GHZ DEV9 plugin not finding correct Network Adapter
Hey,
I tried using GiGaHeRz's Dev9 Plugin, and it doesn't find my main network adapter, instead displaying only a virtualized one.
Underneath you'll find both screenshots of my ipconfig and a screenshot of the plugin's config menu, and as you can see it only shows "Ethernet 2" instead of "Ethernet", which is the one connected to my router. The plan is to use it to connect to an actual LAN I have setup, but if it only works with VLANs such as Hamachi, I can do that too

ipconfig:
(pretty sure nothing can be done with internal IP's but better safe than sorry)
https://imgur.com/F1Z4L7w

Plugin config:
https://imgur.com/5rLggc4

Sponsored links

try disabling or removing ethernet 2 driver.
and also you don't need to hide ipv4 address bro. no one can hack you through ipv4 lmao
Dev9 was updated and only supports TAP interfaces.
In order to use the Ethernet capabilities of Dev9 you need to set up a TAP interface.
(10-08-2020, 07:43 PM)Fobes Wrote: Dev9 was updated and only supports TAP interfaces.
In order to use the Ethernet capabilities of Dev9 you need to set up a TAP interface.

That is *****, why was this done? The older versions of Dev9 plugin still work perfectly fine with a physical adapter.
(11-30-2020, 01:39 PM)Nicknine Wrote: That is *****, why was this done? The older versions of Dev9 plugin still work perfectly fine with a physical adapter.

That was done because dev9 was integrated in to the emulator, and we didn't want to make everybody install WinPCap just to run the emulator.

Anyway you can get OpenVPN and that will create an adapter it can use.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(11-30-2020, 05:50 PM)refraction Wrote: That was done because dev9 was integrated in to the emulator, and we didn't want to make everybody install WinPCap just to run the emulator.

Anyway you can get OpenVPN and that will create an adapter it can use.

It kind of sounds like you just jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with that change. You no longer have to install WinPcap/Npcap, instead you have to install a VPN service client to create a virtual adapter just to play online. That's an even less of an intuitive solution than the previous one. Is there no way to just block off network support if WinPcap is not installed instead of failing at startup?
A VPN client (not an entire service) isn't much different from winpcap at all, and we had no choice, winpcap is a dependency, the emulator wouldn't have worked with it and I can't expect everybody to install it. It's really not a massive deal installing OpenVPN.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Actually you can just extract the TAP driver from any OpenVPN installer and install just that if you have some kind of unbearable OCD.
Here's a guide on how to do just that
(12-01-2020, 02:19 AM)refraction Wrote: A VPN client (not an entire service) isn't much different from winpcap at all, and we had no choice, winpcap is a dependency, the emulator wouldn't have worked with it and I can't expect everybody to install it.  It's really not a massive deal installing OpenVPN.

Yes, I meant VPN client, my bad.

PCem and 86Box do not require installing winpcap to work, it's an optional dependency needed for using bridged networking. What was the issue with doing the same in PCSX2?
Sorry for the bump, but this is on-topic. I've had the same issue, but I found out the TAP stuff through this thread. How does it work? How do I get it set up? Do I have to be connected to the VPN to play online in 1.7.0?