Full speed with SW rendering, slow with HW
Something isn't quite right, I'm getting full speed on every game with SW rendering, while HW is quite slow on some games like Okage shadow king and MGS2.  And the weirdest part of all, I'm on a geforce gtx 980, one of the fastest gpu's out you can get.  Now, I am using OpenGL with HW depth, HW date, and high accuracy blending, but I do have very high end specs here.  Is this normal for high accuracy blending to be that slow?

Sponsored links

(03-31-2016, 07:56 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: Something isn't quite right, I'm getting full speed on every game with SW rendering, while HW is quite slow on some games like Okage shadow king and MGS2.  And the weirdest part of all, I'm on a geforce gtx 980, one of the fastest gpu's out you can get.  Now, I am using OpenGL with HW depth, HW date, and high accuracy blending, but I do have  very high end specs here.  Is this normal for high accuracy blending to be that slow?

Yes. It's a very demanding feature, especially on some games
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
You don't need HW depth, accurate date and b.u.a. on/high for every game, it can even cause crashes or create bugs that aren't there without 'em. And then there's the speed issue. Smile
Quote:high accuracy blending
Require a beefy CPU (and a 20% increase on the GPU). It is slow because it emulate a missing hardware feature. It will be less slower when the feature will be fully available in the hardware (but someone will need to code it).
But I'm on a i7 skylake, isn't that beefy enough?
(04-01-2016, 01:35 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: But I'm on a i7 skylake, isn't that beefy enough?

nope, pretty sure there games out there that isnt a enough, majority of games yes
I said beefy CPU not a slow CPU Tongue2

Quote:I'm on a geforce gtx 980, one of the fastest gpu's out you can get
In order to emulate a perfect blending, I need to flush the GPU cache every primitives. So paradoxically it will be slower on your GPU. Big GPU means big cache, means more to invalidate, means slower performance.

(long term) Future GSdx will rely on GPU hardware rather than trying to emulate it so it would be faster. But don't expect it soon, I likely won't upgrade my GPU this year.