First time using PCSX2
Hello. I'm running Debian Wheezy 32-bit on an E8400 and a GTX550. I've downloaded the latest Linux binary from the site, 1.2.2, and I think I have everything setup correctly. I don't get any errors when I run PCSX2 in the terminal at least. Here are the plugins I'm using:

GSdx (GCC 4.8.2, SSE2) 0.1.16 [libGSdx-0.1.16]
OnePAD r0-Dev 1.1.0 [libonepad-1.1.0]
SPU2-X 2.0.0 [libspu2x-2.0.0]
EFP polling CDVD Driver 0.4.0 [libCDVDlinuz]
USBnull Driver r0 0.7.0 [libUSBnull-0.7.0]
FWnull Driver r0 0.7.0 [libFWnull-0.7.0]
DEV9null Driver r0 0.5.0 [libdev9null-0.5.0]

The problem I have is that I can't get Tekken Tag to run at a playable speed. It's usually around 20 FPS. I've tried the speedhack sliders, and they work as expected. It will run a little faster, but parts of the characters will disappear, etc... The recommended hardware page says that a [email protected] should be fine for the emulator. E8400 stock speed is 3.0GHz, so I'll see if overclocking will help, but I just thought I would ask here to see if the performance I'm getting is normal. From my experiences with Dolphin, I know that the hardware requirements go up as the emulator gets more accurate. Would I get better performance with an older version of PCSX2? If so, what's the oldest version that will run Tekken Tag properly?

Also, will the performance be better in Windows? I would prefer to use Debian, but I'm not opposed to installing XP if it will allow Tekken to run full speed.

Sponsored links

Perf depends on game. Windows might be faster but not sure you can run this game at full speed. Did you select the hardware renderer in GSdx? Could you check which thread is busy in the "top" bar.
Are you using the Nvidia proprietary driver? I would recommend it.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

The GS plugin is set to OpenGL (Hardware), and I am using the Nvidia driver, version 304.117. It's the one packaged for Debian, and a little out of date. I can download the newest version if you think it will help. I usually avoid using the Nvidia installer since it requires reinstalling every time there's a kernel update, but this machine will be going inside an arcade cabinet, never to be updated again after it's setup. Switching the internal resolution higher than native gives me black vertical lines on the screen. Is this a driver problem? In the top bar, I have the following:

FPS: 20-30
EE: 99-100%
GS: 30-80% (usually around 50%)
UI: 0-1%

This means the CPU is struggling to keep up, right?
try buying the PAL version of the game, and make sure you arent using automatic game fixes or manual fixes. set ee-cyclerate to 2 and see how you do, if the emotion engine reduces and you gain some speed.
Specifications:

AMD Sempron 3850 @ 1.3GHz
Zotac Geforce GT 640 2GB
4GB RAM
Kubuntu Linux 14.10 STS
I tried running Tekken with the E8400 at 3.6 GHz today and got 35-45 FPS. Moving the ee-cyclerate slider up got me to 50 FPS at times, and with fewer glitches than before. I guess I could run the PAL version faster since 50 FPS would be full speed with it. I'm still wondering if an older version would be faster, and I would appreciate any recommendations for a version to try.
Well, I tried PCSX2 1.0 and got flickering characters with bulging eyes fighting at 10 FPS. 0.9.8 didn't have the GSDX plugin. It's pretty amazing how far the Linux version has come in the last few releases. I saw that you are the only Linux developer, Gregory. Great work!

It looks like Tekken Tag in the arcade cabinet will have to wait until I have some newer hardware to put in it. From what I've read, I wouldn't see very much improvement if I were to use the Windows version. Is that right?
As you saw, better run the latest version on linux Smile

EE thread is busy, so perf will probably be similar on windows. The EE core is mostly cross platform. Maybe you can try the MTVU speed hack but I never test it on linux.
The high EE shows a struggling cpu. Your performance is pretty good despite the old Intel technology you are using.
OS: Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit (occasional Antergos/Arch user)
(I am no longer a Windows user)
CPU: Intel Pentium G3258
GPU: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti

high ee?struggling cpu? i run dbz budokai 3 at full speed on the europian and 80% ee. How do I optimize my APU to run at same speed but not stress so hard on pcsx2. even though my cpu tempature doesnt go above 40 out of the 4 games i play.
Specifications:

AMD Sempron 3850 @ 1.3GHz
Zotac Geforce GT 640 2GB
4GB RAM
Kubuntu Linux 14.10 STS