Frustrating loss of performance with Win7 x64
(05-27-2011, 06:03 PM)TheNewGuy Wrote: instead of power saving options check out if you can change something in your graphics adapter menue...its some kind of control panel...there you can choose whether the gpu or onboard will be used...was one of my first mistakes too not to look for that...hope it helped
Thanks. I have the onboard video disabled through the BIOS so I don't think I have that problem.

Quote:Sure you're using the same emulator and GSdx builds?
Other than that, check your power saving options and try setting them to high performance.
I'm using the same files from the same folder as with XP. In fact I can switch between Win7 and XP through the BIOS and get the same results.
As far as I know, Power saving options only kick-in when the CPU is not heavily in use. I have the max CPU usage set up to 100%.

Sponsored links

(05-27-2011, 04:31 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: anything older than the 200 series has been getting performance reductions with recent drivers of late.
that's NOT true. I have been steadily getting a BOOST with each release. I'm using an 8600GT.
(05-27-2011, 06:24 PM)Saiki Wrote: that's NOT true. I have been steadily getting a BOOST with each release. I'm using an 8600GT.

Shadow Lady said the same thing, about the newest drivers giving better performance than older R200 drivers

however she also tested R197 and it gave her a bunch more FPS in xenosaga. so the R250 drivers have nuked performance on G80/90 based hardware,
Power saving settings affect PCI-E speeds for example.
(05-27-2011, 07:28 PM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: Shadow Lady said the same thing, about the newest drivers giving better performance than older R200 drivers

however she also tested R197 and it gave her a bunch more FPS in xenosaga. so the R250 drivers have nuked performance on G80/90 based hardware,

Uh actually, for games that are limited by graphics card (when "Native" makes a difference) newer drivers are a little faster with my 9600GT, but for games limited by the GS thread (when "Native" or high resolution doesn't make a difference like in Xenosaga) then 191.xx drivers and older are faster (up to 20% from what I saw...).
Can't be sure if the speed difference is only limited to dual-core CPUs tho Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Not entirely sure about this, but maybe Win7 x64 is taken up more system resources than with XP. So your hardware is now more burdened by the OS and not able to provide as much performance to PCSX2 emulation. Whereas other emulators you are running dont require your full system's performance with Win7 installed.
Just to inform, today I reverted the driver for my 9600GT from the last stable to the 197.45

There is truth in that the newer drivers are bad for older games with the 9xxx series and probably earlier. I can't tell for the 2xx series.

The reason being with drivers after the 200.xx versions I can't get textures correctly rendered in Neverwinter nights 2 in more than one scenery and Oblivion is behaving weird, with the lighting changing from dark to brightly illuminated by just changing the angle I look. Probably other games may have issues too.

At this point I can't tell for sure if the problem is only with the older games or with the older video cards themselves being not properly tested with the newer drivers before release.

The point is, that 197.45 driver is good enough for me, I can't notice loss of performance and it works, which is what really matter.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Quote:The reason being with drivers after the 200.xx versions I can't get textures correctly rendered in Neverwinter nights 2 in more than one scenery and Oblivion is behaving weird, with the lighting changing from dark to brightly illuminated by just changing the angle I look. Probably other games may have issues too.

both of these should be fixed in 270.61 and 275.27, the oblivion issue was sun lighting was casting through solid objects.
Sadly it's not, I reversed from 270.61 exactly because I tried to replay Oblivion yesterday and feel like walking a disco dancing pub instead a supposed dark dungeon... Nothing better to ruin the atmosphere than a strobe animated "dark" cave...or Ayleid ruin... or fort... any interior actually. the effect is sadly evident just by walking around.

The NWN2 entire texture failing... simply the floor is missing and as soon as you leave hometown for the first time and go to that location and find the dwarf companion Keldar... it's not random, it's reproducible.

Both these observed facts "always" happen as soon a newer driver is installed, several other lesser strangeness I noticed in some games might just be similar problem, But I can't confirm them as "fact" as the two above.

To me it's clear Nvidia is not concerned with out of line cards enough to even look for these problems.

PS: Anyway, it's enough to look at the driver description and see: increased performance on 4xx and 5xx for game xyz...

When in the next upgrade, if I keep with Nvidia, I might have a reason to update the driver. To my actual 9600 there is not a single line stating it was improved in any way... thus...
Imagination is where we are truly real
Hi! answering your question...

Observing that windows 7 64 bit is heavier for its resources, such as aero. Even if you leave it in performance mode it will still continue using more resources than XP or Win 7 32 bit (note: windows 7 32 bit will use less because it has a more limited extension than the Win 7 64 bit).

check the power options and set it to full power, might help, as our friend said oh, turn off Aero because it draws much of its graphics card, if not resolved, go to the properties of my computer and click Settings Advanced system performance click Settings, and advanced will have two boxes, one with the name with other programs and background services, select the services you have in the background and do the test, I guarantee you'll have a better performance significantly. I used it when I installed Call of Duty Black Ops, because he was fighting a lot and it helped, because it was fast running everything on maximum.

Note: it is not recommended to leave in the background, because in the background he will not direct the processor directly to the program in use, but may significantly improve the performance of your processor in the emulator, this will depend on the programs that exist in its PC processor and how to react to them, but do not worry not caused no harm to its programs or hadwares only alerted in case you lose performance that is extremely unlikely