Poll: Want to be able to scale up (or down) the FOV for different Aspects to have real widescreen support?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
85.71%
6 85.71%
No
14.29%
1 14.29%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Forcing Games to Render in Different Aspect Ratios
I, like many others, have Eyefinity / nVidia Surround / TH2Go / SoftTH Setups with multiple monitors to game on. One of the things I like doing is playing games at extreme aspect ratios that console could not do.

Emulators such as NullDC, Project 64, and Dolphin can render games at wide screen aspect ratios just fine (with the right setting). We need to be able to change the FOV in games. That would be a benefit for everyone. There are plenty of 4:3 only games on the ps2.

Here's what I'm talking about:

4:3 (actually it's slightly wider, but for all intensive purposes)
[Image: HcBKP.jpg]

48:10
[Image: Coh1V.jpg]

Please note, that even though it's wider, it doesn't stretch but merely renders more on each side.

NullDC / Dolphin
Project 64 (Compatible Games List) (Setup Videos) (Demonstrations)

Sponsored links

I, too, am a surround gamer. Allowing the emulator to force aspect ratios is a wonderful thing, not only for us people who use dual and triple monitors, but it's fantastic for displays that might possibly be coming out in the future with aspect ratios of 21:9 or wider.

As Suiken said, you don't lose any of the picture. You, in fact, gain more on the left and right. I know many PS2 games are 4:3, and forcing aspect ratio would be an easy way to make them work on all monitors of all aspect ratios (16:10, for example).

Most of the 3D emulators out there support aspect forcing through widescreen hacks and extra geometry modes. I figure if the others can do it, how hard can it be to allow it in PCSX2?
Game would need reprograming.
(01-22-2011, 03:12 PM)Game Wrote: Game would need reprograming.

Not really, that would only be true for 2D games (How else has the other emulators gotten it to work). All you have to do is find the values in memory and change them.
which is different for every game. it's alot of work for the team, and they MIGHT do it after they get pcsx2 completely done, but before that I wouldn't count on it
But doesn't almost every game have to be configured to work anyways? There's not just one cure-all that makes all games work perfect, obviously.

However, I believe in the other emulators it's just a single button click, not a per-game basis. Maybe all the games keep that information in the same spot, or it's done in another way besides changing values in memory?
it does NOT work that nice as some aree trying to present
and as Saiki said its different for every game.For some 2D it works Sometimes! but when u take some really 3D game so called "widescreen hack" is just screwing the game!
how?
graphic becomes distorted by making character in game levitating from the ground!and other anomalies.
That widescreen thing is nothing more but hack as it actually has in its name.
Someone tried doing a mod for GSdx with this before but the results were horrible.
In dolphin you get games that look great with the hack and some that just get broken graphics after the original aspect ratio because the game is not rendering much outside the intended output area, but with the GSdx hack it was most games like that (not rendering much outside and bad results) because the PS2 was more limited to begin with for the developers to work with or something like that. The guy gave up with the hack since most of his games had horrible results that couldn't be fixed since the games were made like that. Think it was ngemu were the guy posted about it, was some time ago already.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(01-23-2011, 09:49 AM)LeonHikari Wrote: But doesn't almost every game have to be configured to work anyways? There's not just one cure-all that makes all games work perfect, obviously.

most games will run without fixes/speedhacks etc. there are a few that need it yes, but not many.
(01-23-2011, 03:22 PM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Someone tried doing a mod for GSdx with this before but the results were horrible.
In dolphin you get games that look great with the hack and some that just get broken graphics after the original aspect ratio because the game is not rendering much outside the intended output area, but with the GSdx hack it was most games like that (not rendering much outside and bad results) because the PS2 was more limited to begin with for the developers to work with or something like that. The guy gave up with the hack since most of his games had horrible results that couldn't be fixed since the games were made like that. Think it was ngemu were the guy posted about it, was some time ago already.

Well i can see that as the PS2 was not a powerful machine. It was the least powerful out of the last generation consoles.

I also did a search, it seems that there were patches made for 16:10 and 16:9 for FFX. I haven't seen any other real work though.