Resolved: [Bug Report] Sega Ages 2500 Volume 16: Virtua Fighter 2 [NTSC-J]
Hardware:  2500k @4.5Ghz, GTX 560Ti 1GB, 8GB RAM, Win 7 x64 with GL4.5 capable drivers (347.09)
Version tested: 1.4 and 1.5.0-20160703220416

Emulation settings: Default
GSDX Plugin: 20160703220416 (and any previous that I've tested, quite a few)

Bug:
[Software mode] Characters are rendered completely black, occasionally what appears to be the correct textures appear on the characters for a fraction of a second (I think this possibly depends on the angle of the camera) before going black again.

[Image: vf_S.jpg]

[OpenGL Hardware] Character and background textures are visible but are rendered black and white, speed is drastically reduced.  Tried changing various GSDX settings (Accurate Date, Blending, CRC, 8bit but makes no difference)

[Image: vf_H.jpg]

Edit: GS Dump attached.

Attached Files
.7z   vf2_GSdump.7z (Size: 1,09 MB / Downloads: 514)
i5 7600k, GTX 680, 16GB DDR4 3000
Manjaro [Hakoila] KDE Plasma

Sponsored links

First and foremost, I would recommend upgrading to the latest Nvidia driver as 347.09 is more than a year old! (December 2014)

Luckily, the GTX 500 series is still supported in the latest driver release; which is 368.39
(07-04-2016, 03:31 AM)CK1 Wrote: First and foremost, I would recommend upgrading to the latest Nvidia driver as 347.09 is more than a year old! (December 2014)

Luckily, the GTX 500 series is still supported in the latest driver release; which is 368.39

Thanks, I did try it with a newer/newest driver unfortunately the issue remains so I rolled back to 347.09 (first nvidia driver with OGL 4.5 I believe...) as it seems to perform slightly better for my card in other things.

Not sure if this game is an actual conversion for the PS2 hardware or if it's trying to emulate the arcade game, maybe that's why it has weird texture issues?  Didn't the sega model 2 hardware apply texture maps in a weird way?  I'm sure it was one colour per polygon (but more polygons to create the texture), or was that model 1?  Can't remember now...
i5 7600k, GTX 680, 16GB DDR4 3000
Manjaro [Hakoila] KDE Plasma
The date of the drivers doesn't really matter. There wasn't an issue or lack of 4.5 support in the year old drivers. And that shouldn't have matter for software mode anyway. This is just an old issue, from what I could find the devs knew about this issue years ago.
Not sure I knew about this one Tongue I knew about Sonic Fighters
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

(07-04-2016, 10:49 AM)refraction Wrote: Not sure I knew about this one Tongue I knew about Sonic Fighters
You definitely could've known. You responded to someone mentioning it years ago. Tongue2
yeh well my memory sucks donkey ***** Tongue
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

I have the bug on the SW renderer.
The game uses this kind of effect
* Render palette texture from 0x33E0 to 0x3360
* Then use 0x3360 as a palette texture (main texture is 0x3800)

Current SW texture cache bug, in 1st draw, texture located at 0x3360 will be invalidated. But palette are handled from anothers place.

HW renderer: buggy as hell. We need to instruct the texture cache that palette could be written by the GPU........

I will see if I can fix the SW renderer (not likely)
Ok. I managed to fix the SW renderer. HW renderer will likely never be fixed (beside HW will be slower than SW)
The SW mode fix for this also fixes the sun appearing in front of objects in the Burnout game in SW mode.