Final Fantasy X-2: Flickering FMV and blurry gameplay?
I'm using a recent SVN release of PCSX2 (compiled March 27th) and I"m using GSdx 841 but I'm having a couple of problems with Final Fantasy X-2 (NTSC/USA).

1) When using a higher rendering resolution (2048x2048) the FMVs looks like it has a grid overlayed with very tiny squares. After searching the forums it seems like using the native resolution is the fix. This works but it's annoying to exit the game to switch resolutions for every FMV. Are there any other fixes or an easier way to switch resolutions?

2) The FMVs flicker quite badly (eg. sorta like if you had v-sync off and the image was tearing or something). The solution seems to be to use an interlace mode but I haven't tried it yet.

3) The gameplay is really blurry is a couple of spots. Do I need to use special settings with FFX2?

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored links

1) yea. It's a know bug. Nothing you can do instead of watching them on native.
2) turn Interlacing on 'til it's like you wan't it to be (F5 or gdsx options)
3. No, you won't need special settings. Dunno what's really blurry for you? Maybe a screen. It could be an issue, but I bet it's nothing. Emulation is not perfect.
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
1) This is a known bug with no solution yet. To play FMV you'll have to settle with native resolution.

2) Yes, interleacing mode fixes this but not entirely, video will stop flickering (there are many interleacing modes so try wich fits best for you. For me, the two last ones works fine), but FMW will look "dead" with no vibrant colors, all greyed out... maybe this happens just to me. You've got to try out for yourself.

3) Blurry? I've beaten the game on my PS2 and have played a lot on PCSX2. The game does contain a lot of blurry scenes even on PS2 (when changing spheres (clothes, jobs), when doing some special moves that happens to have lots of visual effects and so on), so, if your game does looks blurry on some parts, it's probably because the game IS blurry on those parts. But you should notice it has to be "just enough" to give more visual attonishment, not to the point where it disturbs you.

P.S: Forgive my not-so-good-yet english =P
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
Thanks for the replies!

It would sure be handy if GSdx had a hot-key for toggling between native resolution and your selected resolution... Smile
I've taken a screenshot of the blur that I'm talking about:

(click for bigger)
[Image: 3422008643_0b80071b44.jpg]

See the shadow/outline around each character?

Is that normal?
(04-08-2009, 02:41 AM)sofakng Wrote: I've taken a screenshot of the blur that I'm talking about:

Is that normal?

These are the exact same two issues that I'm experiencing. The blurry shadow outlines are only visible in some scenes though.

Were you able to fix the FMV flickering with interlacing? What settings and what plugins are you using?
The FMV flickering I can fix using any of the following interlace modes:

Blend ttf
Blend bff
Weave ttf
Weave bff

I'm using GSdx svn 887 (compiled yesterday) but it also works for me with GSdx 890. Both are using DX10 Hardware.

However, depsite the FMVs looking bad because of interlacing I'm having another graphics error:
[Image: 3425303842_164ff51a3d.jpg]

See the overlapping text during the FMV?
what's your system specc?

60 FPS in the FFX-2 Vids are nice.
| i7 860 2.8@4ghz | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B | Asus Maximus Formula III | G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Gigabyte | 570 GTX AMP! | Enermax 720w PSU | X-Fi Titan | OCZ Vertex 120 GB |
(04-08-2009, 02:41 AM)sofakng Wrote: I've taken a screenshot of the blur that I'm talking about:

Is that normal?

That is, from what I can recall, a fairly common form of a camera focus affect used on PS2 and XBox1 games.

The idea is (and is implemented much better now) to attempt to simulate how a camera will focus on, and be sharp on, one depth, while being blurry on things closer and/or further from the focal point.

I haven't played FFX-2 on a real PS2 in a very VERY long time, so I can't be 100% sure this is the case here, but it fits with other games I HAVE played recently on actual PS2 and XBox1 hardware. (And the emulation of said effect may not be perfect on the emulator, too :-P)
IIRC disabling plugins helped the FMVs in... some way. I can't remember what it does, but I know it does something helpful. You should try that.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\