Freezing On external HDD
Ninja
So this could be the wrong thread for this?
Its a hardware/game issue I have (move if so needed)

When I play on my actual disc, I get slower load times :'c

But when I use my backed up version, the game completely freezes for me
for like 5 seconds, then continues at random intervals. every 5-20 minutes
edit: I used ultraiso on default setting back when i had windows 7

My HDD is a 5400rpm laptop Blue WD drive in a USB2.0 External case.
NEXSTAR TX
Sometimes I can hear my external hdd "wirr" up when this happens

This is with FFx and FFx-2, pretty sure its every game i have
edit: actually seems to happen most with ff-12

This has occurred on windows 7 and 8, but slightly less since the switch, or maybe not.
Idk now I mostly use my discs, but I don't want to make any wear to them ;_;

PS: I bought the entire gta & mortal kombat collection's @ wall-mart for 20$ Laugh (comes in a case that stores all the cases, you should check it out if you can find one at your local wall-mart)
[Image: 8rg00e-4.png]

Sponsored links

CrystalDiskInfo - Set APM to disabled or drag the slider towards the end on the performance side of the slider.

according to the Crapple forums, the jerk/resume is caused by the APM spindown being too aggressive.

this is a problem for drive live span as well, frequently starting and stopping a spinning mechanical design will cause more wear than constant motion.
(11-13-2011, 11:40 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: CrystalDiskInfo - Set APM to disabled or drag the slider towards the end on the performance side of the slider.

according to the Crapple forums, the jerk/resume is caused by the APM spindown being too aggressive.

this is a problem for drive live span as well, frequently starting and stopping a spinning mechanical design will cause more wear than constant motion.

I'm sorry but... what
[Image: 8rg00e-4.png]
http://crystalmark.info/software/Crystal...amApm.html
(11-13-2011, 10:28 PM)thatwasonce Wrote: But when I use my backed up version, the game completely freezes for me
for like 5 seconds, then continues at random intervals. every 5-20 minutes
This happens because the disc spins down. I have iso's on my external drive, and it loads up a lot of textures and stuff and then it doesn't read from the ISO on the HDD for a while. The HDD detects that it's idle and spins down. My external drive is really loud so you can hear it spin back up again and the head moving to find the file.

I'd just suggest move the iso of the game you are playing onto the internal hdd, and then back to the external drive after you finish the game. I'm playing through Yakuza 2 again right now for 100% completion so i have my Yakuza 1, FFX, FFXII, Shadow of the colossus, SO3, and a few others on my external drive.

There may be settings to stop the hdd from stopping, but then again it might mean reducing the lifespan of the external drive a bit. Well anyway whatever solution you want.