GENJI [SCPS 15095] (J) Misaligned bloom effect
1)Game title: GENJI
2)ELF name: SCPS 15095
3)Game CRC: B4776FC1

I'm sorry to bother you all with not so important question, but here it goes.
In recent PCSX2 version, I don't remember from which one, GENJI's bloom effect (post-processing effects?) in Direrect3D 11 (Hardware) appeared. These effects get misaligned in higher resolutions ("6x Native (~2160p 4k)" in my case). In Tales of the Abyss it was possible to fix this misalignment in "Enable HW Hacks" by "Half-pixel Offset" set to "Special (Texture)", which does not work for GENJI. I found a way to turn them off by checking "Alpha" in "Enable HW Hacks". Question is:

Is there a setting in current PCSX2 to align bloom effects in GENJI in higher resolutions?

If not, that's okay. I'll just play with that "Alpha" setting which turns them off. Game looks beautiful regardless.

Attached are Hardware, Software and Hardware "Alpha" checked GENJI in-game screenshots. Bloom misalignment is visible on pagoda in the background.
It looks a lot worse in cutscenes, when characters get kinda doubled by this effect, but it was easier to test and take not moving screenshot.

GENJI Hardware & Software & Alpha

Sponsored links

Can you upload a GS dump ?
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump
CPU: I7-4770 3.9GHZ
Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS
RAM: Hyper X Savage 2x8GB 1.6GHZ CL9
GPU: GTX1070 8GB GDDR5
(04-06-2019, 10:20 PM)lightningterror Wrote: Can you upload a GS dump ?
https://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-How-to-c...er-GS-dump

Yes, I think I can.
Thank you for that "How to" link.

GENJI [SCPS 15095] (J) Misaligned Bloom - Background Pagoda GS Dump
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...4877191021

GENJI [SCPS 15095] (J) Misaligned Bloom - Leaves GS Dump
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...3476833596

I also attached a location of falling leaves with bloom.

GENJI Hardware & Software & Alpha

Do any of the upscaling hacks work ? It is likely a depth effect that doesn't scale well.
(04-08-2019, 02:25 AM)lightningterror Wrote: Do any of the upscaling hacks work ? It is likely a depth effect that doesn't scale well.

My understanding of PCSX2 options is pretty low. I'm sorry. I did read pop up boxes in emulator options and searched the web though. 
Upscaling hacks are things in Enable HW Hacks only or is there someplace else I should fiddle with?

I tried all check boxes while using Direct3D 11 (Hardware) in Enable HW Hacks one by one and Half-pixel Offset, Sprite, Round Sprite, Skipdraw Range up to 10. Set to 2 2 seems to also disable bloom. Texture Offsets kinda moves that bloom a little I think, so maybe this is the one that could possibly work. I wasn't able to move it enough to look OK. Values from around x: 300 y: 300 cause a two long crossing black lines to appear on the screen, the higher the more visible they become. I may have missed something, set something without something else with bad number or what. I'm not sure really. I didn't touch any other options, all is on default I guess.

What is the difference between this Skipdraw Range set to 2 2 and Alpha checked? Is one better to disable bloom in this game than the other if it won't be possible to align it?

I switched to OpenGL (Hardware) also and disabled bloom by setting Skipdraw to 2. Alpha option is grayed out in OpenGL (Hardware), so Skipdraw is the only way I found to disable bloom there. OpenGL scared me a little, because I had "Not enough VRAM" error, emulator crash and my PC acting weird after while testing it in Tales of Destiny I think, so I just avoided it since. I will test it again without Large Framebuffer Checked, which may have been the culprit of my crash. I've read that depending on the game, Direct3D 11 (Hardware) is better, because it can't display things that OpenGL (Hardware) can, so glitches visible in OpenGL (Hardware) are not there. This may be an old information too, not sure.

There is no actual guide for current PCSX2 on the net, especially for people with strong gaming PC's who want, and probably can without much of a performance drop, push graphics up to 4k. All I've found is guides of how to optimize or save fps's in emulator, which were pretty unsubstantial too.
I had the same problem with guides for PPSSPP, all about how to make it work on weaker PC's and phones, but it's off topic, sorry.

Just in case before you ask, here are my emulator options right now:

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.20GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
RAM: DDR4-2400 16GBx2 Dual Channel
HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
Display: Sony Bravia TV 4k HDR 49"

Build Description: PCSX2 1.5.0-dev-3034 - Windows

BIOS Used: Europe v02.00(14/06/2004) Console

Plugins:

GS: GSdx32-AVX2
Pad: LilyPad 0.12.1
Sound: SPU2-X 2.0.0
CDVD: cdvdGigaherz 0.11.0
USB: USBnull 0.7.0
FW: FWnull 0.7.0
DEV9: DEV9null 0.5.0

Emulation Settings:

EE/IOP: Preset 2 - Safe (Default)
VUs: Preset 2 - Safe (Default)
GS: Preset 2 - Safe (Default)
GS Window: Aspect Ratio: Widescreen (16:9) FMV Aspect Ratio Override: Off (Default) Wait for Vsync on Refresh: Disabled (This option I tried to enable, but it resets itself every time I close the emulator, so I just forget to turn it back on.)
Speedhacks Used: Preset 2 - Safe (Default)
MTVU Checked
Gamefixes Used: Preset 2 - Safe (Default)

GSdx Settings 01 (while Direct3D 11):

Renderer: Direct3D 11 (Hardware)
Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Interlacing: None
Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2)
Allow 8-Bit Textures Checked (Can this still cause graphical glitches or is it fixed, working as intended? I've read something about it here on the forums, so I'm not sure about this setting.)
Large Framebuffer Unchecked (Unchecked it recently, because it said it can cause vram spikes. Maybe this is the thing that caused a "Not enough VRAM." error on OpenGL? Not sure again about this option.)
Internal Resolution: 6x Native (~2160p 4k)
Mipmapping (Ins): Automatic (Default)
CRC Hack Level: Automatic (Default)
Enable HW Hacks Checked
GSdx HW Hacks: Alpha Checked (or Skipdraw Range 2 2)
Accurate Date: Fast

GSdx Settings 02 (while OpenGL):

Renderer: OpenGL (Hardware)
Adapter: n/a (Grayed out)
Interlacing: None
Texture Filtering: Bilinear (PS2)
Allow 8-Bit Textures Checked 
Large Framebuffer Unchecked
Internal Resolution: 6x Native (~2160p 4k)
Anisotropic Filtering: 16x
Mipmapping (Ins): Automatic (Default)
CRC Hack Level: Automatic (Default)
Enable HW Hacks Checked
GSdx HW Hacks: Trilinear Filtering: Trilinear, Skipdraw Range 2 2
OpenGL Advanced Settings: Geometry Shader: Automatic (Default), Image Load Store: Automatic (Default), Sparse Texture: Force-Disabled
Accurate Date: Fast
Accurate Blending: High

In PCSX2 System: Enable Cheats Checked
In PCSX2 System: Enable Widescreen Patches Unchecked

Just to visualize what long crossing black lines I was talking about, I attached a screenshot of Texture Offsets set to x: 1000 y: 1000 on purpose, to make them easier to spot. It may be normal emulator behavior though. I think bloom moved a little to the right and down? But it was originally doubled and misaligned to the left and right, so ugh. Hopeless fight?

GENJI Texture Offsets to 1000 - Black lines

Small update. On pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-3079 21.04.19 build GENJI's bloom has changed again.
Now bloom is not present in Direct3D 11 (Hardware), but remains present in OpenGL (Hardware) and Direct3D 11/OpenGL (Software). Alpha option which I was talking in my previous posts got removed completely, which is actually OK because after playing a little with it on I noticed that a texture on a reflecting floor was not displayed correctly with that setting. Using Skipdraw Range 2 2 was a better solution, which answers my own question in a post above. This HW Hack in not needed in Direct3D (Hardware) mode on current build, but still helps in my opinion in OpenGL (Hardware).

GENJI - Direct3D 11 (Hardware) & OpenGL (Hardware) & (Software)

I noticed that GENJI also has problems with doubling/ghosting in places with mist and distant blur on both Direct3D 11 and OpenGL. This can be fixed a little by setting Half-pixel Offset to Special (Texture). Didn't notice any difference between Special (Texture) and Special (Texture - aggressive). 

Look at background roofs and guard behind main character.
GENJI - Second Village (Mist Halo) & GENJI - Second Village (HPO - Special (Texture)) & GENJI - Second Village (HPO - Special (Texture - aggressive)) & GENJI - Second Village (Software)

There is a graphic glitch in few locations in game. Starting mountain area and second snow town in example. Shadow bar on the bottom of the screen. Wild Arms Offsets fixes it for Direct3D (Hardware) and OpenGL (Hardware), but in OpenGL (Hardware) it adds different glitch. When Wild Arms Offset in enabled in OpenGL (Hardware) instead of shadow bar white line is visible on the bottom, from right to about half the length of the screen. On (Software) modes this area do not look perfect neither. Whole screen seems to be misaligned, has narrow black area on the right and bottom. Colors on OpenGL and (Software) modes are also washout in comparison to Direct3D 11. I prefer Direct3D 11 ones!

GENJI - Mountain (Dark Bar) & GENJI - Mountain (Wild Arms Offset) & GENJI - Mountain (OpenGL White Line & Washout Colors) & GENJI - Mountain (Software)

Colors look a lot different on the floor in this place. I don't mind this dark floor on Direct3D 11, looks more glamour style, but because (Software) modes are the lighter one I guess that's the original intended color. Below screens are from PCSX2 1.5.0-dev-3034 version of the emulator, but floor colors hasn't changed on current pcsx2-v1.5.0-dev-3079 one.

GENJI - Floor (Direct3D 11 & Skipdraw 2 2) & GENJI - Floor (OpenGL & Skipdraw 2 2) & GENJI - Floor (Software)

Just to show what previous Alpha setting did to this floor:

GENJI - Floor (Direct3D 11 & Alpha)

Using Half-pixel Offset set to Special (Texture) has one, as for now, problem. Reflection on the floor in this room shakes when character moves, keeps shaking a little after character stops, then stabilizes.

GENJI - Shaking Reflection on the floor (Of course not visible on a screenshot!)

Hmm it is a regression, recent fbmask port requires sw blending for dx to work properly on this game so maybe I'll exclude this game.
Recent regression was fixed so d3d11 and opengl should again look the same, as long as you don't turn up blending on high on d3d.
(04-27-2019, 03:33 AM)lightningterror Wrote: Recent regression was fixed so d3d11 and opengl should again look the same, as long as you don't turn up blending on high on d3d.

I see. Thank you.
Checked it, it is as you say.