First 60 FPS video and some website news
(11-04-2014, 11:27 PM)rama Wrote: Widescreen patches mess with games quite heavily and for that reason, they should not be enabled by default

Can you please clarify this a little more?

What do you mean by "mess with games quite heavily" as if it's a bad thing?
It's not like widescreen will break an entire level of the game, or make it freeze more. That's never happened to me.

Sometimes, all it does is change one memory value from 1 to .75. They aren't buggy or unstable or anything.

Sponsored links

(11-04-2014, 11:27 PM)rama Wrote: I agree they can be made more visible (somehow, ideas?)

Add the option to the GS Window page.
(11-05-2014, 09:04 AM)Devina Wrote: Can you please clarify this a little more?

What do you mean by "mess with games quite heavily" as if it's a bad thing?
It's not like widescreen will break an entire level of the game, or make it freeze more. That's never happened to me.

Sometimes, all it does is change one memory value from 1 to .75. They aren't buggy or unstable or anything.

These patches change the intended view port. Results of that can include showing infinished geometry, showing clipped or untextured geometry, breaking/changing code that reads back the current view port, etc.
That last part includes that many games now realize they need to render more content. This might be limited to the GS (and thus would be harmless for PCSX2, as our GS has nearly no timing) but it can definitely trickly down to the VUs and EE.

In short: These patches *change what a game does and how it looks. This is the intention, I know, but it is not good default behaviour.
And yes, defaulting to 2x upscaling or whatever in GSdx is bad as well. I realize that Smile
As a follow up to this. A fix to this all would be an extra page in Configuration that acts as a simple setup.
It would set all default options and additionally offer to "enhance games with widescreen patches", "upscale graphics", etc.
This new page should then be made the only one visible by default, with a tickbox to "unlock advanced settings".
That way we would fix a lot of issues in one swipe Smile
(11-05-2014, 03:10 PM)rama Wrote: These patches change the intended view port. Results of that can include showing infinished geometry, showing clipped or untextured geometry, breaking/changing code that reads back the current view port, etc.
That last part includes that many games now realize they need to render more content. This might be limited to the GS (and thus would be harmless for PCSX2, as our GS has nearly no timing) but it can definitely trickly down to the VUs and EE.

In short: These patches *change what a game does and how it looks. This is the intention, I know, but it is not good default behaviour.
And yes, defaulting to 2x upscaling or whatever in GSdx is bad as well. I realize that Smile

I actually noticed this on Dolphin Emulator with Resident Evil Remake. If you enabled a widescreen hack it would make your character (a texture basically) look like normal, but the backgrounds are prerendered in that game, so it resulted in you being misplaced basically. If you had to open a door you had to stand a bit to the left of the door, because things weren't aligned correctly.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
(11-05-2014, 03:13 PM)rama Wrote: As a follow up to this. A fix to this all would be an extra page in Configuration that acts as a simple setup.
It would set all default options and additionally offer to "enhance games with widescreen patches", "upscale graphics", etc.
This new page should then be made the only one visible by default, with a tickbox to "unlock advanced settings".
That way we would fix a lot of issues in one swipe Smile

Yeah, it could be a new tab in config. Maybe call it "Enhancements" or something. There could be several presets that affect things like upscaling, anisotropy, MSAA, etc. The simple version could have like PC style quality settings, example settings(in a drop down box, parenthesis is what it actually does):

PS2/default (default settings, native res, etc)
Medium (2x res, 4x anisotropic, WS patches, default texture filtering)
High (3x res, 16x anisotropic, WS patches, full texture filtering)
High+ (same as High, + GSdx FX enabled)
Ultra (4x res, 16x anisotropic, WS patches, 4x MSAA, full texture filtering)
Ultra+ (Same as ultra, plus GSdx FX enabled)

Or something like that. Then we could have an advanced settings tick box to expose all of those settings in one place, for manually changing.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
(11-05-2014, 03:10 PM)rama Wrote: Results of that can include showing infinished geometry

You're right, but patches DO have render fixes.
99% of the patches in the archive are not affected by this issue.

(11-05-2014, 03:10 PM)rama Wrote: breaking/changing code that reads back the current view port, etc.
How is this an issue?

(11-05-2014, 03:10 PM)rama Wrote: That last part includes that many games now realize they need to render more content. This might be limited to the GS (and thus would be harmless for PCSX2, as our GS has nearly no timing) but it can definitely trickly down to the VUs and EE.

In my experience, widescreen patches have never had negative effects on performance.
Performance is the same, widescreen or not.

I think you're just generalizing without much experience. If you can name specific games that need render fixes, or are broken by the widescreen patches (that aren't WIP), or have negative performance impacts, you should tell me.

(11-05-2014, 03:16 PM)xRyudo Wrote: I actually noticed this on Dolphin Emulator with Resident Evil Remake. If you enabled a widescreen hack it would make your character (a texture basically) look like normal, but the backgrounds are prerendered in that game, so it resulted in you being misplaced basically. If you had to open a door you had to stand a bit to the left of the door, because things weren't aligned correctly.

PS2 widescreen patches aren't for games with pre-rendered backgrounds like Glass Rose and Shadow Hearts 1.
If there is a game like this with 3D environments (e.g. entering an inn in Final Fantasy X or X-2, it's simply stretched).
This thread is for site and forum suggestions. Not for program discussion.
Sorry. Blush

FWIW, I like the new logo over the current one.

I didn't realize it was the current one, but not tilted.

We should make this consistent, right?
I DID tell you the url is private right? Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]