[GRAPHICS] Using nVidia Optimus with pcsx2
Is there any way to switch to my GTX 660M? At first the console was showing Intel HD Graphics 4000. After switching to SVN it shows NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M even if i switch back to Intel's graphics using the adapter setting. I'm getting horrible performance (down to 30FPS) no matter what. It's clear that my computer is using the Intel HD Graphics option no matter what I set it to. I don't really care how the game looks (playing Sly BTW) as long as i can get it to run at 60FPS using my 660M.

Yes, I have tried using the nVidia graphics options and changing the default graphics card, and running it specifically with the 660M as well. Optimus is a *****.

Sponsored links

Yes, the option to chose the video card specifically can be find on recent builds at the SVN. You can download it from the main page, more specifically:

http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

That option appears at the GSDX plugin top.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(04-19-2013, 03:13 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Yes, the option to chose the video card specifically can be find on recent builds at the SVN. You can download it from the main page, more specifically:

http://pcsx2.net/download/development/svn.html

That option appears at the GSDX plugin top.

I am using the SVN build.

Quote:After switching to SVN it shows NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M even if i switch back to Intel's graphics using the adapter setting.
(04-19-2013, 03:24 PM)TheMysteriousMrM Wrote: I am using the SVN build.

Ah, sorry, seems I'm slower than the normal atm Smile

About Optimus, I did read issues reports with it but I don't really know what it is or how it affects the system. So I though that option would force the emulator to use the Nvidia card.

Maybe the reason for the misunderstanding is because I can't imagine a reason for wanting to revert to the HD graphics over the 660M.

Again, it's not something I can talk from personal experience.

About the performance, it may not be due to the video card at all, the CPU is probably the cause.

Contrary of most PC games the graphics are much less demanding (unless too much post processing is attempted, like upscale, AA and such).

On the other hand the CPU has a lot of work to do just to translate the PS2 code to something PC can run... and then run it, the first part is much more demanding.

To make things worse, great part of actual PS2 graphics processing is done on the VUs, hence more work for the CPU as well.

Edit: to be able to help further you must provide the machine's specs, the game being attempted so we can tell which and if speedhacks will help. For now you could try EE cyclerate at 2 and VU cycle stealing at 2.
Imagination is where we are truly real
My CPU is an Intel I7-3610QM, a quad core with a clock of 3.3 GHz. I don't think this is much of a problem given that older rigs easily can handle this emulator. Also the lag pretty much doubles when more polygons are being rendered (turning around a corner causes lag). Although, if this is a CPU problem, would you know how to fix it?

I also tried forcing my 660M to run the game. No success. It seems like the console and menu runs with it, but the game isn't effected. Do you know of any alternate graphics plugins that have adapter settings?

Edit: My PC is a Multicom Xishan W370E with 12 GB of DDR3 RAM, a GTX 660M with 2GB of GDDR5, an Intel I7-3610QM quad core with base clock of 2.3 boost of 3.3.

Second edit: Thanks BTW :D
The 3610QQM is actually a 2.3ghz processor with 3.3 ghz turbo for 1 core or 3.1ghz for all cores (not that the .2 ghz makes alot of difference lol). Regardless though, unless the game is a very demanding one, it shouldnt be causing the bottleneck.

Have you tried right clicking the pcsx2 exe or shortcut and selecting to run with 660m? Should be under something with "run with graphics processor" or something like that. Otherwise, try changing it under the nvidea control panel. Other than that, I cant think of anh other way to change it other than under the gsdx options.
[Image: jmt41l-2.png]
SSD: 250GB | HDD: 2TB | GPU: MSI GTX 970 4G Gaming
(04-19-2013, 04:09 PM)Dante3hs Wrote: The 3610QQM is actually a 2.3ghz processor with 3.3 ghz turbo for 1 core or 3.1ghz for all cores (not that the .2 ghz makes alot of difference lol). Regardless though, unless the game is a very demanding one, it shouldnt be causing the bottleneck.

Have you tried right clicking the pcsx2 exe or shortcut and selecting to run with 660m? Should be under something with "run with graphics processor" or something like that. Otherwise, try changing it under the nvidea control panel. Other than that, I cant think of anh other way to change it other than under the gsdx options.

Yeah, I tried all that stuff D: Thanks for the info on how boost works, I'll probably need that in the future :D
Anyone have a solution to this? I really wanna play through Sly and Ratchet and Clank.
Got a new PC recently, and it runs everything smoothly but this D:
First, performance of PCSX2 depends also on the game you're playing, so what is the game title?
Second PCSX2 is more CPU dependant than GPU dependant as it was already mentioned.
I also have Optimus with forced settings to use my GF for PCSX2 and it works just fine,
but even with my i5 depending on a game I also sometimes get low FPS.

[Edit]Ah, you mentioned Ratchet and Clank. I havent played that game yet, so I cannot help much.
(04-19-2013, 05:40 PM)MegaVolt Wrote: First, performance of PCSX2 depends also on the game you're playing, so what is the game title?
Second PCSX2 is more CPU dependant than GPU dependant as it was already mentioned.
I also have Optimus with forced settings to use my GF for PCSX2 and it works just fine,
but even with my i5 depending on a game I also sometimes get low FPS.

[Edit]Ah, you mentioned Ratchet and Clank. I havent played that game yet, so I cannot help much.

Using it for sly 1-3 for the moment. Same amount of lag in all three of them. I'll give the forcing another try :D

Edit: No luck in forcing it. Getting the same horrible framerate when attempting the Intel HD Graphics as the GTX 660M graphics.