Fraps and pcsx2 recorder
I've been trying to record pcsx2 and using the inbuilt recorder I get serious lag compared to frags which has less performance hit. I want to record through pcsx2 so it is full speed throughout. My specs are okay and should be able to record. Any way to fix this?
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB

Sponsored links

The problem with the internal recorder is that it slams your HDD, which is the biggest reason it runs so slow. If you were recording to an SSD you would probably get a playable 30-40fps.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(08-16-2014, 12:08 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: The problem with the internal recorder is that it slams your HDD, which is the biggest reason it runs so slow. If you were recording to an SSD you would probably get a playable 30-40fps.

So why doesn't fraps lag it as much?. It is writing to the hdd aswell. I get more fps with fraps than pcsx2 which is odd.
System Specs
FRAPS is mostly likely heavily optimized for what it does, and the internal recorder not.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
The internal recorder has to synchronize everything and write a separate sound file (which is synchronized too).
CPU:
Intel Core2 Duo T5450 (1.666 GHz)
[Image: gzztty.png]
GPU:
Mobile Intel® 965 Express Chipset Family (500 MHz)
GPU-Z Validation
Other:
RAM: DDR2-666 (2 GB)
---
Not a gaming PC, but I'll try to get a better one in the future.
Not really. The sync between the separate sound file and video file are handled by the user when they mux. They normally line up because of the fact that they start at the same place and time anyway, though.

In fact, something like FRAPS does the muxing into a container on the fly.

I suspect(but do not know) that GSdx dumps each frame to the disk as it is emulating them, and waits for that frame to be written to disk before proceeding with emulating the next frame. It was not really designed for real time gameplay capture, it was designed to show off PCSX2 capabilities back when the best machine could manage maybe 15 FPS.

FRAPS captures frames to memory buffer and then flushes to disk, so it doesn't have to wait on a slow disk drive.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
If you want to get playable framerates using the internal recorder, you have to use a lightweight compression method. By default, the internal recorder writes uncompressed frames, which are omghuge and your HDD will be your primary bottleneck. (FRAPS encodes on the fly, which is why that doesn't happen there)

Using x264vfw you should be able to maintain a playable framerate while attaining reasonable compression. I'd start out with the ultrafast preset and zero latency checked while setting the rate control to single pass lossless. This is the least space-efficient method, but also the least demanding while preserving the original video quality. See how that works for you and adjust settings to suit your needs.

The benefit of using the internal recorder is that it doesn't matter if you have any hiccups in performance during gameplay, the final video will be just fine.
Thanks eloris. i trried the x264vfw encoder with your settings and it worked like a charm.Biggrin

+1 rep
System Specs
btw when I play at higher res such as 1920x1080 my fps suffers but when I play at 1280x720 the fps is much higher Is my GPU limiting my fps ingame when recording?
System Specs
And is there any more settings I could tune to make the game fps increase. Space is not a issue to me atm
System Specs