS2(or iso on pc her),that's just a waste of space

I can't really help you more than that because it's been at least 7 years since I did anything game rebuilding related
(02-08-2020, 07:43 AM)vsub Wrote: File size is not always important but most of the time to be "sort" order(lba) is( the files located at specific sectors of the disc)

Some games expect the file to be at a specific address of the disc/image,they don't rely on file names
CDVD IML2ISO 5.30 or Xpert can usually do this but there are some picky games that also check the size of all of the files or/and the disc
Those are usually used to shrunk dvd9 games or dvd5 games that are using false lba or/and dummy files to increase the disc size to make it easier for the PS2 laser to read the disc but when playing from your internal hdd on the phat PS2(or iso on pc her),that's just a waste of space

I can't really help you more than that because it's been at least 7 years since I did anything game rebuilding related

The good news is I did manage to fix the issue with the Format error! and the game is running "smoothly" a few bugs with the modifications but now that I know the process, I don't see any issues in the future! alittle off topic here but I'm pretty families with codes, hex edits and what now because I use to do little Borderlands or Resi 5 save edits on my PS3, but this level of modding was new to me. and I really appreciation your advice Laugh and look at that, I turned you into a Sparta (referring to the 300 rep)
(02-08-2020, 01:14 AM)pandubz Wrote: Probably the best move is, if you haven't already, dump your disc to an ISO. We generally recommend ImgBurn, and I personally recommend getting it from https://ninite.com.link, since Ninite is nice and blocks all the adware crap that some installers (ImgBurn is guilty of this) come with.

I did get the disc on ISO but now I'm just working around with the file so that it won't register as "Unreconized format" on PSX screen. I didn't know file size was relevant but I do have the option to pack the GOB file alittle more!
The most recent post in this thread is more than 8 months old. Please create a new thread and refrain from posting in threads older than 8 months in the future. Please also review the forum rules. Thank you.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]