GPU usage only 24%
I've just gotten back into using PCSX2 after not having used it since January. Grabbed the latest 1.4.0 installer and the latest git build (8/23/16) and have started messing about with plugin options again.

Here are my specs:

CPU - Intel Core Xeon E3-1231V3
GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB
HDD (for games) - WD Blue 1TB

First off, should I be using DX11 or OpenGL? I've read that I should use OpenGL with my GPU, but I don't notice a huge difference between them, except when I speed up the blending accuracy to medium or basic. Will setting the blending accuracy lower affect quality in most games? I didn't notice a huge difference in Gran Turismo. 

Also, the title of this thread is an issue I think I'm having. I've been messing around a lot in GT3 trying to get the highest quality settings without slowdown, but even when the game is slowed down my GPU usage doesn't go above 25%. Shouldn't it be much higher? Aren't I missing out on a lot of its power when its at 25%? Or is this normal? Temperatures don't go above 48 degrees C and fan usage sits around 50% when I'm in-game. I want to get resolution up to 4x, but that usually causes some pretty bad slowdowns. Just weird that my GPU usage never gets very high.
Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600mhz
Gigabyte H97-D3H | addlink S70 1TB M.2 SSD Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB

Sponsored links

Be sure the option "large framebuffer" is disabled. Blending accuracy is very taxing, some game requires a high level, most are fine with basic/none.
(08-24-2016, 04:44 PM)gregory Wrote: Be sure the option "large framebuffer" is disabled. Blending accuracy is very taxing, some game requires a high level, most are fine with basic/none.

Is there a list anywhere of games that benefit from high level blending accuracy? I'd like to keep quality where I can. Is a large framebuffer not necessary? I didn't have that option with the last git build I was using in January (12/21/15).
Intel Xeon E3-1231 v3 Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 @1600mhz
Gigabyte H97-D3H | addlink S70 1TB M.2 SSD Samsung EVO 840 250GB SSD | WD Blue 1TB
No but feel free to annotate the wiki Smile Medium/High are useful for fog/shadow effects. Of course, it depends on the internal game renderer.

Large framebuffer help to render some FMVs but kill the GT series. Anyway, I'm not sure you have enough RAM to handle 4x upscaling. Your VRAM is likely full so GPU is waiting the data from the main RAM.
(08-24-2016, 08:23 PM)gregory Wrote: No but feel free to annotate the wiki Smile Medium/High are useful for fog/shadow effects. Of course, it depends on the internal game renderer.

Large framebuffer help to render some FMVs but kill the GT series. Anyway, I'm not sure you have enough RAM to handle 4x upscaling. Your VRAM is likely full so GPU is waiting the data from the main RAM.

So why would my GPU usage be so low then? And is OpenGL the better renderer for my system?
Easy, it take a lots of time to read a data from the DRAM from the GPU (otherwise why do you think there are VRAM on GPU). If the GPU need data from the DRAM what will do your GPU? Nothing, it will wait millions of cycle. GT is quite taxing on VRAM (due to GSdx limitation).

OpenGL is more accurate than Dx. OpenGL supports various depth effects. You can configure it to improve the quality of blending... Dx11 is from another century Wink
(08-24-2016, 09:15 PM)gregory Wrote: Easy, it take a lots of time to read a data from the DRAM from the GPU (otherwise why do you think there are VRAM on GPU). If the GPU need data from the DRAM what will do your GPU? Nothing, it will wait millions of cycle. GT is quite taxing on VRAM (due to GSdx limitation).

OpenGL is more accurate than Dx. OpenGL supports various depth effects. You can configure it to improve the quality of blending... Dx11 is from another century Wink

That makes sense, thanks for the application. I turned on MSI Afterburner and watched my GPU graphs. They do as you say.
I also just realized I've had no speedhacks enabled. Just set VU cycle stealing to 1, and enabled INTC spin detection and wait loop detection. What a tremendous speedup! Now I can play GT3 at 6x resolution and high blending unit accuracy with issues only at the start of races. Pretty awesome.