Final Fantasy X Split Second hangs during cutscenes and FMV
Acer laptop
Windows 7
Intel pentium dual core 2.0ghz (mobile intel 4 series chipset family)
directx version11

(I know, my laptop is slow, I'm not talking about slowness here...)
My FFX (PAL) game hangs for a split second everytime some character talks in cutscenes and it also does it more frequently during FMVs. It also happens when I change rooms in game.

The sound and video stops and the fps drops (from 50 to 25 or 20) for a split second during those instances, then returns to normal, then does it again and again.

It's not really a problem, just annoying. It doesn't happen in gameplay unless someone talks in battle.

These hiccups didn't happen when my laptop was Windows Vista (my laptop died on me back in november 2012. when it was fixed it was upgrade to windows 7.). So , I uninstalled my graphics' driver, so the laptop installed a new one from the internet. I did the same with the sound drivers.

Nothing changed. I used other versions of PCSX2 0.9.6 , pcsx2 r5604 , and the pcsx21.0.0. nada.
I used all versions of gsdx plugins, zerogs plugins, turned off all speed hacks. It still does that split second hanging thing.
I thought it was a sound thing so I used "0 - No Sound" setting in spu2x. Nope, still hiccups. still no change when I used zerospu2.

So, I played until I got to Luca, where I bought Movie Spheres (I had to use codebreaker for more gil ... movie spheres are expensive. After I got the gil, I saved, then restarted pcsx2). I played the Blitzball FMV in the theater. It still does that split second hanging thing, but not as I remembered. So I played the same clip again. Then that FMV ran smoothly.

I played the other clips. When the FMVs were played the first time, they hiccup a lot , but when I play them again, they're fine.

o_O I don't get it... what is going on?

Help would be appreciated.

Sponsored links

What speedhacks are you using?
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-19-2013, 04:11 PM)Dante3hs Wrote: What speedhacks are you using?

Under the speedhacks, I checked "Enable INTC spin detection" "enable wait loop detection" and "mvu flag hack".

cutscenes and FMVs hiccups whether or not I Enable Speedhacks.
Does your emu log say anything during these hiccups?

Also is it just the visuals, sound or both that are affected?
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-19-2013, 04:35 PM)Dante3hs Wrote: Does your emu log say anything during these hiccups?

Also is it just the visuals, sound or both that are affected?

1. nothing wrong with the Emu log.

2. Visual and sound i guess. It's kind of like when you pause a video then hit play again. In an FMV, both video and sound stops (or pauses), at that same moment the fps drops from 50 to 27 or 25 for a split second then 50 and resumes, then does it again and again. Same thing with ingame cutscenes when someone talks.

The weird thing is when I watch those fmvs in Luca after buying them. It hiccups the first time, then if I play the same fmv again, it plays smoothly.

I'm just curious as to what's causing this. I play this for the story, like re-reading a book, y'know. But gameplay is OK.
Playing from ISO or Disc? Cuase I can understand this happening with the disc
Final Fantasy X has issues with hardware mode in the cutscenes, there is a hack to automatically put it on Software mode graphics. So, or this hack is already active (what explain the loss of performance) or you are attempting running it in hardware mode, what is broken.

Whatever, the final result is the performance suffers a hit anyway. Despite being one the less demanding games otherwise, it still will be a heavy load for that CPU. You didn't mention using EE cyclerate and VU cycle stealing, these are the hacks which could help more.

Well, but then you are using an ancient version of the emulator's also and most people don't remember how it works anymore, and no support is granted to them anymore.
Imagination is where we are truly real
That's with Final Fantasy X-2 Ken. FFX works quite normal with their FMVs Smile
Split second slow downs are typical with FFX, especially with Demi and Fire, and sometimes at random. At least you are able to run FFX reliably for the most part.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

(04-19-2013, 10:48 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: That's with Final Fantasy X-2 Ken. FFX works quite normal with their FMVs Smile

Oh my, that's true, my bad, something in this thread is making me thinking awkward Smile Edit: actually was in another thread I seemed totally out... so seems is the day as a whole... or I'm just starting to feel the age Laugh
Imagination is where we are truly real