GPU Importance in PCSX2
I'm new to this forum, so first.... HALLO!!!
I've been following the project PCSX2 for some years now, it's really interesting and you did some great work, I'm really enjoying this emulator!
Enough ass kissing for now, here's my question:

What is the most important part of a gfx card for pcsx2 (especially gsdx of course), I've once heard it's the TEXEL rate, not the overall perfomance of a gfx card, or the architecture.
Is this right?

btw sorry for bad english

Sponsored links

just grab anything above 8800GT and you're set.
I think this might be the question about the use of the GPU architecture, not the question about which card to buy. Just wanted to bump this up so that devs can answer Smile
i7 @ 3.2Ghz /w Noctua
6GB Dominator 1600Mhz
5770 Vapor-X
1.5 TB Raid 5 /w 3ware 9650SE

Hmm...I'm guessing the CPU is like 60~70% in keeping the emulation smooth, while the gfx card handles the rest for the display post-processing...?
Because it seems like most of the time it's fine to have a weak-ish gfx card (NOT talking about onboards), but not 'under 3.0GHz' CPU.
Intel C2D E6550 2.33GHz ([email protected])
Corsair CM2X1024 4GB (4x1GB) DDR2 DRAM
ASUS P5K
XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB

Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
To "emulate" ... it is always CPU demanded, since PS2 is like a 10-year-old product, it doesn't require that much GPU power than other 3dgames out it the market currently, unless you chagne the resolution of gsdx, a GF7600 or radeon 9800 should do the job.
C2Q Q9550 - 3.9Ghz
8GB DDR1067
EVGA GTX260*2 (SLI)
WD Black 1TB*2 (RAID 0)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Sorry for my poor English >"<
ahh, thanks for all your answers! Sorry, I've had no time was working and saw them only now.

But I think you didn't get my question, no cpu bottleneck or anything nor which gfx do I need for acceptable speeds... I know pretty much everything about pcsx2, I've read so much lol

My question is the efficiency of a respective gfx card, to get the maximum out of pcsx2, for example I've had a HD4870 and couldn't get a as high internal resolution as with the 9800gtx+ (all other specs the same [X3 720 3,6 GHz, 4GB RAM] althoug it was an older revision but I think the ati problem was already solved at this time), so the slower card was performing better in pcsx2.

As I mentioned above, one time I read something about the texel rate per second (I think it was even in this forum) but that's pretty all I read about the respective performance of a gfx card...
I hope somebody can help me out with this question!

and once again sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand what I mean...Biggrin

[EDIT] @mantasuk, yeah right
Without a good GPU you'll get very jerky fps with high resolutions. In my opinion the main attractive point in Pcsx2 is the possibility to enjoy PS2 games on higher resolutions, there isn't much point in using native res.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

(04-08-2010, 12:05 AM)Gentleman Wrote: Without a good GPU you'll get very jerky fps with high resolutions. In my opinion the main attractive point in Pcsx2 is the possibility to enjoy PS2 games on higher resolutions, there isn't much point in using native res.

okay, thx dude.... but that wasn't my questionRolleyes
The charts I use for checking performance (how to read them is below):

NVIDIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units
ATI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units

The columns you care most about are, in this order:

Bandwidth (GB/s)
Fillrate (GT/s)
Memory (MB)

As with all PCSX2 things, a lot depends on the game. Some games prefer fillrate over bandwidth, but by and large the majority of games under PCSX2 are bandwidth-limited. The amount of memory is only really important for a few specific problematic titles, but will (as with anything) typically provide small performance bonuses to all titles.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(04-08-2010, 12:32 AM)Air Wrote: The charts I use for checking performance (how to read them is below):

NVIDIA: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units
ATI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_...sing_units

The columns you care most about are, in this order:

Bandwidth (GB/s)
Fillrate (GT/s)
Memory (MB)

As with all PCSX2 things, a lot depends on the game. Some games prefer fillrate over bandwidth, but by and large the majority of games under PCSX2 are bandwidth-limited. The amount of memory is only really important for a few specific problematic titles, but will (as with anything) typically provide small performance bonuses to all titles.

thank you so much, this is exactly what I wanted to know!Biggrin