Frame skip?
What's the point of frame skip if it doesn't work right? I've tried 4 of my games so far and frame skip just runs horrifyingly choppy. It's better to just accept the 80% speed or so...

Unless I'm not doing it right...?

Sponsored links

The option frame skin, as the name says itself, skip some frames ingame.
So if you have nearly full FPS try frameskip, sometimes it seems to be a bit choppy but the game runs with 100% most times.
Maybe u should post a list which games you tried and your pc specs.
[Image: 26293342.gif]
So far I've tried FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil Code Veronica, and FFXII...all but FFXII runs at full speed nearly the time. FFXII runs at 70-80 percent speed on average.

I have a 9800 GTX+, AMD 64 X2 5000+(2.61Ghz...I'm not overclocking), 2 gigs of RAM, 500 watt power supply.
-----
Yeah, I know frame skip is meant to skip frames...but I'm wondering if it's actually useful. Ha...a "bit" choppy...it's horrible.

There is no case where frame skip is the better option. I've played some emulators on PSP and frameskip does what it's supposed to. It puts the game in it's intended speed while the animation is less smooth. In PCSX2, either the 3d models flicker or the animation is terribly jerky and the camera movement is even worse.("cameraman" looks like he's having a seizure) I've tried both frameskip modes.
(03-03-2009, 09:45 PM)PuN1sH3R Wrote: So far I've tried FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil Code Veronica, and FFXII...all but FFXII runs at full speed nearly the time. FFXII runs at 70-80 percent speed on average.

I have a 9800 GTX+, AMD 64 X2 5000+(2.61Ghz...I'm not overclocking), 2 gigs of RAM, 500 watt power supply.
-----
Yeah, I know frame skip is meant to skip frames...but I'm wondering if it's actually useful. Ha...a "bit" choppy...it's horrible.

There is no case where frame skip is the better option. I've played some emulators on PSP and frameskip does what it's supposed to. It puts the game in it's intended speed while the animation is less smooth. In PCSX2, either the 3d models flicker or the animation is terribly jerky and the camera movement is even worse.("cameraman" looks like he's having a seizure) I've tried both frameskip modes.

See, the thing is, if your game is already fast, frame skip will make the screen flicker. If your game is running at 60% or lesser speed, then only it will help you gain better fps. For example, on my 2.3ghz cpu I get only 25 to 30 fps in tekken5, which is a very demanding game. but when I use the custom VU skip I get 40fps on tekken5 pal.
try to disable the frame skip and enable the speed hacks to 2x or 3x
the right config for a pcsx2 is all about messing around with every option untill it works how you want to xD
everytime i try a new game in pcsx2 i do just the same and write down the best config and stick the paper on the cover of the game
(03-03-2009, 09:45 PM)PuN1sH3R Wrote: There is no case where frame skip is the better option. I've played some emulators on PSP and frameskip does what it's supposed to. It puts the game in it's intended speed while the animation is less smooth. In PCSX2, either the 3d models flicker or the animation is terribly jerky and the camera movement is even worse.("cameraman" looks like he's having a seizure) I've tried both frameskip modes.

Frameskip on the PS2 is a problem by design of the console.
We can't do magic and fix this. The other emulators have it easier in this regard.

So, back to your initial question.
If you don't want to use the frameskip feature, then don't! It's there for the games it works ok with. For the other games you need a better pc.
redlof Wrote:See, the thing is, if your game is already fast, frame skip will make the screen flicker. If your game is running at 60% or lesser speed, then only it will help you gain better fps. For example, on my 2.3ghz cpu I get only 25 to 30 fps in tekken5, which is a very demanding game. but when I use the custom VU skip I get 40fps on tekken5 pal.
The frame skip was no help in the 40fps parts either.
(03-03-2009, 09:55 PM)xCrashdayx Wrote: try to disable the frame skip and enable the speed hacks to 2x or 3x
the right config for a pcsx2 is all about messing around with every option untill it works how you want to xD
everytime i try a new game in pcsx2 i do just the same and write down the best config and stick the paper on the cover of the game
Oh yeah, I've tried everything for FFXII. 3x helped in FFX in the airship.(that's just about the only slow part of the game)

3x helped ALOT in Devil May Cry 3.(forgot to include this game in the games I've tried)

---
I guess I'll just deal with it. It's not a big deal. 70-80% speed is the average speed for FFXII and 80% is just fine. Any other game was nearly full speed at all times.

(03-03-2009, 10:04 PM)rama Wrote: So, back to your initial question.
If you don't want to use the frameskip feature, then don't! It's there for the games it works ok with. For the other games you need a better pc.
I just haven't seen a game where it worked right, so I was mainly wondering if anybody has frameskip working right.
frameskipping works great for me!
on games like tekken 4 and tekken 5 or the naruto games on ps2
If the Frame Skipping gives so much trouble to some guys they could just tweak the resolutions or as xCrashdayx said:
(03-03-2009, 09:55 PM)xCrashdayx Wrote: the right config for a pcsx2 is all about messing around with every option untill it works how you want to xD