Full Dualshock support with official drivers?
Is there a way for PCSX2 to fully recognize a DS3 with the official Sony drivers?

The emulator recognizes the controller and inputs just fine, but it doesn't recognize the pressure sensitivity of any of the buttons, thus defeating the purpose for using the thing in games Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3. Is there a way to get it recognized.

Yes, I know about XInput Wrapper, but I already use DS4Windows and months of curiosity already culminated in me having both installed at the same time, and the only thing to result out of that was a system restore. And with the official driver, the only thing I actually lose out on is Bluetooth support.

Or alternatively, would I be better off simply using the Mayflash DS3 adapter?

Sponsored links

I use a Logitech F310 controller which doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons but what I like about using it with PCSX2 it is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the buttons in Lilypad which allows you to control how sensitive the response of specific buttons are.

In some cases this is even better than having the full range of pressure sensitivity of the face buttons because in some games when playing on the PS2 console it can be hard to actually constantly achieve a low sensitivity button press. I think this depends on the game though, as like in MGS2 it seemed to work perfectly with the Aim / Shoot feature of the [ ] button on the actual PS2. But an example of it not working properly on an actual PS2 is in the Madden / NCAA football games, when playing on an actual PS2 the square button is designed to be a dive or a QB slide if you are running past the LOS with a quarterback. To do a QB slide you're supposed to be able to just lightly press the [ ] button however in my experience when playing on an actual PS2 it just never seemed to worked as designed.

HOWEVER when playing Madden or NCAA on PCSX2, you can lower the sensitivity of the [ ] button in Lilypad and with it you can make it so every time you press the [ ] no matter how hard the QB will always do a QB slide. This is just an example of how in some cases it's better to actually be limited with having a gamepad without pressure sensitive face buttons due to being able to emulate the sensitivity of button presses inside Lilypad. The fact is that PCSX2 and this ability to control the sensitivity of button pressures in Lilypad actually allows you to achieve functions that were programmed into the face buttons but that sometimes even on an actual PS2 you couldn't seem to get to work consistently enough.

Now with all that said, I do think it would be cool to actually be able to use a gamepad with pressure sensitive face buttons as it was designed for the PS2 controller, with perhaps the ability to adjust the range of sensitivities in Lilypad in case button presses need to be tweaked.

Like I know in Metal Gear Solid 2 for example, it was brilliant how you could lightly hold [ ] to aim then press it harder to shoot. It would be cool to be able to experience that in PCSX2 for MGS2 as it was designed. But for someone like me who uses a Logitech F310 which doesn't feature pressure sensitive face buttons I guess I would have to basically map two separate buttons with different sensitivities in Lilypad to achieve the aim feature in MGS. (but it's not the same feeling or efficiency with using two separate buttons for different sensitivities of the same button)

So yes it would be cool to be able to use the pressure sensitivity of a single face button like the aim / shoot feature in Metal Gear Solid 2. But it's important to keep in mind that in MGS2 it was designed perfectly by the developers and it actually worked when playing on a PS2 with a PS2 gamepad. However in other games like Madden / NCAA with the QB slide it didn't always work properly even on the PS2, you'd press [ ] lightly and he'd still do a dive most of the time even when you were trying to do a QB slide. (and many times him doing a dive when you wanted him to do a slide would cause fumbles so it was a definite issue) The QB slide situation in Madden / NCAA is an example where PCSX2 and Lilypad actually allows you to do QB slides where you really can't (at least not consistently) on an actual PS2.

Many PS2 games don't utilize this amazing feature of pressure sensitive face buttons with multiple functions tied to a single button depending on how hard you press down on the button. But it's a very subtle thing and sometimes it might be hard to notice. I think some games utilize pressure sensitive face button but you may not realize it due to how subtle it is. It would be great to be able to achieve this fully in PCSX2. However I am just grateful that Lilypad allows us to emulate the sensitivity even without having a gamepad with pressure sensitive face buttons because it allows us to achieve functions (like the QB slide in Madden / NCAA) that were programmed into the game by the developers but not executed properly through the PS2 controller.

The fact that I can do QB slides consistently in Madden / NCAA thanks to Lilypad is one of the reasons why I prefer playing it on PCSX2 vs PS2 where I simply can't do QB slides consistently.

If you know of any other games that utilize pressure sensitive face buttons I would like to know maybe we can put together a list of games that use this underutilized feature of the PS2 controller.
(05-02-2020, 03:39 PM)planetps2 Wrote: I use a Logitech F310 controller which doesn't have pressure sensitive face buttons but what I like about using it with PCSX2 it is that you can adjust the sensitivity of the buttons in Lilypad which allows you to control how sensitive the response of specific buttons are.

In some cases this is even better than having the full range of pressure sensitivity of the face buttons because in some games when playing on the PS2 console it can be hard to actually constantly achieve a low sensitivity button press. I think this depends on the game though, as like in MGS2 it seemed to work perfectly with the Aim / Shoot feature of the [ ] button on the actual PS2. But an example of it not working properly on an actual PS2 is in the Madden / NCAA football games, when playing on an actual PS2 the square button is designed to be a dive or a QB slide if you are running past the LOS with a quarterback. To do a QB slide you're supposed to be able to just lightly press the [ ] button however in my experience when playing on an actual PS2 it just never seemed to worked as designed.

HOWEVER when playing Madden or NCAA on PCSX2, you can lower the sensitivity of the [ ] button in Lilypad and with it you can make it so every time you press the [ ] no matter how hard the QB will always do a QB slide. This is just an example of how in some cases it's better to actually be limited with having a gamepad without pressure sensitive face buttons due to being able to emulate the sensitivity of button presses inside Lilypad. The fact is that PCSX2 and this ability to control the sensitivity of button pressures in Lilypad actually allows you to achieve functions that were programmed into the face buttons but that sometimes even on an actual PS2 you couldn't seem to get to work consistently enough.

Now with all that said, I do think it would be cool to actually be able to use a gamepad with pressure sensitive face buttons as it was designed for the PS2 controller, with perhaps the ability to adjust the range of sensitivities in Lilypad in case button presses need to be tweaked.

Like I know in Metal Gear Solid 2 for example, it was brilliant how you could lightly hold [ ] to aim then press it harder to shoot. It would be cool to be able to experience that in PCSX2 for MGS2 as it was designed. But for someone like me who uses a Logitech F310 which doesn't feature pressure sensitive face buttons I guess I would have to basically map two separate buttons with different sensitivities in Lilypad to achieve the aim feature in MGS. (but it's not the same feeling or efficiency with using two separate buttons for different sensitivities of the same button)

So yes it would be cool to be able to use the pressure sensitivity of a single face button like the aim / shoot feature in Metal Gear Solid 2. But it's important to keep in mind that in MGS2 it was designed perfectly by the developers and it actually worked when playing on a PS2 with a PS2 gamepad. However in other games like Madden / NCAA with the QB slide it didn't always work properly even on the PS2, you'd press [ ] lightly and he'd still do a dive most of the time even when you were trying to do a QB slide. (and many times him doing a dive when you wanted him to do a slide would cause fumbles so it was a definite issue) The QB slide situation in Madden / NCAA is an example where PCSX2 and Lilypad actually allows you to do QB slides where you really can't (at least not consistently) on an actual PS2.

Many PS2 games don't utilize this amazing feature of pressure sensitive face buttons with multiple functions tied to a single button depending on how hard you press down on the button. But it's a very subtle thing and sometimes it might be hard to notice. I think some games utilize pressure sensitive face button but you may not realize it due to how subtle it is. It would be great to be able to achieve this fully in PCSX2. However I am just grateful that Lilypad allows us to emulate the sensitivity even without having a gamepad with pressure sensitive face buttons because it allows us to achieve functions (like the QB slide in Madden / NCAA) that were programmed into the game by the developers but not executed properly through the PS2 controller.

The fact that I can do QB slides consistently in Madden / NCAA thanks to Lilypad is one of the reasons why I prefer playing it on PCSX2 vs PS2 where I simply can't do QB slides consistently.

If you know of any other games that utilize pressure sensitive face buttons I would like to know maybe we can put together a list of games that use this underutilized feature of the PS2 controller.
I'm not sure how any of this answers my question or resolves my issue.
(05-03-2020, 12:10 AM)IncapsulatedThought Wrote: I'm not sure how any of this answers my question or resolves my issue.

Well we first need to establish whether pressure sensitivity works with a PS2 DS2 controller in PCSX2 and what you need to do to make it work properly.

A DS3 controller does have pressure sensitive face buttons but it's a different mechanism than the DS2 pressure sensitive face buttons. I don't know since I've never tried using a DS3 or a DS2 for that matter in PCSX2. To use a DS2 with PCSX2 you'd need some kind of converter. But a DS3 should pretty much be plug and play I'm guessing.

I'm informing you of my experience with the face buttons and how you can adjust the sensitivities in Lilypad even if your controller doesn't support pressure sensitive face buttons. I don't know how to answer your question as I don't use a DS3 with PCSX2, but I'm very interested in knowing the answer to your question and if you can get full pressure sensitivity on PCSX2.

And furthermore I'd like know more about which PS2 games utilize pressure sensitive face buttons, and if there are any PC gamepads that have pressure sensitive face buttons that work with PCSX2.
(05-03-2020, 07:38 PM)planetps2 Wrote: Well we first need to establish whether pressure sensitivity works with a PS2 DS2 controller in PCSX2 and what you need to do to make it work properly.

A DS3 controller does have pressure sensitive face buttons but it's a different mechanism than the DS2 pressure sensitive face buttons. I don't know since I've never tried using a DS3 or a DS2 for that matter in PCSX2. To use a DS2 with PCSX2 you'd need some kind of converter. But a DS3 should pretty much be plug and play I'm guessing.

I'm informing you of my experience with the face buttons and how you can adjust the sensitivities in Lilypad even if your controller doesn't support pressure sensitive face buttons. I don't know how to answer your question as I don't use a DS3 with PCSX2, but I'm very interested in knowing the answer to your question and if you can get full pressure sensitivity on PCSX2.

And furthermore I'd like know more about which PS2 games utilize pressure sensitive face buttons, and if there are any PC gamepads that have pressure sensitive face buttons that work with PCSX2.
Pressure sensitivity worked on the DS2 and the DS3 with the custom lilypad plugin and with the DS3 specifically, XInputWrapper and SCPtoolkit way back when. And as I already said, that's a no-go since I use DS4Windows and having both installed simultaneously results in a crash.

I don't see how adjusting lilypad sensitivity solves or helps anything since Metal Gear uses pretty much every button on the controller, and adjusting and mapping sensitivities means a core function of the games are eliminates.