GREAT READ:Making developers more productive — the Dolphin development infrastructure
No I'm not starting another Dolphin vs. PCSX2 war here Nobbs66. I was just linking people to a post I found interesting that offered some insight into how another successful emulator does things. Then ssakash mentioned how he liked their progress reports and how he would like to see PCSX2 do the same, and I agreed with it. There's nothing else going on here, don't jump to conclusions so quickly. Besides, a bit of friendly competition is always good for both projects. Tongue
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU

Sponsored links

We currently have 3 active devs. Most of the bugs that are left would require large rewrites of various components. There's really no reason to have monthly reports when progress is minimal.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(01-26-2015, 07:23 PM)Nobbs66 Wrote: We currently have 3 active devs. Most of the bugs that are left would require large rewrites of various components. There's really no reason to have monthly reports when progress is minimal.
This is an open source project, there are many other contributors. I think monthly reports will also attract other devs to join the project, taking a look at its progress.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
There is nothing to report on a monthly basis, there are no issues closed or branches being worked on. So a monthly report is pretty much impossible.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
I'll extend to you the proposition I've done to Citra¹ already:

If you can provide me something equivalent to Dolphin's fifo logs (the source of data we use for FifoCI) that can be replayed on PCSX2 Linux with OpenGL 3.3 in an automated way (no UI clicks, no requirements to have a game, etc.), I'll commit to running an instance of FifoCI for your project and cover hosting costs for the system (from Dolphin's money, since we have too much of it really). GS dumps seem to be pretty close to what I describe, but AFAIK it's lacking the Linux compatibility and automated replay parts. You know where to contact me (I don't monitor this forum).

¹ If someone from another emulation project is interested, the proposal is opened to you too.
FifoCI will be very useful when there are a lot of changes to the graphics plugin/component. AFAIK, currently GSdx development is inactive.
But a stable version of GSdx OCL might be around the corner. Laugh

Anyway, so maybe not progress reports but what about feature spotlights? That'd be pretty cool and it'd keep the main page updated. Maybe a small article every week about a cool feature in PCSX2 and how it works? Say arbitrary resolution support, or compressed images support, or shader support? I dunno. I think it'd be cool to have a place to link the newcomers to so we can show them all the cool features PCSX2 has.
[Image: pNm13X9.gif]
Windows 10 Pro x64 Version 1909 | AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600 RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD | WD Red Plus 8TB

CPU Intensive Games
GPU Intensive Games
Games that don't need a strong CPU
Even if it's stable but if there is no active development after that, automated tests won't be very useful.
I think the git page is already a nice status summary. You can see what the dev's are working on. I don't think that it is needed to write that extra into a monthly status report.

And some open issues are getting fixed now, or? Those TLB miss stuff gregory is sometimes working on sounds interesting. It already helped some games from nothing to at least ingame if I have seen it correctly
As mentioned, a monthly progress report would be pointless since there's nothing to really report. Development on PCSX2 is pretty minimal at this point so don't expect any revolution to occur any time soon.