Final Fantasy X running extremely slowly on [email protected]?
Sounds like a bad PC setup...my best bet would be a bad overclock. Try turning that E8400 down to stock speeds and volts,speed should be more than 60 fps even at 3 ghz. My guess is that it is a bad overclock in need of more voltage or some speedstep program messing with the processor's speed (or overheating)
[Image: newsig.jpg]

Sponsored links

Well, we tried it before overclocking too, and it was if anything slightly worse than it is now. I'll try setting everything back to stock for subsequent tests, though. So far everything's seemed quite stable under Prime95 stress testing; I still need to run memtest to make sure everything's working, but so far there have been no signs of other problems.

I'll try installing Vista on his machine in a bit just to eliminate that possibility, and if that doesn't miraculously fix things, I'll try swapping video cards.
Oh also,make sure DirectX is updated by running the updater:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?prd=11234&pver=Latest+DX+Web&plcid=0x409

Sometimes the plugin works with an older DX but way slower,so do that too
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(03-14-2009, 03:55 AM)Mr. Accident Wrote: I'll try installing Vista on his machine in a bit just to eliminate that possibility, and if that doesn't miraculously fix things, I'll try swapping video cards.

You find installing vista easier and _faster_ process than swapping video...? Smile))))
Not that hard to install vista nor swap a graphics card neither.
q6600 OC @ 3.3Ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, nvidia gtx 260, 2x 1 tb hard disk
(03-14-2009, 05:14 AM)coud Wrote: Not that hard to install vista nor swap a graphics card neither.

Most important comment, ever LaughD
Smile 
THE PROBLEM ARE ON VIDEOCARD GEFORCE 7XXX AND GTX 2XXX.
VIDEOCARD HAS BIG PART ON PCSX, SAME ME WHEN I USED GFORCE 8500 I GOT FINAL FANTASY X-2 ABOUT 12-20 FPS AFTER I UPGRADE TO GFORCE 9600GT I GOT 40-60 FPS. THATS ALL, EVEN U HAVE GREAT PROCESSOR IF YOUR VGA CARD JERK THAN U CAN'T GET BETTER FPS SO HAVE GOOD PROCESSOR AND VIDEOCARD.
THAT'S ALL.

(03-13-2009, 09:19 PM)Mr. Accident Wrote: Well, I'm having a speed issue that seems a little strange to me.

My brother is trying to run Final Fantasy X using PCSX2 0.9.6 on his machine, but it runs very, very slowly. During the intro scene in Zanarkand the framerate plummets to around 20 or 30fps, and it's only slightly better during gameplay.

Here are his specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
GFX: EVGA 7950GX2

Now, what makes this seems strange is the fact that on my machine, which aside from the video card is nearly identical in specs, I'm able to run it at several times that speed. During the FFX intro, I'm able to run it at 80-100fps (with the limiter turned off), and only at a couple of points does it drop below 70fps. I'm able to play the entire game at 100% full speed; if I turn the limiter off it generally runs anywhere from 130% to 350% depending on what it's doing (130% in very large areas with low camera angles; 200% almost everywhere; 350% in the menus Tongue)

These are my specs:

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.6GHz
RAM: 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1000
GFX: EVGA Geforce GTX 280

I know my graphics card is much, much more powerful than his, but I wouldn't have thought that a 7950GX2 would be in any way deficient for PCSX2's graphical demands.

Anyway, to make sure I wasn't comparing apples to oranges, I made sure we were using exactly the same configuration. Here's how we have PCSX2 set up:

Graphics: GSdxz 890 (MSVC 15.00, SSE3) 0.1.14
   Windowed
   Direct3D9 (Hardware)
   Pixel Shader 2.0
   Aspect Ratio 16:9
   D3D internal res 1024 x 1024
   (all other options default)

Sound: P.E.Op.S. SPU2 1.9.0
   Interpolation: Cubic

CD/DVDROM: Linuz ISO CDVD 0.8.0

All other options default: No speedhacks enabled.

So, does anyone have any idea what's causing the massive slowdown he's experiencing? I mean, the only thing I can think of is that it's his video card; but despite being a few generations old, the 7950GX2 is no slouch; it can run new games like HL2:Ep2 quite smoothly at full settings. Why would it cause PCSX2 to take a nosedive in emulation speed? Could it somehow be that PCSX2 just runs faster on Windows Vista for some reason? Glare

Anyway, any help or input would be greatly appreciated!
(03-14-2009, 05:10 AM)Cain Wrote: You find installing vista easier and _faster_ process than swapping video...? Smile))))

Laugh

Heh, well, I figured I'd try that first, since if I tried swapping cards first, there's a chance that Windows XP would demand to be reactivated. We just activated that one yesterday, so I figured it would be better to not take the chance of their stupid automated reactivation system deciding we were trying to install on multiple machines or something like that.

Anyway, as I expected, installing Vista did nothing to help. I guess I'll be trying the card swap anyway. (The upside of doing the quick Vista install being that I can now test the swap on Vista only, without having to worry about deactivating the existing XP installation.)

uncuing: are you sure about that? The "Will PCSX2 run fast on my computer?" thread seems to indicate that most cards higher than a Geforce 6600 should give good performance, and a 7950GX2 certainly beats the pants off of a 6600...

Ah well. If plopping my GTX 280 into his case gives it the same level of performance achieved by mine, I guess that would indicate that an upgrade is in order. At least it looks like 9800GTs are cheap right now. Tongue
(03-14-2009, 07:00 AM)uncuing Wrote: THE PROBLEM ARE ON VIDEOCARD GEFORCE 7XXX

no. I'm running pcsx2 on 7800GT (weaker then his GPU) and its working just fine as long as i dont set internal resoution in gsdx too high (1024x1024 works in every game).

there shoudnt be anything wrong with your hardware setup. Run a benchmark, like 3dmark06, and compare your results with similair hardware. If your values are off, you will know which part doesnt perform as it should.
Quote:Ah well. If plopping my GTX 280 into his case gives it the same level of performance achieved by mine, I guess that would indicate that an upgrade is in order. At least it looks like 9800GTs are cheap right now.
You would do that to run a PS2 emulator? You could probably buy a PS2 twice over.