Final Fantasy X optimal settings?
Hello. Just a PCSX2 looking for an optimal experience in Final Fantasy X. I've recently started playing the game on PCSX2, beated the first few bosses,
but i'd like to get the best experience possible using a somewhat weak PC (For the task at least).
I use a pre-built PC, the HP Pavilion 500-164.

System specs are:

CPU: AMD A8 6500 3.5 GHz (4.1 GHz Turbo Boost)
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600MHz
GPU: Integrated Graphics (Radeon HD 8570d)
Storage: 2TB HD

Okay, now an explanation of what i'm seeking with some help:
I'm looking for a good balance of graphics and frame rate, i've done some experimenting beforehand,
such as lowering EE Cyclerate/VU Cycle Stealing and messing with clamping modes, all that stuff.

What I got was a underwhelming result. PCSX2 reads 60.00 FPS/100% Speed, but even then, there's slowdown ingame. 
(To about exactly 20FPS in-battle and some cutscenes. Other cutscenes and overworlds look to have frameskipping to maintain speed, even during FPS drops)

Can anyone help me get the best mix of graphics and game speed? I.E: What a safe EE Cyclerate would be, custom resolution setting, ETC.
Thanks, and I look forward to any responses.

Sponsored links

Well from the last time I played FFX Demi would murder FPS during the intro battles. Few other battle effects would slow it down as well. Default setting should be fine if you can get passed the rare slowdowns. Your CPU is a tad weaker then my 8350 was back then.
IF someone else has better suggestions please inform him Smile
MOBO - GIGABYTE X570 AORUS MASTER
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT
RAM - 32 Gigs DDR4
HDD - To many to note. NVEM, SSD and HDD
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1070
OS- Windows 10

(11-14-2016, 07:52 AM)JobeStroud Wrote: Well from the last time I played FFX Demi would murder FPS during the intro battles. Few other battle effects would slow it down as well. Default   setting should be fine if you can get passed the rare slowdowns. Your CPU is a tad weaker then my 8350 was back then.
IF someone else has better suggestions please inform him Smile

I might try default settings, but I doubt I can get a max 30FPS with EE/VU Cyclerate in their default posistions,
as well as GSDX's default resolution of 1024x1024 (I think).

I'm hoping I can get more responses, preferribly from PCSX2 experts.
as long as you don't push internal res higher than 2x native, you should be good to go without speedhacks since FFX is quite easy to emulate.

Just as Jobestroud said, demi spell and ifrit's overdrive will make your GPU having a hard time.
but that CPU should be enough for FFX
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(11-14-2016, 05:07 PM)jesalvein Wrote: as long as you don't push internal res higher than 2x native, you should be good to go without speedhacks since FFX is quite easy to emulate.

Just as Jobestroud said, demi spell and ifrit's overdrive will make your GPU having a hard time.
but that CPU should be enough for FFX

The settings i'm currently using are:

GSDX:
Direct3D 11 Hardware mode
Internal resolution: Custom (960x540)
Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2)
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x (I've never had FPS drops at all bumping this up all the way in Dolphin emulator, so might as well)
CRC Hack level: Aggressive
No HW Hacks or shaders

Emulation speedhacks:
EE Cyclerate: 75%
Maximum VU Cycle Stealing
MTVU enabled
fast CDVD (Don't know how it's NOT recommended, it gives huge load time speedups for me from what i've seen)

This setup gives me 100% Speed according to the main PCSX2 Window, but again, slowdown is present during battles and some cutscenes (20FPS exactly, even if saying 100% Speed/60FPS),
and frameskipping in other cutscenes and overworlds. Music and sound effects don't slow down though, so what's going on?
(11-14-2016, 06:58 PM)ShootingStar Wrote: The settings i'm currently using are:

GSDX:
Internal resolution: Custom (960x540)
try using native multipliers instead of custom res
Quote:Anisotropic Filtering: 16x (I've never had FPS drops at all bumping this up all the way in Dolphin emulator, so might as well)
I hope you understand that comparing PS2 emulation & Gamecube/Wii emulation is ridiculous...
So, no, given your GPU, it's a bad idea to set it to 16x
Quote:Emulation speedhacks:
EE Cyclerate: 75%
Maximum VU Cycle Stealing
bad idea... expect crashes & slowdowns.
Quote:fast CDVD (Don't know how it's NOT recommended, it gives huge load time speedups for me from what i've seen)
because it can cause crashes

Quote:This setup gives me 100% Speed according to the main PCSX2 Window, but again, slowdown is present during battles and some cutscenes (20FPS exactly, even if saying 100% Speed/60FPS),
because speedhacks (especially VU cycle stealing) tend to fake fps counter...
Quote:and frameskipping in other cutscenes and overworlds. Music and sound effects don't slow down though, so what's going on?
because you tried to "compensate" VU cycle stealing with frame skipping...
(11-14-2016, 08:13 PM)jesalvein Wrote: try using native multipliers instead of custom res
I hope you understand that comparing PS2 emulation & Gamecube/Wii emulation is ridiculous...
So, no, given your GPU, it's a bad idea to set it to 16x
bad idea... expect crashes & slowdowns.
because it can cause crashes

because speedhacks (especially VU cycle stealing) tend to fake fps counter...
because you tried to "compensate" VU cycle stealing with frame skipping...

I did not enable frameskipping. That is completely untouched.
It's not the frame skip feature you're thinking of that's in PCSX2, it's ingame caused by VU Cycle Stealing/EE Cyclerate I think.

That also seemed like kind of a harsh response..
(11-14-2016, 09:52 PM)ShootingStar Wrote: I did not enable frameskipping. That is completely untouched.
It's not the frame skip feature you're thinking of that's in PCSX2, it's ingame caused by VU Cycle Stealing/EE Cyclerate I think.
Still.
My best advice would be to erase your ini files and restart configuring from scratch. default settings will probably give you better results than now

Quote:That also seemed like kind of a harsh response..

this :
Quote:I'm hoping I can get more responses, preferribly from PCSX2 experts.
is a bit harsh towards a respected helpful and skillful member like Jobestroud...
Sheesh.. sorry sorry, okay? I'll go edit my settings now ~_~