Final Fantasy X slow downs
Hi. I have have intel i7-7500u Kaby Lake 620. I am running PCSX2 1.5.0-0.  Final Fantasy X seems to work fine but when spells are cast or different activities happen there is big slow downs. I was wondering if someone could help me figure out if I can get this game to work at full speed 99% of the time -- instead of 65% of the time.

Sponsored links

what is your GPU ?
did you push internal res up ?
are your slowdowns during demi spell & ifrit's overdrive ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(05-17-2019, 04:06 PM)jesalvein Wrote: what is your GPU ?
did you push internal res up ?
are your slowdowns during demi spell & ifrit's overdrive ?

GPU is Kaby Lake HD 620. Slow downs happen during demi spell yes. I haven't tested as far as Ifrit in this latest series of tests but in the past it has slowed down then too. There is misc other places it has slowed down for me as well. I haven't messed with internel res at all.. I think its default is 480 by 640.. if I'm understanding the GSdx.ini file correctly. I don't see where I would determine that in the pcsx2 config gui. I've tried all kinds of settings from pure default to speed hacks etc and it just seems to crawl in speed during certain times / activities (like for example when demi spell is cast).
Intel integrated GPUs are not suitable for graphic intense applications and therefore shouldn't be used for gaming in general. I don't think you'll get it to run at 100%.

If you watch the different resource usages from PCSX2 like EE, VU, GS (Check your window title bar while running a game), what numbers do you see there? Pretty sure your GS (= Graphics) is limiting, means it's (almost) on 100% most of the time.

Maybe you can also try to increase performance in Config->Emulation Settings and select another preset.
Tired of always changing your PCSX2 Configuration for different games?

Check this out: https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-MultiConfigTool
(05-17-2019, 05:11 PM)XXXBold Wrote: Intel integrated GPUs are not suitable for graphic intense applications and therefore shouldn't be used for gaming in general. I don't think you'll get it to run at 100%.

If you watch the different resource usages from PCSX2 like EE, VU, GS (Check your window title bar while running a game), what numbers do you see there? Pretty sure your GS (= Graphics) is limiting, means it's (almost) on 100% most of the time.

Maybe you can also try to increase performance in Config->Emulation Settings and select another preset.

I used intel_gpu_top to monitor the gpu usage and its at about 35-36% during most times. However when demi is cast it jumps between 36% to 96% and a few other places in between.
There you go. What about EE, VU if your FPS drops?

(05-17-2019, 05:23 PM)XXXBold Wrote: There you go. What about EE, VU if your FPS drops?

I don't know how to see some of those values. I see FPS drop from 60 to 40 and a few other scattered places... I think it spikes as high as 69 for less then a second. However before demi cast it stays at 60 FPS.
(05-17-2019, 05:33 PM)khronosschoty Wrote: I don't know how to see some of those values. I see FPS drop from 60 to 40 and a few other scattered places... I think it spikes as high as 69 for less then a second. However before demi cast it stays at 60 FPS.

If your game is running, make sure it's not in fullscreen (so you can see the window title bar), the values are shown there. (See attachment)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(05-17-2019, 05:38 PM)XXXBold Wrote: If your game is running, make sure it's not in fullscreen (so you can see the window title bar), the values are shown there. (See attachment)

I can see some of those values in the title window but not all of them (can't see the values for EE and VU). The only values I see is speed and FPS and Limiter currently reads as normal and then there is GSDx OGL HW up there as well.
Your integrated GPU is struggling with ogl renderer. Unfortunately, you won't have any other with Linux...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go