Final Fantasy XII on a Pentium 4 - Playable.
(08-02-2010, 07:30 PM)diegochiha Wrote: i think that saiki says that we know you made that game run full speed on a pentium 4 ,but stop posting about it in every thread you go , you know that is spamming and you can get a warning for that

yea, more or less. thanks

Sponsored links

Once again, I'll restate my point like everyone else has:

If I were to intentionally spam, I would have been very successful until I got b& by Jesalvein or some other administrator or moderator.

Bositman wouldn't put up with it either.

That is in layman's terms for you, and just to let you know I probably won't be posting so much anymore... so there is little likelihood of a 3rd warning and my posts will all be available via Google (Or Google Cache, if my posts magically got removed).

Simple? The above is just a straight up run-through of an actual worst-case scenario.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
Bosit seems to be colling off now-a-days, you really should count your blessings
What I learned most from these forums though was the various performances of different hardware on different games.

It's quite variable, and so I've decided to try to get a decently overclockable C2D. Would cache make a big difference?

I could overvolt it though... but I cannot exceed 1.4v for this P4, D:

With this cooler it could be too much for that so like.. I don't like electromigration. Sad It usually only happens with too much heat and if you have more voltage then cooler temperatures are needed to prevent damage...

I still wish I could OC my N64 to 3x for Goldeneye 007 Laugh lolol (Motherboard and CPU voltage changing for the faster core and bus frequencies..) [unfortunately the game plays a bit fast but it's very smooth and not choppy like it sometimes is on the console]
It would get really hot then, but I'll put in some really cool air and it'll be fine because other people just used a case fan.
CPU: Pentium D 'Presler' 915 2.8 ghz 2x2MB L2 @ 3.5 ghz
GPU: eVGA [Nvidia] 8600GT 256MB SSC DDR3
Tested: FFX, FFX-2, FFXII, MGS3, KH, KH2, The Hobbit NTSC
PCSX2 FTW! Biggrin
If you want to test out your cpu, you should play further in FF12 and see if you can get playable speed in some bigger areas or areas with more characters. Playing only the first area is kind of hard to tell if your cpu can really achieve a playable speed.

FYI, I can get roughly 130-150 fps in the same place you tested your game without speed hacks.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
@CKL
His experiments are useful, they are "walk the tightrope" kind but it's what makes them useful Smile The mechanics behind it is combining higher than normal FPS with low output from VU stealing and (I'm just speculating now) maybe the monocore CPU plays it's own part in keeping things a bit less erratic... but it's almost the only thing that could give playability in such rig.

@DangerousD
On the other hand that is a setup that should be attempt only when everything else failed for a bit more powerful machines, because the erratic nature is not hindering and does not harms that much games like FF and RPGs in general, but would be a nightmare in games where timed responses and precision are requisite. Or make things more interesting for those that love challenges and "impossible mission", who knows? ... keep going Smile

In some situations what could reduce orverall performance may help this setup of yours, like the clamping or the rounding modes. loose FPS control or above the nominal frame limiter, there is a vast field for experimentation there, indeed.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(08-03-2010, 03:56 AM)Dangerousd777 Wrote: What I learned most from these forums though was the various performances of different hardware on different games.

It's quite variable, and so I've decided to try to get a decently overclockable C2D. Would cache make a big difference?

I could overvolt it though... but I cannot exceed 1.4v for this P4, D:

With this cooler it could be too much for that so like.. I don't like electromigration. Sad It usually only happens with too much heat and if you have more voltage then cooler temperatures are needed to prevent damage...

I still wish I could OC my N64 to 3x for Goldeneye 007 Laugh lolol (Motherboard and CPU voltage changing for the faster core and bus frequencies..) [unfortunately the game plays a bit fast but it's very smooth and not choppy like it sometimes is on the console]
It would get really hot then, but I'll put in some really cool air and it'll be fine because other people just used a case fan.

if you want a good overclockble processor id go with an amd.
but since you have an intel mobo either get a 2.4ghz core2duo or a decent i3

should be cool anyway